Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
Good old Sussex by the sea!
From the Argus:
Crunch time for Beasant
by Mike Donovan

Talks: Dave Beasant

Steve Coppell believes veteran goalkeeper Dave Beasant is pricing himself out of a new deal with Albion.

Beasant, 44, is still negotiating and insists he wants to stay.

But Albion boss Coppell, who returned to work yesterday following the death of his brother in a car accident, said: "Dave did well last year and is looking for a contract but I'm not sure we can match what he wants.

"Like all clubs outside the Premiership, we are having to look after our pennies and account for everything."

Michel Kuipers is Albion's only senior goalkeeper at present as Beasant is out of contract and Will Packham has signed for Farnborough.

Coppell said: "We've got to get a keeper. It's coming to a head with Dave. He'll sign for us or we'll be looking elsewhere. In an ideal world, I'd sign him. If it doesn't happen I'll look elsewhere but we are still talking."

Coppell cannot guarantee regular first team football for the former England international.

He said: "Dave wants first team football but he knows there is no guarantee. He knows he would have opposition here. I've got a determined Michel Kuipers who is going to do his utmost to make sure that whoever I bring in is going to be in the second team.

"Competition is healthy but I have to determine whether this club can afford to have two competitive goalkeepers."

Coppell may consider signing Ben Roberts, who played on loan for Albion last season. He has been released by Charlton.

He said: "I could go that route but can we afford it? Ben might not be first team keeper but he'd certainly be on first team wages."

Beasant's agent Tim Bailey said: "I know Brighton are going to be under pressure financially after relegation. I think Dave is still keen to stay at Brighton but obviously the terms of his contract are important."

I would be very happy to have Ben Roberts a 1st choice keeper. Whilst FDM is a great shot-stopper, Ben Roberts has a more complete game. His distribution is first class! IMHO he is the best keeper to have played for us for many years.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
SC must rate Kuipers if he is talking about Roberts as a backup keeper. Much as I like FDM I'm not convinced that he is a better all round keeper than Roberts. Nice selection problem if it happened. Presume Roberts would be on much higher wages than they are offering Big Dave. What do you think?

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Yeah, I reckon Roberts will be on quite a bit more than Big Dave. I really think we need to invest elsewhere though. If Beasant accepts the contract, that's fine (doesn't seem we are breaking the bank with him). If not, we need to get some young, cheap keeper in as back-up. If FDM is injured, we can get a loan keeper in. Would prefer us to be spending decent wages on a striker or midfielder - not a keeper who could be on the bench all year.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Of course, in a perfect world, we could afford to have 2 top-quality keepers fighting for the number 1 spot - but this ain't a perfect world!!

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
If we can get Ben Roberts, then we should off-load FDM. He is not even fit yet, and who can say his injury will not come back again? IF, we can only afford one good keeper, then I Would love it to be Roberts.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Mullers said:
If we can get Ben Roberts, then we should off-load FDM. He is not even fit yet, and who can say his injury will not come back again? IF, we can only afford one good keeper, then I Would love it to be Roberts.

Who said FDM isn't fit? His surgery was successful. He is just getting the psychological side sorted out. He has got to believe in himself again and not to worry about an injury he carried for the last two years.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Roberts would be class, but i think we need to strengthen up front more than the goalkeepers position. FDM suits me fine with maybe a youngster backing up. If things got a point where we needed a goalie through injury then a loanee would be the answer.

Just remembered FDM's save against Blackpool at Withdean. Banksesque! :)

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
Just saw on the official site that someone called Darryl Flahaven is on trial and will play at Arundel. Southampton born and released by Southend at the end of the season.

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
Grizz said:
Roberts would be class, but i think we need to strengthen up front more than the goalkeepers position. FDM suits me fine with maybe a youngster backing up. If things got a point where we needed a goalie through injury then a loanee would be the answer.

Just remembered FDM's save against Blackpool at Withdean. Banksesque! :)

And the goal he let in at Watford was Packhamesque!:lolol:
And Roberts gets the ball to our players - not the ball-boys.???

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Save of the season for me was FDM at Molineux or rather double save of the season

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
probably released him cos he's one of there highest earners.

the problem with roberts is that his wages will be very high. FDM is good enough in this league- ok, he has an odd lack pf concentration but u cant fault his shot stopping, bravery and commitmnet to the cause. i'd prefer we signed Flahavan and saved a bit of money on wages.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Mullers m8, you can say that about any goalkeeper, they're always going to have 'mares of matches. I agree the only thing about FDM is his wayward kicking which needs to improve big time, but he's a damn good lower division goalie. I'd be very happy with him between the sticks fighting fit this season

Grizz

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
Grizz said:
Mullers m8, you can say that about any goalkeeper, they're always going to have 'mares of matches. I agree the only thing about FDM is his wayward kicking which needs to improve big time, but he's a damn good lower division goalie. I'd be very happy with him between the sticks fighting fit this season

Grizz

Sorry, the post was "tongue in cheek". But given a choice, i would go for Ben Roberts, he was a great all-round keeper!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here