Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Going rate for a carpenter?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
We‘re having new flooring laid next week, but having ripped up the old carpet we found the floorboards had been mangled by someone doing pipe work. The lad next door is a chippy, and he’s put in a couple of hours replacing the dodgy bits.

Obviously we’ll pay him cash, but what’s a reasonable rate? He’s a good lad, and helped us at short notice.

Last edited:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Good, £200+ a day but will include the small trimmings you forgot. Bad, £125 but will charge £300
Although it's only a couple of hours remember it's probably half a day lost elsewhere or even a whole day.
If he's done a very good job I'd say £75 or even £100 and he'll offer again. Any less and he'll be busy next time you want him.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
We‘re having new flooring laid next week, but having ripped up the old carpet we found the floorboards had been mangled by someone doing pipe work. The lad next is a chippy, and he’s put in a couple of hours replacing the dodgy bits.

Obviously we’ll pay him cash, but what’s a reasonable rate? He’s a good lad, and helped us at short notice.
I had a carpenter make some stuff for me , his labour excluding all materials was £300 per day . He did a very good job .

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Good, £200+ a day but will include the small trimmings you forgot. Bad, £125 but will charge £300
Although it's only a couple of hours remember it's probably half a day lost elsewhere or even a whole day.
If he's done a very good job I'd say £75 or even £100 and he'll offer again. Any less and he'll be busy next time you want him.
Yeah, I was thinking £100 plus parts. He’s not actually lost work elsewhere, as he’s doing it afterwards (he lives next door). Want to keep him onside for future work. 😉

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Yeah, I was thinking £100 plus parts. He’s not actually lost work elsewhere, as he’s doing it afterwards (he lives next door). Want to keep him onside for future work. 😉
Similar for me. I've a plumber by trade and general builder when needed. Pay him £100 if he pops around to mend a leaking pipe (last time was a major leak and he put down his dinner).

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Similar for me. I've a plumber by trade and general builder when needed. Pay him £100 if he pops around to mend a leaking pipe (last time was a major leak and he put down his dinner).
This. Amazing how any people this £20 for a couple of hours work in the evenings is ok. They dontt get another 'favour' after that.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Day rate for our chaps to install ply board etc is £250 we pay them, you would obviously pay more to a franchise.
I’d give him between £150-£200, you don’t wanna upset a neighbour if he’s done a good job.
Peace of mind and all that, you don’t want him telling the whole street you took the piss.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Day rate for our chaps to install ply board etc is £250 we pay them, you would obviously pay more to a franchise.
I’d give him between £150-£200, you don’t wanna upset a neighbour if he’s done a good job.
Peace of mind and all that, you don’t want him telling the whole street you took the piss.
Cheers, he’s still working at the moment, so will see how long it takes.
BTW, I think it was yourself that recommended LVTs? All on you if Mrs Oxy isn’t happy when it’s all finished next week. 😂
We’ve gone with a small local flooring company, rather than a franchise.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
What was the dinner? I'll put some down my pipe next time I get a leak.

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
We‘re having new flooring laid next week, but having ripped up the old carpet we found the floorboards had been mangled by someone doing pipe work. The lad next door is a chippy, and he’s put in a couple of hours replacing the dodgy bits.

100 million albums. On the day that you were born the angels got together....

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Cheers, he’s still working at the moment, so will see how long it takes.
BTW, I think it was yourself that recommended LVTs? All on you if Mrs Oxy isn’t happy when it’s all finished next week. 😂
We’ve gone with a small local flooring company, rather than a franchise.
What’s LVT’S?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
From the Checkatrade site, I’m not sure how many work for £20 per hour in Brighton.

Attachments

• 1FC73793-831B-4180-8CCA-2DCEEA596EF5.jpeg
    1FC73793-831B-4180-8CCA-2DCEEA596EF5.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

Ask him how much you owe him and pay said amount.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here