Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Goalkeepers wearing standard outfield shorts

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yep it doesn't seem to be that many years ago that every goalkeeper would wear the same colour shorts and socks as his outfield team mates.

I wonder why that stopped.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Apparently it was the mid-90s that it started changing and keepers wore they own kit separate to the outfield players

It seems a more recent change than that to me though.

This from the Man Utd website seems to back up the mid 90s thing (maybe it was a PL thing to start with that took longer to filter down the pyramid?)

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
When did this stop being a thing? (paging @Superphil)

I understand the FA changed the rules in this in the mid 1990s, where previously only the top half had to be different from the outfield players.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
In France at least, it seems to be a thing wear rather than having series of bespoke keeper’s kits, the keeper just wears one of the club’s away kits :shrug:

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
They have their own kit because after they've thrown a hissy fit and get moved on(to chelsea), they only have to sow on a new badge and not fork out for the whole kit

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
When did this stop being a thing? (paging @Superphil)

I have memories of Rust / Digweed / Omerod (I think) wearing the shorts - that’s just brought me some nice nostalgia of childhood 👍

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here