Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone Memories - 1964/65

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
You're right, it was an incredible team. I think the thing that really stands out is the number of players with top flight pedigree who were prepared to drop into the old Fourth Division to play for us. That simply wouldn't happen now. Players with a top flight CV tend to be financially set for life and don't need to continue turning out in the lower leagues later in their careers until, in effect, their bodies fail them. Bobby Smith coming to us from Spurs would be like Wayne Rooney signing for Portsmouth now. Can you imagine that?

Spurs had a policy then that when a top player was coming to the end they would sell him for a knock down price so the player could negotiate a better deal with his new club than he would have been able to if they had to pay full price for him. From memory I think we paid 5,000 for Bobby Smith.

No doubt a fair amount of the deal he negotiated would have ended up on Brighton Racecourse.

But a fantastic season. We were promoted well before Easter and Champions with a few games still to go, and unbeaten at home all season.

But if I remember correctly we lost the first home game of the next season. Back down to earth again. Welcome to the Albion!

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Won 18, drew five and lost none; that was our home record for the 1964/65 season, scoring 68 goals and conceding just 10 in the process. That's a goal shy of three goals per game at the Goldstone. THREE GOALS PER GAME! No wonder people have such fond memories of that season.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Our HOME (League) record that season:

22 Aug v Barrow W 3-1
25 Aug v Oxford United D 0-0
5 Sep v Rochdale W 3-0
15 Sep v Newport County W 1-0
19 Sep v Bradford City D 3-3
3 Oct v Torquay United W 3-1
6 Oct v York City W 3-1
10 Oct v Notts County W 6-0
20 Oct v Lincoln City W 4-0
24 Oct v Doncaster Rovers D 1-1
7 Nov v Bradford Park Avenue D 2-2
24 Nov v Wrexham W 5-1
19 Dec v Hartlepool United W 5-0
26 Dec v Halifax Town W 2-1
9 Jan v Crewe Alexandra W 3-1
16 jan v Millwall W 2-0
6 Feb v Chester D 4-4
27 Feb v Chesterfield W 5-0
13 Mar v Aldershot W 2-0
26 Mar v Southport W 3-1
10 Apr v Tranmere Rovers W 2-1
19 Apr v Stockport County W 3-1
26 Apr v Darlington W 3-1

Great stuff.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I wasn't born until 1968, but I was coached by Mel Hopkins when I played for Shoreham Boys in my teens. Lovely man, with quite a temper!

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Mel Hopkins did a lot of work across Sussex involving grass roots football, sports centres, etc. Including, I seem to remember, in Horsham. Not sure about the temper, but he was from the South Wales valleys so probably didn't suffer fools gladly!

The crowds that season were huge, especially by Division Four standards (circa 20,000 for the opener v Barrow, over 31,000 for the last home game v Darlington). Bobby Smith's arrival from Spurs had much to do with that. But just look at the results that Hiney just posted; who wouldn't want to go and watch a team running up scores like that?

el punal

Spurs had a policy then that when a top player was coming to the end they would sell him for a knock down price so the player could negotiate a better deal with his new club than he would have been able to if they had to pay full price for him. From memory I think we paid 5,000 for Bobby Smith.

No doubt a fair amount of the deal he negotiated would have ended up on Brighton Racecourse.

But a fantastic season. We were promoted well before Easter and Champions with a few games still to go, and unbeaten at home all season.

But if I remember correctly we lost the first home game of the next season. Back down to earth again. Welcome to the Albion!

The story I heard was that Bobby Smith was sold to the Albion for £5000, but they had to also pay his gambling debts which were considerable. How true this is is anyone's guess. Can anyone confirm?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

We were the shrimps until the mid 70"s (although the name was hardly used).Then the club decided to rebrand to The Dolphins, partly because of the opening of the Dolphinarium. As they were doing that the fans decided on the Seagulls to counter the lot up the road. "Have you ever seen a seagull **** an eagle" was heard at The Goldstone for the first time. So the club threw away The Dolphins scarves and went with the flow.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Yes, we were. I had a football card from a collection that had The Shrimps as the nickname.

We were the shrimps until the mid 70"s (although the name was hardly used).Then the club decided to rebrand to The Dolphins, partly because of the opening of the Dolphinarium. As they were doing that the fans decided on the Seagulls to counter the lot up the road. "Have you ever seen a seagull **** an eagle" was heard at The Goldstone for the first time. So the club threw away The Dolphins scarves and went with the flow.

You may not wish to believe me, but you should probably pay heed to Tim Carder (@The History Man on here), official club historian and leading authority on the history of the club:-

Previous Brighton nicknames and chants...

We were never the Shrimps. It's a myth, as Tim Carder has shown.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here