Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone retail park quandary

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
Mrs CG has asked me to look on the DFS website with a view to buying a new 3 piece suite. To my horror, the only DFS in Sussex is at the Goldstone Retail Park, a place I have refused even to drive past, let alone visit. With Falmer rising so beautifully, is it time to lay my Goldstone ghost to rest? I should add that each time we visit Brighton and I take a lengthy diversion round the OSR, my wife sits there tutting and rolling her eyes. I know the only people I can turn to for a decision like this are the people of NSC!

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
You know the answer don't you....................

Visiting the Demolished Football Stadium is not an option.

or is that only for people who find it hard to forgive and forget?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I was in a similar situation a few years back over a sofa. I refused to go there and a few years on am bloody glad I did.

I think you'll regret going there , especially as you can't drive past (something I can and could do)

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I bit the bullet a long time ago. It did feel a bit strange at first, but there were happy memories to be had there.

Going there is not about forgiving a previous regime or forgetting the struggles, just accepting that it happened and we are now stronger in spite of Archer, Stanley and Belotti.

We left the Goldstone when I was 16 and will have our new stadium when I am 31 - the best years for supporting a football club have coincided with a spell at an athletics track :tantrum:

I would go for it, personally.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
I bit the bullet a long time ago. It did feel a bit strange at first, but there were happy memories to be had there.

Going there is not about forgiving a previous regime or forgetting the struggles, just accepting that it happened and we are now stronger in spite of Archer, Stanley and Belotti.

We left the Goldstone when I was 16 and will have our new stadium when I am 31 - the best years for supporting a football club have coincided with a spell at an athletics track :tantrum:

Same with me, although one year younger.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Go to Furniture Village instead!

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Absolutely No. Not until the retailers or freeholders build a memorial to recognise and celebrate the land that they're trading on.

If they did that they'd get a few more punters - me included.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I agree with this.

Boycotting the goldstone retail park does nothing, it doesn't get revenge on Archer, Stanley or Belotti. They won't even know if you go or not. They're not keeping tabs and thinking "ooh if enough fans go to that burger king we can claim forgiveness!"

You don't have to forgive and forget to move on with your life and it just seems like silliness to avoid it because of our history. It doesn't change anything, it doesn't make you more of a fan, it makes you a little like those obsessed Harry Potter fans who slate the movies because Hermione's yule ball dress was pink instead of periwinkle blue (yes, they exist). It's a touch too far, imo.

Last edited:

Chester Drawers

Apr 15, 2004
Belair
Couldnt do it personally, Im fairly sure that some old die hard supporter(s) of days gone by had their ashes scattered over various parts of the ground in the belief that a little bit of them would be forever Albion ...

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham

All really interesting posts, most particularly the one above. Having said that, I still don't think I'd feel comfortable. Maybe if they had some sort of monument or plaque I would feel better, just some sort of acknowledgement of the history of the spot, of the thousands and thousands of people down the years who poured out so much passion and emotion at that very spot. Although I've still got anger and regret at how it ended there, some sort of acknowledgement about what the Goldstone Ground meant to the fans and to the town would help overcome all that. I would happily go if I could see a plaque or similar.

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
I've had the same quandry, also about Toy R' Us with my two kiddies. I always said I wouldn't until the new stadium was built, but have started to wonder if that time is now, with Falmer rising so majestically.

But... I still can't at the moment. As for blaming the stores, I still hope (against hope) they are not doing well, just to put off anyone doing anything similar again.

Don't do it!

J2 BHA

Jul 28, 2004
I respect anyone who chooses not to go there because that whole saga was, and still is, a terrible time in the clubs history. Having said that, I have been going there literally since the day it opened as i personally never saw any connection between the shops there and tossers like Belotti and Archer. I always thought that if I didnt go i'd only be cutting my nose off to spite my face as they say.

The decision to go there is something personal in my opinion, i can see both sides but if you have to come on here to ask whether to go there or not you obviously can't feel strongly about not going yourself so i'd say go for it (that's not meant as a pop at you, just my interpretation from what you posted!).

Either way...bring on Falmer, popped up there for a look yesterday and it's looking GOOD!

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
You will feel dirty, go elsewhere, let the shops go bust and hopefully it will turn into a dustbowl then a park and Hove FC will build a new stadium there, until one day we have our first city derby.

Buying a sofa will fund them and stop the dream from ever happening.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Really think you should move on it is a store not a football ground, the new football ground should help make the decision

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I respect anyone who chooses not to go there because that whole saga was, and still is, a terrible time in the clubs history. Having said that, I have been going there literally since the day it opened as i personally never saw any connection between the shops there and tossers like Belotti and Archer. I always thought that if I didnt go i'd only be cutting my nose off to spite my face as they say.

The decision to go there is something personal in my opinion, i can see both sides but if you have to come on here to ask whether to go there or not you obviously can't feel strongly about not going yourself so i'd say go for it (that's not meant as a pop at you, just my interpretation from what you posted!).

Either way...bring on Falmer, popped up there for a look yesterday and it's looking GOOD!
My view entirely, I've been going there for years. I DID feel a bit of a traitor the first time I went (which was pretty soon after it was built), but it soon passed and now I go there without a second thought - indeed it's often our first port of call.

Anyway I'm glad people still boycott it as it means less competition for the parking spaces.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here