Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glenn reluctant to leave the pitch in his final Forest match

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
My palace supporting mate spoke to me yesterday and said the club are looking at doing something for him as soon as they can.

He is still a Palace Legend to their fans.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Isn’t it 10 years service that automatically qualifies. I think there are exceptional circumstances, such as Bruno, but that was still more of a friendly.

They use the 10 year mark because. Testimonial income after 10 years service made the income " Non Taxable" but as someone mentioned. Most give the profits to charities now.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
It’s probably the only thing Palace and Brighton fans agree 100% on.

1, Absolute legend at goal scoring for both clubs.
2, pushed out of both clubs well before he should have been.
3, showed nothing but class when he scored against either of us.
4, when he played for either club he gave 100%

I am sure the BHA “fans” that rejoiced when he done his knee in the play off semi regretted straight after the game.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s as much for us as it is for him because we want to give him a big send off ...whether it’s a testimonial or not ..I hope we get the chance to show our appreciation

With Peter Ward, my favourite all time Albion players.

Gutted when Wardy went to Forest, the same when Muzza was squeezed out. I met him at the Easter 2011 Fans Day at Withdean Stadium as he signed autographs (the queue for Muzza was about 10x longer than for the rest) and I summoned up the courage to say please stay with us.

Kind of rectified later with his brilliant second spell with us.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I know it's old ground, but losing him after winning the League 1 title is one of the biggest disappointments of the last 20 years at our club I'd say. If we had kept him, considering who we added for that season, I have no doubt we would have won automatic promotion either that first season or certainly in the second season. Our progress stalled a little bit because we lost him and our current team is in a similar position today to how that team was - largely brilliant up to the final third where we need more cutting edge.

Murray coming back in won us automatic promotion. He was the missing piece and he was a massive upgrade on Baldock and Hemed, no offence to either of them but he's just in a different class. We need to find a new Murray, as we have since he first left us. Ulloa did the job but everyone else has largely failed to do so.

It's funny to think that his stock was fairly low when he was ruled out of the relegation run in during our League 1 season in 08/09. He'd started the season so well under Micky Adams but his injury problems were a big issue for us. He wasn't a big player under Russell Slade, which is a huge shame for the bald genius, but when Gus came in he was the key man pretty much straight away and started knocking in the goals for fun. It's very safe to say that Glenn Murray is one of my favourite Brighton players of all time.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Shouldnt he get a testimonial game with Brighton? I mean he played a gigantic part in the success in the last decade and you guys never had a chance to say goodbye.

Either way, seems he really loves the game so I hope he continues in League One or something.

I wouldn't say that Glenn is in love with the game exactly, but in love with "playing" the game. There is a difference! After all as he readily admitted, training was never really his forte, and even after winning promotion to the Premier League against Wigan, he didn't stay around to enjoy the celebrations, but went home for a cup of tea.

But you are right, he very much deserves a testimonial, or some kind of send off at a packed Amex, so his many fans can say thank you. He has served this club so proudly over two seperate spells.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It’s probably the only thing Palace and Brighton fans agree 100% on.

1, Absolute legend at goal scoring for both clubs.
2, pushed out of both clubs well before he should have been.
3, showed nothing but class when he scored against either of us.
4, when he played for either club he gave 100%

I am sure the BHA “fans” that rejoiced when he done his knee in the play off semi regretted straight after the game.

I wouldn't be so sure. I seem to remember at least one poster on here who said they wouldn't celebrate when Glenn scored on his second spell here and was totally against him coming back. Way to hold a grudge against one of your club's best players :tosser:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Wasn’t Glenn on loan so technically now back with us until the end of the season - so, why not give him a game - especially with Maupay suspended

Nope.

1. Signed with them permanently
2. Not registered in the squad
3. Loan players must return during the transfer windows to be able to play for the owner club

So... lots of no.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Nope.

1. Signed with them permanently
2. Not registered in the squad
3. Loan players must return during the transfer windows to be able to play for the owner club

So... lots of no.

May l add a few more?

no no no no no no no no no.

Glenn signed a one season contract with Nottingham Forest, and is no longer an Albion player.

Besides which, even if he was eligible to play, l'd rather remember him as he was, at the top of his game, not about to go into retirement.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
They use the 10 year mark because. Testimonial income after 10 years service made the income " Non Taxable" but as someone mentioned. Most give the profits to charities now.

Thanks [MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
May l add a few more?

no no no no no no no no no.

Glenn signed a one season contract with Nottingham Forest, and is no longer an Albion player.

Besides which, even if he was eligible to play, l'd rather remember him as he was, at the top of his game, not about to go into retirement.

Hopefully he will be at the Man City game in some official capacity to get a decent send off from the fans :albion2:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
A bit of a sad end to a colourful playing career. Can see a good media career ahead for him...

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Felt sad watching that. Love Glenn. Class act. Is the main reason we're in the PL now. We would not have made it with just Tomer and Baldock up front. Comparing Murray to Maupay's petulance and complete inability this season to strike a ball cleanly or with any conviction makes me sadder.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here