Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] God's Country

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Without wishing to hijack this thread for us ex mob but totally agree, thoroughly enjoyed my time at SMOPS aka HMS Dryad in the beautiful Hampshire village of Southwick pronounced Sutherk iirc?

We (as in the Wrens at Mercury) went there for a dance. Of course, Soberton, and Petersfield were only just up the road. Stunning scenery, part of the South Downs which end on Salisbury Plain.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
As a Northern Monkey who discovered Sussex via Mrs Jakarta in 1992 just need to say that I never want to live anywhere else (although wouldn't mind a Flat on Lake Garda for the odd month away). We wake up and see the Downs every morning (and can walk up to them via Sullington Church).

Just magical and is making this stay at home thing bearable. Christ knows what living in a multistorey flat in Salford or Birmingham must be like - I'll bet the suicide rate will be rocketing...

boik

Since I returned from the Midlands I appreciate Sussex more than before. Up there the countryside was less hilly and farming is on an industrial scale . I found less bridal paths and fewer places to go.
Of course, areas like The Lakes District are more dramatic but could you live out there? In Sussex only have to go a short way out of town to see gorgeous scenery.
This is home.

I guess less bridal paths might be a problem if you're thinking of getting married?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Im always urprised about how much nicer east sussex is than wherever it is lycra boy has his hovel.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Without wishing to hijack this thread for us ex mob but totally agree, thoroughly enjoyed my time at SMOPS aka HMS Dryad in the beautiful Hampshire village of Southwick pronounced Sutherk iirc?

My parents were navy at the time I was born and lived in Southwick, ( 34 North Rd) not sure if these were Navy houses at the time but I’ve tried to look it up on google earth but cannot find It.
I was born in Emsworth and got christened at St Paul’s chapel HMS Dryad.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
My parents were navy at the time I was born and lived in Southwick, ( 34 North Rd) not sure if these were Navy houses at the time but I’ve tried to look it up on google earth but cannot find It.
I was born in Emsworth and got christened at St Paul’s chapel HMS Dryad.

There was a cracking brewery there when I was there in 1990.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The walk from around Cocking through to Houghton or Arundel; what a great way to spend a Sunday!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here