Gold & Sullivan Christmasses have all come at once

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think you will find that a certain NSC'er brought up this very issue on Five Live when the announcement was made in relation to the West Ham season ticket prices for the new ground over a month ago. :)

Which one?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We still won't be selling the ground, it's nothing to do with selling the club as a ground as an asset would not be included
Yes you would be selling the ground, in the same way that anyone who owns a flat would sell their flat (even thought they don't own the freehold, and are only selling the lease). Comparing your new ground to people who have a counsel house is just stupid/disingenuous.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's totally different, Arsenal were buying their stadium, that was their mortgage repayment and i thought it was much higher than that as they paid off the loan in a short time (might be wrong on that though) WHU are paying rent as they will never own the stadium

It's not totally different. Stadia have a limited shelf life and are a wasting asset, then they have to be rebuilt, it's not like Arsenal can put the Emirates on Zoopla and cash in.

In 30-40 years time Arsenal will need to build another Emirates so will gave to fork out again. West Ham, courtesy of the taxpayer, can bank their £17 million saved per season and buy a £600 mill stadium in 2050 for cash. I reiterate, football deal of the century for West Ham but will be despised by most fans elsewhere.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
It's not totally different. Stadia have a limited shelf life and are a wasting asset, then they have to be rebuilt, it's not like Arsenal can put the Emirates on Zoopla and cash in.

In 30-40 years time Arsenal will need to build another Emirates so will gave to fork out again. West Ham, courtesy of the taxpayer, can bank their £17 million saved per season and buy a £600 mill stadium in 2050 for cash. I reiterate, football deal of the century for West Ham but will be despised by most fans elsewhere.

The tax payer pays agian.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It is because these "greedy people" are absolutely everywhere in our game. They run from players to agents to owners and administrators.

The powers that be in our game have no backbone to sand up to and regulate such people. The Premier League and Champions League was introduced via pressure from the big clubs who wanted to look after their own interests. They ran the deals and held all the cards while threatening to bugger off and form a European super league. Perhaps the FA should have held their bluff and/or let them leave, at least they would still have some control over the game.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The tax payer pays agian.

Not really. The taxpayer paid for the stadium the first time round.

Anything the government gets back from the deal is a bonus given that the legacy planning was so poor.

Can't blame West Ham for negotiating the best deal possible. It's more than Orient or Spurs offered, so it's a least bad situation.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Not really. The taxpayer paid for the stadium the first time round.

Anything the government gets back from the deal is a bonus given that the legacy planning was so poor.

Can't blame West Ham for negotiating the best deal possible. It's more than Orient or Spurs offered, so it's a least bad situation.

I thought it was costing a fortune to revamp into a footy stadium. Might be wrong, wouldnt be the first time :)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I thought it was costing a fortune to revamp into a footy stadium. Might be wrong, wouldnt be the first time :)

You're right, taxpayer is paying conversion costs. The alternative was letting the stadium rot though, or dismantling it at an even higher cost.

It's not a good deal, but there were no better offers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports