Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good Ol' Jamie Carragher

ted hitchcock

Sep 7, 2009
He can play in 3 or 4 different positions for England, and is not quite good enough in any of them :facepalm:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Whatever happens he's completely balls up the William Hill 'Pick your 23 for the World Cup' coupon by going back on his retirement decision - not included on the list. I wanted a free £2k holiday.:tantrum:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Most overrated player in history.

not really. he *was* (i repeat was) one of the best central defenders, and i think he quite rightly retired from internationals because he was being passed over for the likes of Wes Brown. he's way past best now and of course only in the frame because the injuries of others, not his own merit.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I just dont get it...... he has been dire this season, there are better RBs and certainly better CBs on current form.

And if he does go as a cover for RB isnt that going against what he said when he retired?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Exactly. Absolutely NOTHING has changed from when he retired. He hasn't bothered with all the qualifiers, sat at home while the others travelled around the Continent, then when the glory part comes up, decides he's happy to sit on the bench again. :angry: At least Scholes had the balls to stick by his decision despite being asked to come along

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
He fits in very well with the current England squad in that he's a complete ****.

HJ if you read JC's autobiography you will realise that he is not a 'complete ****' at all. He is really devoted to football, he is obsessed with it, which makes a change from most of the 'only in it for the money merchants'. He simply got fed up with turning up for squads and being overlooked in favour of Wes Brown.

Also when he 'retired' fron international football and was getting slated on talk sport he had the balls to phone up and defend himself.

I for one am pleased he is in the squad, a highly experienced no thrills player who won't hide when the going gets tough.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
HJ if you read JC's autobiography you will realise that he is not a 'complete ****' at all. He is really devoted to football, he is obsessed with it, which makes a change from most of the 'only in it for the money merchants'. He simply got fed up with turning up for squads and being overlooked in favour of Wes Brown.

Also when he 'retired' fron international football and was getting slated on talk sport he had the balls to phone up and defend himself.

I for one am pleased he is in the squad, a highly experienced no thrills player who won't hide when the going gets tough.

I'm sorry but if someone is devoted to football, they don't turn their back on the team just because they weren't starting. And then to come back after sitting at home whilst the rest of the players went through the exertions of actually qualifying, many of whom didn't get many minutes on the pitch either. The guy is pathetic in my eyes

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ

thats your tfso membership rescinded

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
I'm sorry but if someone is devoted to football, they don't turn their back on the team just because they weren't starting. And then to come back after sitting at home whilst the rest of the players went through the exertions of actually qualifying, many of whom didn't get many minutes on the pitch either. The guy is pathetic in my eyes

He is devoted to football, loves the game. As for coming back, he only responded to a request from Capello, he did not push for it, he did not have a 'I know i will skip the qualifiers and come back for the qualifiers' gameplan in mind. He is a no win situation, if he said no to coming back he would get criticism for saying no.

If he was to pop up in the last minute of extra time and head the winner in the world cup final would he still be 'pathetic' in your eyes mate??

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
He is devoted to football, loves the game. As for coming back, he only responded to a request from Capello, he did not push for it, he did not have a 'I know i will skip the qualifiers and come back for the qualifiers' gameplan in mind. He is a no win situation, if he said no to coming back he would get criticism for saying no.

If he was to pop up in the last minute of extra time and head the winner in the world cup final would he still be 'pathetic' in your eyes mate??

Yeah look at all the abuse Scholes is getting for sticking to his decision and not changing his mind eh?

I would have far more respect for Carragher if he stuck by his retirement and let other players who haven't turned their back on their country given a chance.

He's not even playing well ffs.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think Fabio has been clever. He's thought he needs as many strikers as he can fit in. He doesn't want to take two left backs and two right backs, it's a waste of squad places. Johnson and Cole are, without question, the best English fullbacks around (Johnson is more up for debate than Cole, granted). Who else can play both fullback positions and do a solid job for the team?

James Milner is the only one that springs to mind. Capello is Italian, aswell. He wants experience in the squad, and Carragher is the right age for his squad, in my opinion. I also think that the inclusion of Carragher makes it more likely Adam Johnson will go, and I think he could be absolutely crucial!

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Yeah look at all the abuse Scholes is getting for sticking to his decision and not changing his mind eh?

I would have far more respect for Carragher if he stuck by his retirement and let other players who haven't turned their back on their country given a chance.

He's not even playing well ffs.

Point taken about Scholes and lack of abuse.

I respect him because he was genuine in his reasons for retiring and very open about it.................yes not the best season i agree but he is still a very good defender.

But come on what will be your reaction if he scores the winner in the final?? (Unlikely i know)

O Lads

Dec 16, 2004
His inclusion sums up why we'll do badly at the world cup. He's been rubbish all season yet he still gets called up having not played any qualifiers, yet it's difficult to name a better option.

The 'best of a bad bunch' goalkeeping situation, and players like Emile Heskey being in the squad despite being unable to start for Aston Villa also sums up our squad.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
This the reason he shouldn't ever play for England again. Leave it to the players who do put England at the top of their priorities.

" Whenever I returned home from disappointing England experiences one unshakeable, overriding thought pushed itself to the forefront of my mind, no matter how much the rest of the nation mourned. "At least it wasn't Liverpool," I'd repeat to myself, over and over.

The text messages of consolation I received on the coach included one from Kenny Dalglish. "I would rather miss for England than LFC," I wrote back.

I confess: defeats wearing an England shirt never hurt me in the same way as losing with my club. I wasn't uncaring or indifferent, I simply didn't put England's fortunes at the top of my priority list. Losing felt like a disappointment rather than a calamity."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here