Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good to see Baldock back

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He has scored 3 league goals, don't worry if he gets to 15 I will be getting a tattoo of his face on my foot. and if Hemed gets to 20 I will be doing the same BUDDY.

I love it that you are coming across a right arse about one of our own players scoring goals.

Its incredible isn't it. But that said we have had some proper dickhead fans about MOST of our strikers...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think I am right in saying there are only 5 teams who have scored more goals than us this season? Only 3 teams in the top 10 who have scored more.

Some of these teams will have 35% or more of their goals scored by 1 players. Which is great if they stay fit and stay in form. I don't expect many sides will have 8 players contributing 3 or more goals to the team. We've now got 45 goals, and we're looking more dangerous than at any time this season in my opinion.

By the season's end I think we could have 4 or more players in double figures.

I like Baldock, think he has a lot to offer the side, and it doesn't come as a great surprise that Hughton has got him back in as soon as he can. Other than an aberration of a performance in Cardiff, we're looking very handy again.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I think I am right in saying there are only 5 teams who have scored more goals than us this season? Only 3 teams in the top 10 who have scored more.

Some of these teams will have 35% or more of their goals scored by 1 players. Which is great if they stay fit and stay in form. I don't expect many sides will have 8 players contributing 3 or more goals to the team. We've now got 45 goals, and we're looking more dangerous than at any time this season in my opinion.

By the season's end I think we could have 4 or more players in double figures.

I like Baldock, think he has a lot to offer the side, and it doesn't come as a great surprise that Hughton has got him back in as soon as he can. Other than an aberration of a performance in Cardiff, we're looking very handy again.

Albion45 goals scored- Top scorer- Hemed 9 (20%)
8 players with 3+ goals

Teams that have outscored us:

Hull- 48 goals- Hernandez 17 (35.4% of total goals)
6 players with 3+

Burnley- 51 goals -Gray 18 (35.3%)
6 players with 3+

Wednesday :lolol: -50 goals -Forestieri 12 (24%)
8 players with 3+

Brentford-46 goals- Judge 13 (28.2%)
6 players with 3+

Fulham- 51 goals- McCormack 16 (31.3%)
5 players with 3+

It's a slow day today :lolol:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I really don't care whether Baldock scores 15 more or 3 more this season - as long as the TEAM keeps winning.

Sure he should score more than he does, but his movement off the ball (especially this season) has been absolutely superb. In fact, I don't think I've seen an Albion front man with such good movement since the days of Zamora first time round.

The thing is, if do we stop scoring (and therefore winning) with Baldock in the side, he will be the first to lose his place. Otherwise, if it ain't broke don't fix it. It seems his excellent movement is one of many reasons for our success this season.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
A very well considered and thought out post. I would query your application of my "screw it up and throw it in the bin" quote though, that wasn't about people's opinions, that was about the phrase "understanding of football" and in this specific case, it's about using that phrase to suggest someone knows less than someone else. To me, it's not about football knowledge, it's a game of interpretation and, again in my opinion, it's why football is so popular amongst observers. Stand in a concourse before/during/after a match and there's lively debate, that's what I like about football.

What value is clever movement if you're not able to apply it in a productive way?

I wonder what the majority think - whether Baldock is as good as Barnes or not. I suspect the majority would vote NO.

I apologise for misinterpreting what you'd said re the "screw it and throw it in the bin" comment. And I apologise if my prior post came across as offensive. The point I'm making is that football has developed and I'm surprised people still categorise players in such simple terms as "he's a striker, therefore he should have score X amount of goals to be considered good". People have every right to say these things, and as you rightly stated, those different opinions are what makes the game interesting. But people like myself also have the right to counter such arguments with footballing points. Anyway, I think we have similar view points on why we love football, we just totally disagree where Baldock is concerned, and that's half the fun as you said.

The value in clever movement is the space it opens up for more clinical or productive team mates. That's why we've got good results with Baldock in the side this year, as he's made those around him perform better.

I guess for me, the comparison to Barnes is a mute one because they're different types of forwards, and they've played in totally different teams with different ideas on how the game is played. A more sensible comparison would be CMS last year, who essentially played the same role as Baldock (or at least had similar characteristics). Personally, I was never a fan of CMS as he played like a lapdog, chomping at the bit every game without the intelligence in his movement and running to actually help the team. Baldock doesn't score many either and may never do, but he's a much more rounded footballer than CMS, in terms of his touch, his passing, his intelligence... Personally I like both players in their own ways.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I really don't care whether Baldock scores 15 more or 3 more this season - as long as the TEAM keeps winning.

Sure he should score more than he does, but his movement off the ball (especially this season) has been absolutely superb. In fact, I don't think I've seen an Albion front man with such good movement since the days of Zamora first time round.

The thing is, if do we stop scoring (and therefore winning) with Baldock in the side, he will be the first to lose his place. Otherwise, if it ain't broke don't fix it. It seems his excellent movement is one of many reasons for our success this season.

Spot on.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Baldock >> CMS. Far more intelligent and skillful.

Baldock not good enough I'm afraid. He has had plenty of chances to prove himself at Championship level, and not just with us, and has never delivered.

Totally disagree. He was fine this season, ran Ipswich ragged away. He'll get his chance to start again, that's for sure.

Although CMS strike rate is still better than Baldocks for the Albion.

Careful. This fact will cause a Sam B lover reaction.

Where is B.W.?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
1 goal. Let's not pretend he scored against Bristol City, and his celebration was embarrassing. What makes it worse is that Sky Bet use the picture of him celebrating an own goal. :ffsparr:

The CMS comparison is very fair, but CMS never gave defenders a moment peace - Baldock does his running in areas which don't impact the game, it might look like he's working hard but in reality he's just running around and contributing very little indeed. He doesn't offer the team enough to warrant being anywhere near the squad.

A moment's peace? They didn't need one - they were asleep. CMS was unmemorable. Mind you that was part due to the way we played under Gus . . . . But all this Sam vs CMS discussion is silly - CMS does not play for us . . . . .:shrug:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
SB superb again last night, he has reignited our scoring with his movement, pace and reading of the game, no coincidence that Hemed is suddenly back amoung the goals. We've got players attacking across the pitch all prepared to take their man on, and it is creating so many opportunities. They look full of themselves at the moment, great to see.

mxs_harrow

Jan 20, 2009
HA5
To show our appreciation of Sam Baldock, one of our key players, maybe someone good at editorial and stats, could update his Wikipedia page, which is currently out of date, generally unloved, and has barely any Brighton content.

In contrast, his younger brother, George, just recalled to MK Dons from Oxford United, has his bang up to date.

They could be facing each other soon at the Moo Camp....

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
:bounce:

Still undefeated since Baldock has come back to the starting 11, another assist tonight and the man of the match award.

We have not lost in the 20 league games he has started this season; it's becoming one hell of a coincidence.

Last edited:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
There were some blokes behind us giving him crap all night. When he was subbed, I kid you not, they said "About time! He's done nothing all night!"

Sure. Nothing. Apart from skin no less than three defenders and then setup Wilson for the goal.

It's interesting how thousands of people can see the same thing and come to wildly conflicting opinions.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
He was simply fantastic tonight: there were no end of interceptions he made especially in the first half, his movement was great, and he also provided two great assists: one which Wilson put away with aplomb, the other Murphy failed to capitalise.

Edit: just seen the highlights: there was a third great assist, to Stephens in the first half. There was also that miss, when Knockaert set him up and he should have put it away.

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
There were some blokes behind us giving him crap all night. When he was subbed, I kid you not, they said "About time! He's done nothing all night!"

Sure. Nothing. Apart from skin no less than three defenders and then setup Wilson for the goal.

It's interesting how thousands of people can see the same thing and come to wildly conflicting opinions.

See Phat Baz's post on the other thread. Some people just don't watch the game properly.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Will always support any player who puts on the Albion shirt, but I have never been convinced by Baldock.
I'm very surprised he was MOTM tonight.
Like someone pointed out he set up the goal, but thats about all he did tonight. Definetely didnt deserve MOTM
I think Goldson was superb tonight he was my choice.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
See Phat Baz's post on the other thread. Some people just don't watch the game properly.

Yes we do, he did one thing tonight set up a goal , well done that man, but as for the rest of the game ermmm nothing !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here