Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] God's Country

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Originally from Tunbridge Wells from 0 to 23, spent a lot of that time travelling around Sussex, Mother, Father, Brother and Sister still live in Sussex, probably not a road town or village I have not seen.
Also been to every part of the UK in my lifetime.
If you know something is nice or good you generally keep quiet about it, people of Sussex seem to think they live in Eutopia.

I agree, both East and West Sussex are very pleasant, I enjoyed living there but neither county do most people think of as particularly special....

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Originally from Tunbridge Wells from 0 to 23, spent a lot of that time travelling around Sussex, Mother, Father, Brother and Sister still live in Sussex, probably not a road town or village I have not seen.
If you know something is nice or good you generally keep quiet about it, people of Sussex seem to think they live in Eutopia.

I think folk of Yorkshire amongst others could definitely claim the throne of thinking they live in Eutopia ahead of Sussex folk!

So many counties here have unique selling points: landscape, unique architecture, etc. Sussex is definitely up there with many others. There's something I really love about quaint Sussex villages as well as the landscape of our county.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Rudyard Kipling knew a thing or two.

http://www.kiplingsociety.co.uk/poems_sussex.htm

God gives all men all earth to love,
But since man’s heart is small,
Ordains for each one spot shall prove
Beloved over all.
Each to his choice, and I rejoice
The lot has fallen to me
In a fair ground—in a fair ground—
Yea, Sussex by the sea!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm exiled in crappy, depressing, soul destroying Portsmouth. I miss East Sussex. That is a beautiful photo of the most beautiful county.

The Souths Downs Way is a leisurely 15-20 minute drive from Portsmouth...................the section between Butser Hill (QE Park off the A3) and Cocking (through Harting) for example is just gorgeous.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Souths Downs Way is a leisurely 15-20 minute drive from Portsmouth...................the section between Butser Hill (QE Park off the A3) and Cocking (through Harting) for example is just gorgeous.

Yes, you only have to go over Portsdown Hill, and it is beautiful.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

If that were the case I'm sure I would have met Bob Geldof.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Oh I see you are from Kent. :rolleyes:
Us Sussex people are just proud of our county.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

You need to push that slightly further west and start at Old Winchester Hill.
That then takes you through the Meon's before Butser and all points through to Goodwood.

(yes it's a gorgeous bike ride)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You need to push that slightly further west and start at Old Winchester Hill.
That then takes you through the Meon's before Butser and all points through to Goodwood.

(yes it's a gorgeous bike ride)

Yeah - I've run the whole SDW from Winchester to Eastbourne........I was merely pointing out the shortest route out of the shithole to somewhere decent :smile:

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Since I returned from the Midlands I appreciate Sussex more than before. Up there the countryside was less hilly and farming is on an industrial scale . I found less bridal paths and fewer places to go.
Of course, areas like The Lakes District are more dramatic but could you live out there? In Sussex only have to go a short way out of town to see gorgeous scenery.
This is home.

Yes, it is beautiful but, really, is it necessary for the authorities to desecrate the landscape with a figure showing how to “social distance”. :wrong:

That's nothing to do with social distancing. That figure has been there for hundreds of years and clearly comes to life in the hours of darkness and skis through the rape fields.

I thought everybody realised that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here