Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Good old days of GK kicking balls.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
[tweet]1468112469629583365[/tweet]

Found this and thought how times have changed, from the hoof method to playing it out from the back.
(33 seconds in :rolleyes:)

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
There was the classic away at Stoke where Perry Digweed and the Stoke keeper spent the whole game kicking the ball between one another due to the wind, with the only variation being going straight out for a goal kick.

One of the more entertaining 0-0s.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I find it astonishing that it took a hundred years of football for (some, still probably the minority) people to realise this is a pretty dreadful tactic.

Fast forward 20 years and I wonder what tactic we'll look back and laugh at then. I predict crossing corners for somebody to try and head in.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I find it astonishing that it took a hundred years of football for (some, still probably the minority) people to realise this is a pretty dreadful tactic.

Fast forward 20 years and I wonder what tactic we'll look back and laugh at then. I predict crossing corners for somebody to try and head in.

It's a very good tactic ..... if, you're playing on the pitches which were being played on in the first 100 years football existed.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I have no love for GAA but all goalkeepers should take a bit of coaching by them as those guys can kick with amazing accuracy whilst being challenged.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Also very noticeable (to me anyway) that of the 31 clips in that video, all but 4 goalkeepers are wearing a green top.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Always love it when this happens (unless it is against us, obvs...). Just put yer ****ing laces through it, man! :facepalm:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

What with all the information of heading the ball linked with dementia.
Nowadays it is not so prevalent, but then the likes of 80s forwards heading the ball from those launches???

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
How odd, I nearly posted a new thread the other day and the days of when goalkeepers kicked the ball from their hands. It seems like a forgotten age. I mentioned it to my son and he reminded that Sanchez does still occasionally do it, so I shut up at that point!

ps) as a tactic I don't completely discount it, didn't we score our opener in the 1990/91 play off semi final from such a kick. Mark Barham?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Never works, that.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Never works, that.

If you put two players over the corner and you're able to put genuine doubt in the minds of defence and keeper about whether it's going to be an inswinger or outswinger (or maybe you'll even take it short), I think it's a really good idea. I was watching Liverpool's corners at the end of the CL final with Coutois standing outside the 6 yard box plucking the outswingers with ease and was saying to my mate they should get two players out there for the corner.

However, in the clip you've shown and in the other times we've done it, there has not been one shred of doubt in my mind and presumably also the defence over who is taking it. Not even a cursory attempt at deception, which does make me wonder what the point is.

If I was a football manager, i'd have a lefty and righty over every free kick and corner

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here