Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Going backwards in every respect

grumpyoldgit

Mar 29, 2012
When the highlight of the whole game was their fantastic free kick that smashed into the back of their own player who was jogging away and out for a throw in says it all, we had quite a few dodgy games last season Ipswich away being probably the worst but today was worrying as Wednesday were as bad as us but there fans were giving it the ole's in the 1st game of the season at home.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I am pretty disappointed in Tony and his cohorts rather dismissive approach to this season. We are a club going backwards on the field and it has been obvious to some since the beginning of last season. Maybe it will all change over the next week, I fear it won't.

If this is how it has to be, at least be honest with us, we can take it.
Sacrilege, but exactly how a few of us are feeling right now (& I've always been the ultimate optimist). Having got away with last season we can't afford to be complacent & write another one off. I think perhaps some of those running the club have underestimated how much some of the advances in results and player recruitment in the last season or four aren't ours by right but maybe down to the previous two managers' skill and profile in the game. Perhaps we have some suits a little too big for their boots?..

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I miss the beautiful passing game that Gus's team played. Yes, it often lacked an end product, but was a joy to watch and the envy of many other teams.

I am trying to understand exactly what Sami's 'style' is - hopefully it will become clearer as time goes on.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That was a very poor Wednesday side. The number of chances that went begging, they could have scored three or four. (If they'd signed Ashley Barnes they'd have done exactly that) Alarms bells should be ringing all over the club now, the current squad is SERIOUSLY weakened compared to last season. And that one was seriously weakened compared to the season before. It's a slow drift in one direction only.

Jan 30, 2008
Went to the ground to buy ticket wasn't prepared to wait in queue so went back to brighton for a beer .......... result
regards
DR

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I miss the beautiful passing game that Gus's team played. Yes, it often lacked an end product, but was a joy to watch and the envy of many other teams.

I am trying to understand exactly what Sami's 'style' is - hopefully it will become clearer as time goes on.

My thoughts exactly

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Oh another bedwetter and..... Oh, what is that on my own sheets. When the saturated covers have a stench of Guinness, then something is afoot. The above analysis is symbolic of my own thoughts too- I was only speaking to my new next door neighbour in the sleeping dormontaries of the Upper East about how a deployed wing-back needs to have an asset of pace.

It is early, but the usual confidence of the first game was absent for me today. I thinking of a positive to add as I empty the Persil cup and switch the washing machine on, but I'll leave that to time and its healing qualities, as I pop down to Asda for some spare bed covers in case the weather doesn't allow the others to dry in time for the next match.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Yes, one game into Hyypias tenure and it is obvious he just doesn't know what he is doing, completely inept. We should sack him now, and get in a manager who knows what he is doing, and will wave to the crowd the whole game. Ninety minutes of football is more than enough for all the experts on here, some of whom were actually at the game today, to pass judgement on a man with a vast amount of experience in the game,until of course the next manager (the fans choice) has the temerity to lose a game.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
One win in thirteen now for Hyppia. Get rid now or we're all dooooomed.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

He was the last manager to be properly backed and able to sign players that he wanted and with a decent budget.

As much as Poyet sickened me after the Palace second leg I now totally understand why he felt he had to get away..and I never thought I would feel that way.

I also understand why Oscar legged it as well.

If we are going to be Championship also rans and potential relegation strugglers until the academy starts producing, it would be good to be told.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
When the highlight of the whole game was their fantastic free kick that smashed into the back of their own player who was jogging away and out for a throw in says it all, we had quite a few dodgy games last season Ipswich away being probably the worst but today was worrying as Wednesday were as bad as us but there fans were giving it the ole's in the 1st game of the season at home.

That was very funny, though.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
3 points at home to a team as bad as Wednesday is a given for all the top sides - which means (now at least) we are off the pace and nearer the bottom than the top.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Right. Glad I've got your attention. Obviously it's the first game of a long season. Obviously the transfer window closes at the end of August and we appear to have several irons in several fires. Obviously playing with 10 men against a team as adept at time wasting as Wednesday is never going to turn out well. Obviously we still have a club, The Amex is lovely, the seats are padded yada, yada, yada.

Nevertheless I am about to wet the bed. Regular readers on here and of last season's blog will know this is actually out of character. I understand FFP. I understand how much money TB has put in and, no, I don't have that much myself. I understand we have the best Academy in the country and this is going to give us a rosy long term future. So I have to say:

When you start with Shamir Fenelon and O'Grady in the Championship where once it was Barnes and Ulloa you are going backwards. When you have to play your reserve right back as a left wing back you are going backwards. When you play another ex-devteam squad player as one of two holding midfielders when his major weakness is tackling you are going backwards. When you no longer have Mathew Upson reading the game and controlling the spine you are going backwards. When your answer to this is to put on an overweight, out of favour player with the pace of a snail on mogadon and who cannot accurately pass a bottle of port you are going backwards.

This squad doesn't need three or four additions. It needs major surgery.

agree with this but it won't make the happy clapper brigade love you. It looks like a tough season ahead and when the new players ( if any ) do come in we could be 10-15pts behind and playing catch up with players who are likely to need pre season training of sorts and then getting used to our style of play. Fail to prepare prepare to fail

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Right. Glad I've got your attention. Obviously it's the first game of a long season. Obviously the transfer window closes at the end of August and we appear to have several irons in several fires. Obviously playing with 10 men against a team as adept at time wasting as Wednesday is never going to turn out well. Obviously we still have a club, The Amex is lovely, the seats are padded yada, yada, yada.

Nevertheless I am about to wet the bed. Regular readers on here and of last season's blog will know this is actually out of character. I understand FFP. I understand how much money TB has put in and, no, I don't have that much myself. I understand we have the best Academy in the country and this is going to give us a rosy long term future. So I have to say:

When you start with Shamir Fenelon and O'Grady in the Championship where once it was Barnes and Ulloa you are going backwards. When you have to play your reserve right back as a left wing back you are going backwards. When you play another ex-devteam squad player as one of two holding midfielders when his major weakness is tackling you are going backwards. When you no longer have Mathew Upson reading the game and controlling the spine you are going backwards. When your answer to this is to put on an overweight, out of favour player with the pace of a snail on mogadon and who cannot accurately pass a bottle of port you are going backwards.
J
This squad doesn't need three or four additions. It needs major surgery.

agree with this but it won't make the happy clapper brigade love you. It looks like a tough season ahead and when the new players ( if any ) do come in we could be 10-15pts behind and playing catch up with players who are likely to need pre season training of sorts and then getting used to our style of play. Fail to prepare prepare to fail

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here