Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn wants to be spot on

pyi

Jul 24, 2007
Murray wants to be put on spot
9:30am Monday 28th March 2011

Print Email Share Comments(1) By Andy Naylor »

Glenn Murray wants to put himself back on the spot again after Gary Dicker added to Albion’s penalty nightmares.

Dicker scored one and missed one in Saturday’s 2-1 home win over Swindon, which Murray clinched with his 19th goal of the season.

The Seagulls have now failed from the spot an incredible seven times in 12 attempts this season with five different takers.

Murray lost the job at Huddersfield in December but wants it back after earning the penalty Dicker scuffed and had saved in the second half by Swindon keeper David Lucas.

Asked if he would be prepared to step forward again, Murray told The Argus: “Yes, especially when I win them. It was a team decision that Gary would take them but I might throw my hat back in there at some stage.”

Manager Gus Poyet admitted: “We need to address that for next year, because it has been to a point embarrassing.

“It looked like he (Dicker) probably touched it twice before the goalkeeper saved it. Someone said to me when you get two penalties you need to change the penalty taker. We don’t have one penalty taker and they want me to have two!”

Chris Wood, back from international duty with New Zealand, is likely to return to the role at Dagenham and Redbridge tomorrow night after scoring his last penalty, although Poyet will leave it to the players again to decide.

Murray is now one goal short of his career-best target of 20 in a season. He said: “I’ll be disappointed if I don’t get there with nine games left but it still takes some doing.

“When you start taking something for granted is when it doesn’t happen, you have got to keep working hard. It depends who you are talking to but for me personally 20 goals is always the target.”

Elliott Bennett will be restored to the side at Dagenham after he was rested to the bench on Saturday, which ended a run of 79 successive league starts since he signed for the club. Poyet said: “Benno has been outstanding for us and we ask him to do too much sometimes, to play in the middle, wide, right-back. He’s had a few knocks in the last few games and he was not feeling 100%.

“I think it was the right game to give him a rest, especially with Nooney (Craig Noone) being so positive, but it’s 99% certain he will be back in the team on Tuesday.”

Your Say YourArgusAlan G Skinner, Corralejo, Fuerteventura says...
9:55am Mon 28 Mar 11

Any news on Muzza signing a new deal?
Any news on Muzza signing a new deal?
Report this post »    Register/Sign In »
Your sayYour Argus Add your comment

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The Seagulls have now failed from the spot an incredible seven times in 12 attempts this season with five different takers.

Murray taken 2 had 2 saved
Barnes taken 4 had 1 saved
Wood taken 3 had 1 Saved
Bennett taken 2 had 2 saved
Dicker taken 2 had 1 saved

13 taken, 7 saved

If someone wants to argue that one of Murray's was a cup game, so was one of bennett's, which would be only 5 saved in 11 in the league.

If you add in the penalty shoot out, then we've taken 17 penalties and scored 9, missed 1 and had 7 saved.

Last edited:

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Barnes is our penalty taker, He wasn't on the pitch so therefore it was down to Dicker.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Thank God we are unlikely to be in the lottery of the play offs, you really wouldn't want our season to be decided on a penalty given how shite we are at taking them.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Holy sh!t can u imagine us in a penalty shoot out in the play off final :wozza:

Admittedly, we've only had one, had brezovan in goal, and were facing non league opposition, but Penalty shoot outs aren't the problem for us. It's the in game penalties that we seem to struggle with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here