Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Go on Jason Steele !!!!

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
But he didn't did he ? His insistence on rolling the ball under his foot and enticing the City players onto him caused panic within our back four and the crowd. It lead to the third goal. I agree you cannot blame him for starting with Lallana - which is like starting with only 10 on the pitch.
Tactically it was gash - not on Steele

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
No it is not. That is your opinion. I wasn’t defending him because he is an apparently nice guy and accusing people who disagree with you and who cite his qualities, as being ‘wilfully ignorant’ is absurd. Perhaps give specific example of where you think he didn’t give as much as he could have done and how Bart would have handled it instead and how he could have saved all those goals last night with the defenders we had and the refs we had rather than of trotting out an anti-Steele trope. With possibly the exception of the 4th goal, Steele does not deserved to be blamed for our loss but even with the 4th, he would have smothered the ball if Walker hadn’t barged into him and obstructed his effort .

The ‘goal-keeping‘ stuff in De Zerbi’s system of play requires the GK to be one of the footballing defenders, playing out from the back - a gk who can be the pivot between the CB’s and FB’s - when you are playing against a very high pressing team like Citeh, who will exploit that risky aspect of our game, you need a GK who has excellent communication with his CBs and the calmness and experience to play short-accurate passing football in front of his own goal. Excuse the pun, but Steele does that with nerves of steel.

Good job RDZ has faith in him because after all, it is the manger’s qualified opinion that counts.😉
Thank you for your usual patronising response, I really appreciated it.

Firstly, it’s not about his effort, it’s about his quality, or lack thereof. You claim he couldn’t have prevented any of the 4 goals last night, whereas I’d argue all 4 of them were at least partially his fault.

A good Prem keeper saves De Bruyne’s header, as lovely as it was to watch. If he’d stood still, he saves the deflected free kick which was going wide. It’s his pass (despite his apparently ball playing ability) that put a kid in Baleba under pressure in our 18 yard box, when that kid had his back to play and City players swarming around him, despite Steele being able to see the play (this is your representation of nerves of Steele apparently). And it’s his lack of decisiveness for the fourth.

So I disagree, and whilst RDZs opinion is markedly more important than mine or yours, it doesn’t negate the issues we continue to have when Steele is in goal, nor does it negate the frustration many of our fans have every time he’s named on the team sheet.

Don’t get me wrong, we need to have some serious questions asked about our squad building this summer if we aren’t to face a relegation battle next year, and I’m not suggesting others, including the manager (again) weren’t to share the blame for the issues last night, but none of this stops the reality that we’re much worse when Steele plays.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Last night was the first time in WEEKS that we tried to play the De Zerbi style, small passing triangles to try and break the press, splitting the defence with short passes to midfield etc etc.

For all Verbruggen's strengths, Steele is better at that system. You can argue about his shot stopping all you like (FWIW, I didn't think he could do anything about any of the goals), but Steele does play De Zerbi's style better that Bart.
Yer as others have said it's not Steele's fault hes rubbish. It's RDZ fault for playing him and making him do short triangles in the box against the best team in the world.

RDZs arrogance is breathtaking sometimes. It's all about him, and I'm sure pep gave him a lovely pat on the back after the game and told him he is a genius.

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011

Firstly, it’s not about his effort, it’s about his quality, or lack thereof. You claim he couldn’t have prevented any of the 4 goals last night, whereas I’d argue all 4 of them were at least partially his fault.

A good Prem keeper saves De Bruyne’s header, as lovely as it was to watch. If he’d stood still, he saves the deflected free kick which was going wide. It’s his pass (despite his apparently ball playing ability) that put a kid in Baleba under pressure in our 18 yard box, when that kid had his back to play and City players swarming around him, despite Steele being able to see the play (this is your representation of nerves of Steele apparently). And it’s his lack of decisiveness for the fourth.

So I disagree, and whilst RDZs opinion is markedly more important than mine or yours, it doesn’t negate the issues we continue to have when Steele is in goal, nor does it negate the frustration many of our fans have every time he’s named on the team sheet.

Don’t get me wrong, we need to have some serious questions asked about our squad building this summer if we aren’t to face a relegation battle next year, and I’m not suggesting others, including the manager (again) weren’t to share the blame for the issues last night, but none of this stops the reality that we’re much worse when Steele plays.
There was nothing wrong with Steele's pass to Baleba. The issue was Barco's first touch.

As I've mentioned above in another post, if Barco plays the simple pass to Gross we are splitting City wide open and Steele's pass was the catalyst.

1714131096463.png

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No it is not. That is your opinion. I wasn’t defending him because he is an apparently nice guy and accusing people who disagree with you and who cite his qualities, as being ‘wilfully ignorant’ is absurd. Perhaps give specific example of where you think he didn’t give as much as he could have done and how Bart would have handled it instead and how he could have saved all those goals last night with the defenders we had and the refs we had rather than of trotting out an anti-Steele trope. With possibly the exception of the 4th goal, Steele does not deserved to be blamed for our loss but even with the 4th, he would have smothered the ball if Walker hadn’t barged into him and obstructed his effort .

The ‘goal-keeping‘ stuff in De Zerbi’s system of play requires the GK to be one of the footballing defenders, playing out from the back - a gk who can be the pivot between the CB’s and FB’s - when you are playing against a very high pressing team like Citeh, who will exploit that risky aspect of our game, you need a GK who has excellent communication with his CBs and the calmness and experience to play short-accurate passing football in front of his own goal. Excuse the pun, but Steele does that with nerves of steel.

Good job RDZ has faith in him because after all, it is the manger’s qualified opinion that counts.😉
Yep. Steel looked like an EPL keeper to me last night :shrug:

But there has to be a reason for our failure to get into the top six. An empirical measurable reason. And a reason that we can pin on someone by way of blame.

RDZ is stubborn and has been tooting himself at other clubs. Our players are shit. Tony Bloom is only interested in property development.

These are some of the reasons proposed. Perhaps those who have allowed sand to get into their crevices could be seconded onto the Post Office Inquiry, where blame attachment has presently been unforthcoming.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There was nothing wrong with Steele's pass to Baleba. The issue was Barco's first touch.

As I've mentioned above in another post, if Barco plays the simple pass to Gross we are splitting City wide open and Steele's pass was the catalyst.

View attachment 181332

Are you trying to talk sense and facts in the face of a wind of righteous opinion? Good luck!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Too late! I've marked you down as wrong.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
You called me and others like me ‘wilfully ignorant’ and said we are defending Steele because he is a ‘nice guy’ 😳

There are footballing qualities people see in Steele to which some folk seem completely oblivious - I see his weaknesses but also his strengths. You are expressing an opinion just like me.

Citeh were pressing very high and all over us - yes, he could have ignored De Zerbi’s instructions and played hoofball into the space in the CMF (Bart probably would have done) but Citeh also had defenders sitting back and would have simply have come back with a counter-attack - once Citeh get possession, especially when they are already a goal up, it is very hard to win that back as the 35% possession stats for us testify - Steele did exactly the right thing by playing short passes to penetrate the press - as I said, it was not his fault that he had a 19 year old debut player on his inside LB trying to cope with the top team in the world’s forwards all over his young a+rse or we were missing Gilmour.

Steele handled himself like a pro last night - he was focussed and methodical and I see no reason to question RDZ’s decision to use Steele based on last night’s performance - nor do I looked at lineups before a game and assume we are going to lose because Steele is named in the lineup.

If people want to beat up Steele, that’s their choice - I just don’t agree with many of the reasons for doing so and not in the vitriolic, scapegoating way that some seem to do it, that’s all - that’s not patronising you or anyone else, it is simply stating a POV. 👍

Last edited:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Yer as others have said it's not Steele's fault hes rubbish. It's RDZ fault for playing him and making him do short triangles in the box against the best team in the world.

RDZs arrogance is breathtaking sometimes. It's all about him, and I'm sure pep gave him a lovely pat on the back after the game and told him he is a genius.
Excellent work missing the point there. Steele isn't rubbish, Steele's passing was very good, Steele played well last night. The fault was with others.

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023

It’s not your fault you’re a tit. You could have been banged in to a sock lying by the bed but here you are.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Trying to ping the ball around in our own 6 yard box is not good for anyone’s health, goalkeepers, new full backs and fans alike.
I don’t think it’s either an enjoyable watch or very productive. I just wish he had a plan B for when his selection options are limited.

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
From a shot stopping point of view only, Steele is giving me the faintest whiff of Matt Ryan, in that he never seems to pull off a worldy.
We likely still would have lost by 4 with Bart in goal yesterday tbf.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde

Yes and no.

Steele's pass was absolutely right, but Baleba should've turned into the space instead of giving it to Barco. This would've taken out 5 City players and led to us being on the attack. I see Baleba make this sort of mistake multiple times a game. You'll often see RDZ jumping around in frustration when he does, it's what he means when he says he's not ready.

In your scenario, Gross would've quickly been closed down by Gvardial and had no where to go causing him to go back to Dunk.

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
Yes and no.

Steele's pass was absolutely right, but Baleba should've turned into the space instead of giving it to Barco. This would've taken out 5 City players and led to us being on the attack. I see Baleba make this sort of mistake multiple times a game. You'll often see RDZ jumping around in frustration when he does, it's what he means when he says he's not ready.

In your scenario, Gross would've quickly been closed down by Gvardial and had no where to go causing him to go back to Dunk.
Not true, they showed a lot more than that clip on the Sky analysis after the game - Gross had a reasonably straightforward pass to split them open.

Baleba didn't make a mistake.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Since the start of this year the Albion have played 19 matches. Verbruggen has played in goal in 11 and Steele 8.

Here are their respective records across those 19 matches -

Verbruggen (11 matches played including Arsenal ,Liverpool & Roma)

Albion wins - 6
Albion Draws - 3
Albion Defeats - 2
Albion Goals Scored - 23
Albion Goals Conceded - 12
Albion Clean sheets - 4

Steele (8 matches played including Man City ,Spurs & Roma)

Albion Wins - 0
Albion Draws - 2
Albion Defeats - 6
Albion Goals Scored - 1
Albion Goals Conceded - 18
Albion Clean Sheets - 2

In other threads it has been pointed out to me that Steele's strength is that he plays a great short & long pass enabling the Albion to breakthrough and attack the opposition (this has resulted in 1 goal in 8 games).

You are the manager - taking into account these facts/stats who do you play in goal ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here