Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GMail

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Who's been lucky enough to get hold of a GMail account? GMail is currently in beta and not yet open to the public. By setting up an account early, you have a much better chance of getting a unique username and with 1GB of storage I reckon this will be the next Hotmail.

75 invitations are for sale on Ebay, top price £10 :jester:

Easy money if you have a GMail account!

6b_1.JPG

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Got mine a month or so ago, but no invites.

It's not so exciting now MS have expanded Hotmail.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
You mean since MS pretended to extend Hotmail and never did?

Its got a much nicer interface than Hotmail, and I've *never* got a "Server Too Busy" error, which happens 1 out of 3 or 4 times on Hotmail.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I got in by pestering someone I knew who'd got some off Blogger.com

Basically, people who knew Google staff, used Blogger.com, or were involved in big opensource projects like Mozilla Firefox got invited. Then they got given invites.

And the people they invited got given invites, and so on, but there hasn't been a round of invites issued since early July.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
I just bought one for a couple of quid on Ebay but you can also go here:

http://www.gmailswap.com

"Everyone's talking about Gmail, but it's still only a handful of lucky ducks who have snagged an account. And while the rest of us go hungry, you can be sure that the best email addresses are being gulped down by nefarious hooligans. "

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
No one knows.

Here's the latest GMail invitations for sale on Ebay: GMail on Ebay

Almost Skint had one going free but that was snapped up earlier today.

Very under-rated is Always Skint. If there's one free invitation available there might be others...

Always Skint

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Downloaded Penguin said:
I just bought one for a couple of quid on Ebay but you can also go here:

http://www.gmailswap.com

"Everyone's talking about Gmail, but it's still only a handful of lucky ducks who have snagged an account. And while the rest of us go hungry, you can be sure that the best email addresses are being gulped down by nefarious hooligans. "

Only problem with GMail Swap is that no-ones being given any to swap...

Penguin, if you'd just *use* the Orkut account you got from my invite you'd have been offered a GMail account by Google anyway....

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Oh, and be surprised, be very surprised if the invite you bought is legit, as the GMail contract states that any invites for which cash or other goods/services were transferred to be obtained will be cancelled.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
MYOB said:
Only problem with GMail Swap is that no-ones being given any to swap...

Penguin, if you'd just *use* the Orkut account you got from my invite you'd have been offered a GMail account by Google anyway....

I lost all the details to the Orkut account when my hard drive died but that's a good point. I must try to log back on.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
all I can remember of your Orkut account is that its got "Simon" as the display name. Doubt that helps finding out the loginname much though :)

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
I keep getting this message

"Bad, bad server. No donut for you

Unfortunately, the orkut.com has acted out in an unexpected way. Hopefully, it will return to its helpful self if you try again in a few minutes.

It's likely that the server will behave this way on occasion during the coming months. We apologize for the inconvenience and for our server's lack of consideration for others. "

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Downloaded Penguin said:
I keep getting this message

"Bad, bad server. No donut for you

Unfortunately, the orkut.com has acted out in an unexpected way. Hopefully, it will return to its helpful self if you try again in a few minutes.

It's likely that the server will behave this way on occasion during the coming months. We apologize for the inconvenience and for our server's lack of consideration for others. "

Well, Google are having some serious issues with the fact that Orkut is run on Windows, and all their other gear is run on Linux (www.orkut.com is a Linux-based load balancer, the backends are Windows running IIS 6.0)

They don't know quite how to deal with the terrible instabilities of IIS

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Okay I'm in to Orkut now. Cheers.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
MYOB said:
You mean since MS pretended to extend Hotmail and never did?

Its got a much nicer interface than Hotmail, and I've *never* got a "Server Too Busy" error, which happens 1 out of 3 or 4 times on Hotmail.

Er... my Hotmail account has 250Mb space, I rarely have problems with it, and people who know me, know the address.

Like I say, Gmail has become less attractive.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Wozza said:
Er... my Hotmail account has 250Mb space, I rarely have problems with it, and people who know me, know the address.

Yeah, but I'd used up 58% of my available space the other day just because I hadn't checked the account for three weeks. With the amount of spam that Hotmail gets 250MB is nothing.

No spam in my Gmail account as yet...but give it time.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Wozza said:

Mine has 2MB still. And the servers MSN direct me to from Ireland seem to be designed to carry enough load to serve half of the Faroe Islands - on 1Mbit DSL they're still slow as mud.

Although all I use it for it me MSN Messanger adress anyway, so it doesn't matter how much space I've got.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here