Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Good British TV series & movies?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The Party (Kristin Scott Thomas, Timothy Spall) won't be everyone's cuppa but had me fixated

You were at the wrong party, try The Party (1968) starring Peter Sellars at the top of his game.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
While I've always liked a lot of British music, I've always had something of a disdain (is that a word?) for British TV-series and movies, possibly traumatised by my mother watching EastEnders and Emmerdale and shit... sure I had a hate-love relationship to Mr Bean as a kid and I've enjoyed some classic movies like The Full Monty and Trainspotting, but generally speaking I've not explored this jungle. And I was sort of a James Bond freak for a lot of years but that film series is quite... (swearing in church) American.

Suggestions would be nice.

I have a pretty broad taste but lower-than-normal enthusiasm about crime/sci-fi stuff and "typical British comedy" makes me throw up - I would have ****ing hated the Monty Python movies... if they werent so ****ing brilliant.

I have a sweet spot for portrayals of rather normal lives with special flavours... I dont fancy the "ohh, will he get the girl or not" predictable stuff, but more of the "how is this wild road trip to Bristol gonna turn out for this perfectly normal human" stuff.

Well.. nough.. just bring me your best!

Why not send an email to PB? :clap:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
TV wise there’s been some great stuff over the years.

Cracker
Line of Duty
Bodies
The Singing Detective
Tutti Frutti
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

And plays

Abigail’s Party (a little cheesy pineapple one?)
Cathy Come Home

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
British Comedy which won't make you throw up?

Try Brass, A superb satire of the Upstairs/Downstairs era of British TV, late 1980's from memory.

Played absolutely straight with no laughter track, almost unbelievably it was on ITV.

Couldn't have been a ratings winner but the scripts and performances were as good as anything I have ever watched.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
In my school we've watched English movies every Friday now. Today we saw "Pride" about the whole LGSM thing in the 80s. Surprisingly good actually. Not too sentimental, not too "in your face"-morale stuff and just generally a good watch.

Last week was The Full Monty... seen it before. Bit overrated but alright.

Shakespeare in Love was the worst shit I've ever seen I think. Down with those kind of things.

Also a few others I cant remember right now...

But overall it has increased my interest in British movies. Some good stuff out there.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
In my school we've watched English movies every Friday now. Today we saw "Pride" about the whole LGSM thing in the 80s. Surprisingly good actually. Not too sentimental, not too "in your face"-morale stuff and just generally a good watch.

Shakespeare in Love was the worst shit I've ever seen I think. Down with those kind of things.

But overall it has increased my interest in British movies. Some good stuff out there.

Pride is very good, never really cared about the other two. If you want a to try a new one I recommend Ali and Ava

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
TV comedy series - The Thick Of It. Brilliant, a close to reality mocking of hopeless ministers, senior civil servants & bullying spin doctors. 10/10.
Doctor Foster.
Line of Duty (series 2 onwards) - improbable for the UK storylines, compelling.

Movies - Gregory’s Girl, Life of Brian.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
The Magpie Murders. 6 parter available on Britbox on the 7 day free trial. If you have time, you could also enjoy the 3 part series Death in Provence starring the wonderful Roger Allam.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Great British (and once you start watching them they are clearly British) Movies are virtually everything that Powell and Pressburger did in the 1940's and 50's. Especially A Canterbury Tale, The Life & Death of Colonel Blimp and the sublime A Matter of Life and Death but they are all worth watching...

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Agreed about Pride. If you like that, try Brassed Off which is a bit like Full Monty, but with anger running through it.
[MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION] is spot on with Thick of It, but it just prompts Brass Eye and The Day Today

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
A bit of Cloughie. The Damned United.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Agreed about Pride. If you like that, try Brassed Off which is a bit like Full Monty, but with anger running through it.
[MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION] is spot on with Thick of It, but it just prompts Brass Eye and The Day Today

Brassed Off - can never watch Pete Postlethwaite's speech in the Albert Hall without a tear coming to my eye. Every single time.

For those of us who lived through the Thatcher years, it can't help but be upsetting....still.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here