"GOAL" or "GOALS" ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Just watching the rerun of the England game last night, and am getting irritated by Andy Townsend constantly referring to "goals" - eg "Ashley Young has a shot at the goals"

I've noticed before Alan Hansen does this as well. So what is right? Are they being thick making it plural, or have I missd something?

I didn't watch the coverage so can't comment on your specific example, but unless Ashley Young has taken a shot and is not bothered about which end it goes in at (in which case he could be said to be aiming at both goals) then the commentators are thick planks (no great surprise there) and of course the player is aiming at the single goal.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Just watching the rerun of the England game last night, and am getting irritated by Andy Townsend constantly referring to "goals" - eg "Ashley Young has a shot at the goals"

You're looking to football pundits to guide you on the use of English language?!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The goal suggests one particular. The goals suggests getting several. It makes sense to me, can't see the problem with saying that. :shrug:

But it doesn't make sense at all. A player can only shoot at one goal, there's only one for him to aim at for a start! Saying "goals" is stupid.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
But it doesn't make sense at all. A player can only shoot at one goal, there's only one for him to aim at for a start! Saying "goals" is stupid.
I've always understood it to be a thick Northerner issue (e.g. "Wae'aye man that Ankergren is reet canny in goals"...). Hold on, that actually makes sense... :D

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Just watching the rerun of the England game last night, and am getting irritated by Andy Townsend

You could have just left it at that and most people would agree.

John Dorian

Glass Case of EMOTION
My housemate is from Stoke and always says it, it fucks me off royally. Just add an 'S' onto any singular word and you sound like a retard. This is the same application.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports