Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Going to the Amex with boisterous kids

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Would avoid the Family part of the East Stand. You'd get complaints you were distracting the kids playing on their tablets during the match
I will never, ever understand this. I've got friends that recently took their kids to their first game at Craven Cottage (Fulham fans). He said to me "It will be interesting to see how long they last before we have to get their tablets out". Just WTF? Why parent your kids like that? Why teach them that if something isn't completely gathering your full attention then you can switch to a screen? It just makes zero sense to me, you're teaching them an absolutely terrible message. And while you think it is the easy option, it's actually the opposite as long term it's going to be a constant problem for you! And apart from anything else, if I am paying £50 for a kid to do something, they are damn well doing it, I'm not giving them a second option that they could do at home for free.

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
Took my daughter (3 1/2) to the Liverpool game last weekend. It's her third game, but first since she was a babe in arms. She absolutely loved it being sat in the West Upper.

Took it out of her a bit as she fell asleep in the second half (can't say she won't sleep through anything now!) but she's been going on about it all week and can't wait to go again so I think it was a hit...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I will never, ever understand this. I've got friends that recently took their kids to their first game at Craven Cottage (Fulham fans). He said to me "It will be interesting to see how long they last before we have to get their tablets out". Just WTF? Why parent your kids like that? Why teach them that if something isn't completely gathering your full attention then you can switch to a screen? It just makes zero sense to me, you're teaching them an absolutely terrible message. And while you think it is the easy option, it's actually the opposite as long term it's going to be a constant problem for you! And apart from anything else, if I am paying £50 for a kid to do something, they are damn well doing it, I'm not giving them a second option that they could do at home for free.
I took my 3 boys to Withdean in the rain several times. Wasn't a success. They cried and wanted to go home.
15 years later. All three are now avid fans - travelling away and all that. One has been a season ticket holder since the Amex opened.
Good luck saying to any kids of any age ha ha "you are damn well doing it" for anything (cinema, football, the park, playing sport) especially under 10s or under 5s. But perhaps you've cracked it !!

PS: What kids ticket to the Premier League costs £50 ?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Don't worry about it. We need youngsters comming and enjoying it. If there are grumps around you as long as he is not kicking their chair constantly, then ignore them.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
As an aside I was watching the ITV rugby highlights show the other week and a club (London Irish I think) had a load of play and exercise stuff for youngsters in the concourse as to stretch attract parents and they said entertain and wear the kids out before the game and at half time. Seemed like a decent idea

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We tried sitting in the East Lower near the away fans and it wasn't our cup of tea; seemed a lot of the people around us were daytrippers that give you dirty looks for singing etc. I guess a lot of it depends on the opposition and importance of the fixture and whatever
We had a lot of that NE corner in the CH years. Surrounded by (younger) middle aged people who always remained seated, I was stared at for chanting and standing up to roar on Knockaert et al in fast-paced counter attacks. I stood out like a sore thumb :lolol:. I'm not even that vocal a supporter these days, but I do have a loud, deep voice that can carry when I want! [For example "Wake up Hoyte, for f*** sake" in an earlier era].

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m in the first row of the North and love it, I tried the WSU for a cup game and felt detached from the action could have been watching on tele. Weststand lower is ok although you have to strain your neck at times if you are near the corners. East Stand upper good view weird people, again felt detached. South stand I didn’t enjoy at all.
At the Goldstone I was always at the NS fence guess that’s why I like the first row.
Were you part of the bundle hugging Solly when he scored the other week?

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Only advise would be to get him to pay his own season ticket when he is 18.

Some how, I'm still paying for my 20 year olds season ticket. His defence is I gave him the bug so I have to pay for it.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Many of us on here were taken by our Dads to our first match at round about the age of your son. I took my sons at a similar age and it’s a brilliant Dad / son bonding thing. Take him where you think you get the best combination of safety and atmosphere. Don’t worry about the banter and language - see it as an opportunity to broaden your son’s vocabulary!

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
So I am now at the point in life where my lad loves the Albion as much as I do, and it's all happened organically; I manage his under 8s team which is full of City/Chelsea/Arsenal/United/Spurs fans up here in the footballing hotbed of West Berkshire. My Liverpool-supporting dad & Spurs supporting brother-in-law have tried to influence him and he has shrugged it all off to stick with the Albion, which, needless to say, is absolutely lovely stuff.

He has been to the Amex with me twice this season after we went to the Reading pre-season game together and he started getting the bug. He absolutely loves it and gets pissy with me for ages when I go to games without him now, so I'm planning on getting us season tickets for next season if it's possible.

I am bringing him down for the Bournemouth game on Sat. He has been banging on about it for weeks now, counting down the days literally every morning with his Albion shirt and Sanchez-marked Spain flag ready at the foot of his bed. We both like to go in the North Stand where we can stand up and get a bit boisterous, but last time I bought him down for the Leicester 5-2 game (the game that really got him hooked), I got a load of shit from the stewards for standing him up on an empty chair next to us and they eventually forced us to move to seats in the corner and threatened to boot us out if I didn't budge. So I have tickets in the West Lower for Saturday, closer to our part of the south stand, which I hope will be a good middle ground?

We tried sitting in the East Lower near the away fans and it wasn't our cup of tea; seemed a lot of the people around us were daytrippers that give you dirty looks for singing etc. I guess a lot of it depends on the opposition and importance of the fixture and whatever

Just wanted to gauge where other people with boisterous kids that want to get involved in the singing and everything go for future reference?! I always go in the North Stand myself when I'm with adults, just a bit further down from the police box; only went in the West Lower once before which was for the first game v Donny which probably isn't a fair barometer!

Many thanks,
WFP
8yo is too young (well, too short) for most of the North and I get why the stewards got iffy about standing on the seats.

I would recommend the SW corner. It's like a family friendly version of the North (but sat down). Lots of flag waving too.

_and_son and I started there when it first opened and at about the same age. Eventually he said one season he was ready and we moved to the back of the North.

Can heartily recommend that as an option.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
We’ve (8 year old and me) just moved for next season to the North Shelf, near the front and aisle seats.

We’ve nearly done the full tour.

started in the north (seat and Standing issues)
Did a few games in the east upper (pending relocation to W3I) but had enough of the glares for being vocal.

W3I not bad but personal preference felt detached and the stairs!

This season W3H great view and enough atmosphere but had enough of the view being block from 35 mins onwards due to those needing a drink and food that early in the game.

N2A next year, research seems to show a good view and has its own concourse and toilets which meets the bladder requirements of my son!
The added bonus being the price point locked in for him now until he’s 18 as next year it jumps 40% if we stay in the west lower

The only negative I can see is upgrading his ticket to an adult if he can’t go, which I don’t think I can do as it’s the family stand

Last edited:

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
So I am now at the point in life where my lad loves the Albion as much as I do, and it's all happened organically; I manage his under 8s team which is full of City/Chelsea/Arsenal/United/Spurs fans up here in the footballing hotbed of West Berkshire. My Liverpool-supporting dad & Spurs supporting brother-in-law have tried to influence him and he has shrugged it all off to stick with the Albion, which, needless to say, is absolutely lovely stuff.

He has been to the Amex with me twice this season after we went to the Reading pre-season game together and he started getting the bug. He absolutely loves it and gets pissy with me for ages when I go to games without him now, so I'm planning on getting us season tickets for next season if it's possible.

I am bringing him down for the Bournemouth game on Sat. He has been banging on about it for weeks now, counting down the days literally every morning with his Albion shirt and Sanchez-marked Spain flag ready at the foot of his bed. We both like to go in the North Stand where we can stand up and get a bit boisterous, but last time I bought him down for the Leicester 5-2 game (the game that really got him hooked), I got a load of shit from the stewards for standing him up on an empty chair next to us and they eventually forced us to move to seats in the corner and threatened to boot us out if I didn't budge. So I have tickets in the West Lower for Saturday, closer to our part of the south stand, which I hope will be a good middle ground?

Just wanted to gauge where other people with boisterous kids that want to get involved in the singing and everything go for future reference?! I always go in the North Stand myself when I'm with adults, just a bit further down from the police box; only went in the West Lower once before which was for the first game v Donny which probably isn't a fair barometer!

Many thanks,
WFP
Personally I wouldn’t take a young child to the north stand . The noise and language is not good for young children . Take them to any other area where they have a seat & are expected to sit in it In reality he could still sit on your lap & jump up and down at exciting moments of the game .

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Took my daughter (3 1/2) to the Liverpool game last weekend. It's her third game, but first since she was a babe in arms. She absolutely loved it being sat in the West Upper.

Took it out of her a bit as she fell asleep in the second half (can't say she won't sleep through anything now!) but she's been going on about it all week and can't wait to go again so I think it was a hit...
I’m not trying to aggravate but taking any child under 5 is in my opinion ridiculous . Too much noise can easily frighten young children & also being surrounded by large crowds can cause anxiety . Ask any child experts .

Unnecessary.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
At IFK Gothenburg they have a fantastic concept called "Young Fellows".

There's a small section for kids aged 9-15 to sit without their parents. The club provides staff to look after them. They get chants going, wave flags and just have a blast. Theres usually a part in the match where the ultras actively involve them in a chant, too.

I think it's a great idea.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
South stand I didn’t enjoy at all.
Did you find it really annoying that the people around you were wearing funny colours and kept singing songs you didn't recognise?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I’m not trying to aggravate but taking any child under 5 is in my opinion ridiculous . Too much noise can easily frighten young children & also being surrounded by large crowds can cause anxiety . Ask any child experts .

Unnecessary.
Every child is different. Some can cope and some can't so your opinion is wrong. Parents know what their own children can cope with, and we also have a family stand, where it isn't as noisy as the north.
I don't claim to be an expert but I have had two kids, and have grandchildren.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just for balance (and in case @keaton was actually being serious), loads of kids watching their tablets instead of the game is NOT a 'thing' in the FS. Having been there for about nine seasons – in various different seats – I can comfortably count on one hand the amount of kids I've seen glued to tablets during games. What DOES happen (and this isn't just restricted to the FS) is people (even ADULTS) checking their phones for social media, fantasy league scores, or just general stuff when the game is going on in front of them.

In that respect, isn't that even worse than kids watching a tablet?

Anyway, it doesn't sound like the OP is going to be getting seats in block E1B/C, so it doesn't matter. But we like it (although it won't be long before the Bobkin Jnrs are too old of it there) and it's a great area of the ground. Close enough to the North Stand to to encourage them to SIGN up, for a start...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here