Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Glückwunsch Leverkusen!

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Phenomenal achievement. What a team and what a job Alonso has done. Fantastic for football generally

Reactions: FCB

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Phenomenal achievement. What a team and what a job Alonso has done. Fantastic for football generally
I read his list of honours as a player, he pretty much won everything twice at club and international level except for the world cup. That's some going.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
til-that-leverkusen-and-brighton-have-a-long-standing-v0-cxlys0gmvkoc1.png

pigmanovich

Mar 16, 2024
London
Completely agree.

If they go on to win the German Cup and the UEFA cup do you think it eclipses what Leicester did by winning the league?
Of the comparison, interesting that both teams won their leagues after flirting with relegation the previous season, Leicester spending 19 weeks in 20th place and Leverkusen sitting as low as 18th prior to Alonso's appointment.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It's "Pomp and Circumstance", not "Land of Hope & Glory", one assumes. Since the later would be profoundly weird.
I thought it was "We all follow the Albion..." :shrug:

FCB

Sep 1, 2023
Completely agree.

If they go on to win the German Cup and the UEFA cup do you think it eclipses what Leicester did by winning the league?

Don't want to take anything away from Leicester but yes. Any treble would eclipse "just" winning the league.

While PL is obviously more competitive than BL they just break Bayern's title hegemony and won the league not by "luck" but in a very dominant fashion.

Still some way to go and it will probably be harder to keep the focus now (they also play Dortmund, Stuttgart and Frankfurt in their next three league games so not an easy schedule) but it's possible for them to stay unbeaten for a whole season not just in BL but in all competitions which would be a unique achievement. At least I don't think this ever happened before.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Don't want to take anything away from Leicester but yes. Any treble would eclipse "just" winning the league.

While PL is obviously more competitive than BL they just break Bayern's title hegemony and won the league not by "luck" but in a very dominant fashion.

Still some way to go and it will probably be harder to keep the focus now (they also play Dortmund, Stuttgart and Frankfurt in their next three league games so not an easy schedule) but it's possible for them to stay unbeaten for a whole season not just in BL but in all competitions which would be a unique achievement. At least I don't think this ever happened before.
With Man City on the verge of winning their 6th title in 7 seasons I’m not convinced the EPL is much more competitive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here