Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goal Line Technology

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
Is there anyone who thinks this ISN'T a good idea (and long overdue):

BBC Sport - Goal-line technology decision set for March 2012

Goal-line technology could be used in the Premier League as early as the start of the 2012-13 season.

The law-making International Football Association Board will rule in March 2012 on whether to approve the system.

If it gets the green light then Fifa boss Sepp Blatter says leagues can use it from the start of the 2012-13 season, if "accurate and affordable".

Premier League boss Richard Scudamore has said England's top flight will use it as soon as it is allowed.

Blatter added that goal-line technology could also be used at the 2014 World Cup.

The Fifa chief opposed goal-line technology for years and appeared to have ended the debate on its future in March 2010.

However, the Swiss re-opened it after Frank Lampard had a legitimate goal ruled out in England's 4-1 World Cup defeat by Germany later that year.

Blatter later apologised for the officials' error, saying it was unforgivable and that it had changed his mind on the matter.

Private trials of different systems of goal-line technology are taking place this year, with the international board to make its decision in March 2012.

GOAL-LINE CLOSE CALLS
•Pedro Mendes - Man Utd 0-0 Tottenham, 2006 Premier League
•Jonathan Howard - Chesterfield 3-3 Middlesbrough, 1997 FA Cup semi-final
•John Eustace - Watford 2-2 Reading, 2008 Championship
•Frank Lampard - England 1-4 Germany, 2010 World Cup
•Sir Geoff Hurst - England 4-2 West Germany, 1966 World Cup final

If the body approves a system, it will then be brought into law on 1 July 2012.

Blatter was speaking at a news conference in Brazil ahead of Saturday's qualifying draw for the 2014 World Cup, which will be held in Rio de Janeiro.

He also said that it was yet to be decided whether the recent experiment of using two additional referees behind the goal-line, which has been trialled in Europa League games, would be "installed as a general rule".

The experiment will be reviewed further in July 2010 after the European Championships in Poland and Ukraine

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I'm very much against goal line technology but get the feeling I'm now pissing in the wind

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Personally I think introducing technology to football such as this and video replays and so on could have repurcussions that those in favour of it aren't aware of, or are underplaying, and so I find it hard to fully get behind any of them. I want to see what the technology is, how it is implemented, how the game changes to accommodate it before I fully support any replay technology. (not that it getting my support matters one jot to anyone)

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
I'd hate to see it - let the game run as it is, the mistakes are all part of it... goal line tech is the start of :yawn: football

I think thats easy to say in a hypothetical situation, but if the Albion were to be denied promotion because an entirely valid goal wasnt given, I dont think people would be think "Well, we were robbed of promotion, but at least the game ran smoothly"...

I understand the concerns but personally feel getting the correct result is more important...

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Why are you against it ? (Genuinely interested, not having a dig !)

Because I believe that football should be played under the same general rules from the park to the world cup final. More importantly though once you start introducing technology where will it stop? All well and good saying it will only be goal line but 10 years ago that wasn't really an option, how long before offside decision are sent a video official or similar. Football is not a stop and start game where you can just stop something to review it, unless the ball is out of play the game will continue and something else may happen.

But as I said now firmly believe that I'm in the minority and money and big voices have taken over what should remain a simple game and it will change (not for the better)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think thats easy to say in a hypothetical situation, but if the Albion were to be denied promotion because an entirely valid goal wasnt given, I dont think people would be think "Well, we were robbed of promotion, but at least the game ran smoothly"...

I understand the concerns but personally feel getting the correct result is more important...

I think that's a bit of a cop out. To blame your achievement over the course of a season on one decision in one moment in one game (of 46). But then, I think it's a cop out to blame the result of a game on one decision (and I've argued this even when we are on the wrong end of the decision).

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
On the arguement of what will it lead to? I'm not too worried, if it takes this long to get something as simple as goal-line technology passed, by the time they come to debating technology for off-sides etc (which i dont think anyone wants), we will all be long dead and thats for our Grandchildren and their kids to debate.

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
Because I believe that football should be played under the same general rules from the park to the world cup final. More importantly though once you start introducing technology where will it stop? All well and good saying it will only be goal line but 10 years ago that wasn't really an option, how long before offside decision are sent a video official or similar. Football is not a stop and start game where you can just stop something to review it, unless the ball is out of play the game will continue and something else may happen.

)

Its not changing the rules though, is it ? Its just an attempt to ensure correct decisions are made - just like 4 lino's in the Uefa cup (which I am pretty sure won't filter down to the Sunday leagues).

I'm with you on not using technology for any other decisions, but think that if a "goal" is scored then every attempt should be made to confirm its validity or otherwise.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

But as I said now firmly believe that I'm in the minority and money and big voices have taken over what should remain a simple game and it will change (not for the better)

Rules remain the same though, if the whole ball crosses the goal-line it's a goal. All the technology does is make the decision-making better at the top level of football.

Park football never does have the same accuracy of decisions as the top flight, and you don't hear a big fuss about "the home team having one of their subs running a line" in some Sunday match. It happens, and we deal with it. But the RULES remain the same.

For me, technology rules. It just makes the game look stupid when it constantly refuses to accept technology. And let's behonest, at teh very top TV Replays have been sneaking in by stealth anyway for years. Watch the footage, absolutely none of the officials saw Zidane's headbutt until the TV companies picked up on it.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
How's it going to work if the ball doesn't go out of play and so the game doesn't stop????

For instance, the Frank Lampard 'goal' the ball was still in play when it bounced out of the goal and back on to the pitch. If the ref doesn't signal that its a goal how do the players get the decision reviewed. if they put the ball out of play then possession changes its just a throw in, a corner or a goal kick. There is no appeal to the official (like there is in cricket) and the game doesn't easily stop (like it does in rugby or Amercian football) for a decision unless the referee deems it necessary

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
How's it going to work if the ball doesn't go out of play and so the game doesn't stop????

For instance, the Frank Lampard 'goal' the ball was still in play when it bounced out of the goal and back on to the pitch. If the ref doesn't signal that its a goal how do the players get the decision reviewed. if they put the ball out of play then possession changes its just a throw in, a corner or a goal kick. There is no appeal to the official (like there is in cricket) and the game doesn't easily stop (like it does in rugby or Amercian football) for a decision unless the referee deems it necessary

There would be no appeal, the goal would be given end of, if the players wanted to appeal after the goal was given it would be just as it is now, the ref wouldn't be interested, and if they tried to appeal that it was a goal, when its not, then the technology would prove them wrong.

I'm not sure how it will be done, whether its just an audible signal in the refs ear, or an audible signal for all to hear, or maybe the goal posts will start flashing (god, please no) but once that signal is given its a goal, end of, and until it's given its not, again end of.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Football is not a stop and start game where you can just stop something to review it, unless the ball is out of play the game will continue and something else may happen.

Actually I think the game has become very stop and start since referee's have been shown no respect and are constantly badgered for every decision they make. Take a penalty for instance, can take anything up to five minutes from awarding to the consequent kick off/goal kick. With technology that could be whittled down to about 2 mins tops. I think most of us England supporters desperately wanted it for the ridiculous disallowed Frank Lampard goal at the World Cup? And technology in the form of human beings is already happening at top level games that don't filter down to grass roots in the shap of extra officials on the bylines and 4th refs that you don't see below a certain level of the pyramid. So the 'them and us' is already part of the game. And Sky tend to be able to resolve the issue on tv far quicker than certain matters are resolved in the pitch. I'm all for technology to speed up the game and get the decisions spot on. My opinion like.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
For me it is simple. Instant goal line technology, yes. Video replays (as some suggest), no.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
There would be no appeal, the goal would be given end of, if the players wanted to appeal after the goal was given it would be just as it is now, the ref wouldn't be interested, and if they tried to appeal that it was a goal, when its not, then the technology would prove them wrong.

I'm not sure how it will be done, whether its just an audible signal in the refs ear, or an audible signal for all to hear, or maybe the goal posts will start flashing (god, please no) but once that signal is given its a goal, end of, and until it's given its not, again end of.

Same as cricket - the captain could signal he wanted a review to the ref and he'd stop play.

IndependentWSU

May 24, 2011
GOAL-LINE CLOSE CALLS
•Pedro Mendes - Man Utd 0-0 Tottenham, 2006 Premier League

Closer to the back of the net than the line. Was sitting in the Stretford End (opposite goal) and even I could see it was clearly over.
Those 2 points cost Tottenham Champions League Football, for the first time

The sooner goal lone technology is introduced the better.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Same as cricket - the captain could signal he wanted a review to the ref and he'd stop play.

That would never work, and is not what goal-line technology is about.

That would suggest stopping the game and the ref and both captains going over to the touchline to look at some moniter to debate whether all of the ball had crossed the line and in many cases would be in-conclusive.
Goal line technology (as i understand it) is about having a device in the ball and a device in the goalposts which proves beyond any shadow of doubt whether all of the ball has crossed all of the line.

This technology has already been designed and tested, fifa, so far, are just refusing to accept it.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
I'm always very against technology in football, but I suppose I would have to hear how it works exactly before passing a final judgement. Can't imagine I'd approve though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here