Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Global Warming not eroding ice shocker

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
So washing out My baked bean cans and recycling them is not going to make a difference then :shrug:

Oh dear,what a waste of water and think of the greenhouse gas you will emit after eating baked beans.
We're doomed!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bold Seagull,all kinds of catastrophe may happen to the planet.......nuclear war for example,but what particular catastrophe do you think may occur that is directly caused my manmade global warming?(if it exists in any significant amount?)
Secondly,I am certainly not advocating doing nothing over the next 500 years;that would be crass.I am merely stating that we will not carry on as we are as a human race over the next 500 years and that technology together with man's genius/ingenuity will find answers to all kinds of problems, just as it has done even in our brief lifetimes.I just don't happen to believe that , metaphorically speaking , turning all the lights off and going to live in caves is the answer.

Why are you asking me the question? You stated as a fact a man made climate change catastrophe wouldn't happen. It was not my point to disprove this, just simply point out that you criticise people for holding things as facts, then hold one yourself.

Metaphorically speaking, who is saying to turn all the lights off and live in caves? You're just jumping from one extreme position to another.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Why are you asking me the question? You stated as a fact a man made climate change catastrophe wouldn't happen. It was not my point to disprove this, just simply point out that you criticise people for holding things as facts, then hold one yourself.

Metaphorically speaking, who is saying to turn all the lights off and live in caves? You're just jumping from one extreme position to another.

Oh for Pete's sake Bold,I asked you the question because I was interested to hear what you believe.
I am not jumping from one extreme position to another,I don't know what gave you that idea;I am merely taking a counter view to many of the warmists who take an unrealistic view of the world and what keeps it turning.
Goodbye.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
So washing out My baked bean cans and recycling them is not going to make a difference then :shrug:

What that will do is to help prolong our planets sources of metals by reducing the amount we have to mine to replace what we have used which must be a very good thing if we are going to consider the long term view of things rather than the current attitude of making things disposable.

I think we should be looking to reuse and recycle as much as we can for this very reason (and not because, as some claim, if we don't recycle, then the planet will overheat and all life will die or whatever their next extreme claim will be)

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
what...??? honestly,if you are not prepared to accept the fact that the planetary climate is currently being adversely affected by human input/output/ action then i really think you should chugg off back to your armchair and not bother posting on this thread any more.....we are a disease ...fact....deal with it..!

if you honestly think we can carry on as we are for another 4 or 5 hundred years you are seriously deluded .....imho....!!

We can't carry on as we are now simply because there isn't the reserves of oil and gas to be able to. They will be long gone well before 100 years have passed and nowhere near the 4 to 500 years you think that we will carry on if attitudes don't change

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

We can't carry on as we are now simply because there isn't the reserves of oil and gas to be able to. They will be long gone well before 100 years have passed and nowhere near the 4 to 500 years you think that we will carry on if attitudes don't change

I must admit It was a bit of a joke but I do recycle what I can. Gotta do your bit.

Oops ! I don't know why it added the attachment ?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Oh for Pete's sake Bold,I asked you the question because I was interested to hear what you believe.
I am not jumping from one extreme position to another,I don't know what gave you that idea;I am merely taking a counter view to many of the warmists who take an unrealistic view of the world and what keeps it turning.
Goodbye.

If you are interested, I believe we're only at the start of beginning to understand our impact on the planet. I remain completely open minded as the science evolves, however overwhelmingly, the picture is that we are contributing to climate change. The consequences of this are much harder to predict. In reality we have trouble predicting the weather 5 days in advance, so it's understandable predicting long term climate impact is far from accurate or exact - this however doesn't disprove our impact.

Most of our actions toward curbing CO2 emissions are inherently sensible whether climate change is manmade or not. Rising fuel costs on their own make the case for more efficient homes, buildings and vehicles almost a necessity. Renewable energy is still in its infancy, but it has to be a desire to capture all this energy that is naturally occurring rather than burning fossil fuels. I can't believe people wouldn't share a vision of a future where the majority of energy is generated from clean sources.

It's not an unrealistic view of the world to believe that unless we change, there could be environmental catastrophes. These could be as simple as a shortage of fresh water, previously arable land becoming barren. In such a balanced eco-system with a growing population, it would be irresponsible not to consider alternatives.

The problem is the polarisation of the argument. As soon as governments get involved and 'taxation' starts, it becomes a political argument. This thread is filled with people believing it's all a con for business and taxes. This is just media propaganda. We've known about climate change since the 1970's. It's made no one any money until recently when finally governments have started to act. As soon as governments tell people what they should be doing, people get upset. This doesn't invalidate the science or the data.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Bold,I am pleased to hear you are open minded about the subject of climate change and man's, or should I say,living beings contribution towards it.
Indeed , it is proving difficult to predict the weather for the next 5 days let alone the next heaven knows how many years.
I am all for discovering new means of energy and as I have said before,have great faith in technology together with mankind's ingenuity in solving all manner of problems that may beset the human race long after we are gone.
My beef is with the zealots who call those that do not go along with their views 'Deniers' and who spread alarm and make wildly exaggerated claims about the effect climate change will have.I remain highly sceptical about the contribution man makes to climate change and believe it to be an overwhelmingly natural phenomenon.Following on from that view,I am equally dubious about claims that we could do anything to materially change the climate.If the climate is changing and I believe it always will,we should adapt and learn to benefit where we can rather than preach Armageddon and allow Governments to waste money needlessly on futile measures.
Got to go now,my tea is ready and being on a post Christmas diet,I am starving!!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
If you are interested, I believe we're only at the start of beginning to understand our impact on the planet. I remain completely open minded as the science evolves, however overwhelmingly, the picture is that we are contributing to climate change. The consequences of this are much harder to predict. In reality we have trouble predicting the weather 5 days in advance, so it's understandable predicting long term climate impact is far from accurate or exact - this however doesn't disprove our impact.

Most of our actions toward curbing CO2 emissions are inherently sensible whether climate change is manmade or not. Rising fuel costs on their own make the case for more efficient homes, buildings and vehicles almost a necessity. Renewable energy is still in its infancy, but it has to be a desire to capture all this energy that is naturally occurring rather than burning fossil fuels. I can't believe people wouldn't share a vision of a future where the majority of energy is generated from clean sources.

It's not an unrealistic view of the world to believe that unless we change, there could be environmental catastrophes. These could be as simple as a shortage of fresh water, previously arable land becoming barren. In such a balanced eco-system with a growing population, it would be irresponsible not to consider alternatives.

The problem is the polarisation of the argument. As soon as governments get involved and 'taxation' starts, it becomes a political argument. This thread is filled with people believing it's all a con for business and taxes. This is just media propaganda. We've known about climate change since the 1970's. It's made no te the science or the data.

An excellent post, I agree with it in it's entirety.

The vast majority of the things that we can do to combat climate change also improve the health of our planet in general as well as saving us a bit of cash. It is only since the governments have got involved and tried to use economics to solve the problem that it has become about money.

The big questions for me are

If we change our habits and it turns out to me nonsense what are the consequences?

and

If we do nothing and it turns out to be a reality then what are the consequences?

No body knows for sure, but the consequences are too much of a gamble for me (especially when you bare in mind Bold's second paragraph and the scientific consensus that the science is sound).

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

i'm not just on about fossil fuel usage but also massive scale de-forestation and emptying the sea of a very large portion of its fauna.......if it is proven that oil ,gas and coal run out inside 100 years then that can only be a good thing for the planet but with new deposits being found all over the world i don't see it.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Surely the record temperatures in Australia and South America together with the record low temperatures in North America + the extreme weather suffered all around the planet recently is evidence of what the scientists have been saying?

The measurement of ice caps year to year is a really inaccurate way of measuring climate as it does not reflect the long term trend of the warming - there are so many other things to take into account like the acidity of the sea, the 300 months or whatever above global average temperature...

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Surely the record temperatures in Australia and South America together with the record low temperatures in North America + the extreme weather suffered all around the planet recently is evidence of what the scientists have been saying?

The measurement of ice caps year to year is a really inaccurate way of measuring climate as it does not reflect the long term trend of the warming - there are so many other things to take into account like the acidity of the sea, the 300 months or whatever above global average temperature...

Plenty of evidence supporting this, in relation to the change in weather. This from a couple of months ago.
Sun expected to 'flip upside down' as magnetic field reverses its polarity
According to NASA the sun is about to flip upside down and it could happen any day now.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...-as-magnetic-field-reverses-its-polarity.html

Every 11 years, the sun undergoes a complete makeover when the polarity of its magnetic field - its magnetic north and south - flips. The effects of this large-scale event ripple throughout the solar system.

Although the exact internal mechanism that drives the shift is not entirely understood, researchers at Stanford's Wilcox Solar Observatory have monitored the sun's magnetic field on a daily basis since 1975 and can identify the process as it occurs on the sun's surface. This will be the fourth shift the observatory has monitored.

New polarity builds up throughout the 11-year solar cycle as sunspots - areas of intense magnetic activity - appear as dark blotches near the equator of the sun's surface. Over the course of a month, a sunspot spreads out, and gradually that magnetic field migrates from the equator to one of the sun's poles.

As the polarity moves toward the pole, it erodes the existing, opposite polarity, said Todd Hoeksema, a solar physicist at Stanford since 1978 and director of the Wilcox Solar Observatory. The magnetic field gradually reduces toward zero, and then rebounds with the opposite polarity.

"It's kind of like a tide coming in or going out," Hoeksema said. "Each little wave brings a little more water in, and eventually you get to the full reversal."
http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Suns_Magnetic_Field_Poised_to_Reverse_Its_Polarity_999.html

While the polarity shift can stir up some stormy weather, it also provides extra shielding from dangerous cosmic rays. These high-energy particles, which are accelerated by events like supernova explosions, zip through the universe at nearly the speed of light. They can harm satellites and astronauts in space, and the wrinkled current sheet better protects the planet from these particles. - See more at: http://www.space.com/22271-sun-magnetic-field-flip.html#sthash.oP4L6JfQ.dpuf

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here