Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goal averages. When were they replaced with goal difference?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Remember when teams on the same points were separated by goal average? I believe it was goals for divided by goals against?

When was this replaced by goal difference?

I believe the reason was to encourage teams to score more goals.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Goal average was replaced in the English Football League for the start of the 1976-77 season.

I always assumed the change was made to simplify the calculations. No more dividing. No more decimals.

And for the 1996/7 season it was changes to goals scored.

Luckily it was, as Albion would have been relegated at Hereford under goal difference!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
And for the 1996/7 season it was changes to goals scored.

Luckily it was, as Albion would have been relegated at Hereford under goal difference!

Thats ball bags, it was still goal difference wasn't it, just that our goal differences were identical and therefore goals scored came into play and we had more. So same as now? or am I talking nonsense?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
More interesting was when they switched to thre points for a win rather than two, for one reason look at Div 2 Final table 1978-79..

If it had been three points for a win, Palace, wouldn't have even been promoted let alone finish as champions. Sunderland would have been above them on GD I think..

Venables produced a Palace team that were draw bores; it hurts me to say that, but the stats prove it.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Most people remember the change from two points for a win to three points for a win, but fewer can remember the change from goal average to goal difference.

Had almost forgotten it myself until it came up in conversation last week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here