Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Murray

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Totally this. 15 minutes to go, stick him on the penalty spot and get crosses in, at 37/38 he'll still head the ball better than any other forward player at the club.

Of course potterball doesnt allow, we have to get in good wide areas before passing it backwards, then back again then back to Sanchez to launch it up field.

I'm still shocked Potter got shot of Stephens he was a master of the sideways, backward hypnotise the opposition form of passing. :cheers:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Glenn Murrayoffside you say? ???

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
90MIN article on a Muzza return.

https://www.90min.com/posts/could-shock-glenn-murray-return-fire-brighton-premier-league-safety

Going so well until this:

It is Potter's disliking of Murray which makes the prospect of a fairy tale return unlikely. One of the most ridiculous tactical decisions taken by Potter in his reign so far - and there is plenty of competition for that accolade - came away at Bournemouth last January, when he threw on Solly March and Leandro Trossard as out-and-out wingers to deliver crosses for Aaron Connolly whilst Murray remained an unused substitute. The fact that Potter would rather rely on the aerial ability of 5'6 striker than the target man skillset of Murray was telling.

???

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Maybe he could teach Burn and Ali on how to head a ball

Add Connolly to that list after his shocking miss against Sheffield United recently. Come to think of it, go back to basics and teach the entire squad what a football actually is, and what they are supposed to do with it. i.e. score a bloody goal.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'd get him back for the rest of the season just for the lift he'll give the club.

Agree he's probably past it, but he could still grab us the odd vital goal. Last night, if he'd been on the pitch I would always have been thinking we 'd have a chance.

Great player and this season especially has made it clear how hard he has been to replace.

Agreed, as good as Glenn has been for the club over both of his spells with us, his time is definately up in the Premier League, and he should have been successfully replaced a cvvouple of years back.

Makes you wonder how Dan Ashworth and the Recruitment Team earn their money.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Agreed, as good as Glenn has been for the club over both of his spells with us, his time is definately up in the Premier League, and he should have been successfully replaced a cvvouple of years back.

Makes you wonder how Dan Ashworth and the Recruitment Team earn their money.

The last season we had with Glenn as starting striker was meant to be a season with Glenn as occasional back up. That tells you how long our consistent striker crisis has been going on. I'm not sure if he's getting minutes with Watford at all of late so not even match fit for the Championship. Always a legend, but not an option today except coaching staff.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Are you trying to tell me that Murray wouldn't be a big threat attacking set pieces? Even the rubbish ones we pump toward the box (having passed short first)? Or that he wouldn't be capable of taking one of the many chances missed by his replacements?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Are you trying to tell me that Murray wouldn't be a big threat attacking set pieces? Even the rubbish ones we pump toward the box (having passed short first)? Or that he wouldn't be capable of taking one of the many chances missed by his replacements?

It has to be a worry that he has barely played for almost a year, given his age. Gonna be awfully hard to get the rust out at 37.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003

He'd be gasping for air so much we'd be forgiven for thinking he had long covid. He's a 37 year old who hasn't played 45 minutes of competitive football since lord knows how long.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
There's still hope for the old geezer.

He'd be gasping for air so much we'd be forgiven for thinking he had long covid. He's a 37 year old who hasn't played 45 minutes of competitive football since lord knows how long.

[tweet]1348673277775015940[/tweet]

JonnyCLately

Jan 16, 2018
Shoreham by sea
Currently training alone at Watford, thanks for your service Glenn....

He's under contract with Watford. We have just borrowed £37M against future revenue to offset losses from the past 12 months. I think you are mistaken in your tone. It isn't our fault the loan didn't work out. Nor is it our responsibility to take the cost of his salary on. He won't get more game time here - he will just be another pay check to cover which right now isn't what we need. Take a look at the bigger picture and understand where we are. TB has funded us above and beyond in the past decade or so. His finances are battered too. The gravy train has run dry...

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
He's under contract with Watford. We have just borrowed £37M against future revenue to offset losses from the past 12 months. I think you are mistaken in your tone. It isn't our fault the loan didn't work out. Nor is it our responsibility to take the cost of his salary on. He won't get more game time here - he will just be another pay check to cover which right now isn't what we need. Take a look at the bigger picture and understand where we are. TB has funded us above and beyond in the past decade or so. His finances are battered too. The gravy train has run dry...

Harsh but fair.
As previously mentioned, Muzza is calving himself out a career in planet pundit on R5L, so he's not sitting on his hands.
Lots of players keep themselves fit if not playing, that's just fact.
I hope he does get to play more footy, he deserves that at least.

Could do a job at Wycombe, he likes scoring at Adams Park.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Quite. I can't believe anyone would moan about the way we treat our ex players here, we do everything to look after them and find them a job within the club if we can, treating them with the respect they deserve. I can't believe many clubs have as many ex players on the payroll as we do and have done over the years. We have to look after ourselves though as he rightly did 10 years ago when he left us on a free to join our biggest rivals.

And it's not our call to have him training here, it's up to Watford. If he was performing well enough then Watford would obviously have him playing which clearly, and unsurprisingly I'm afraid, he isn't. He should have hung his boots up in the summer and concentrated on his media career.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If true, why haven’t we brought him back? Shoddy way to let him be treated imo

Because he is Watfords player not ours. Coupled with them paying Murrays wages.... recalling him would cost us an extra £1M or so in wages ... for what ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here