• No

Votes: 51 32.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Not a single person has said he would score 20 goals in the Championship. Not a single one. He does however, have a LOT to his all round game, that would suit our passing style.

Not in this thread, no, but there have only been about 10 replies. Are you telling me that nobody thinks he will score 20 goals for us? Loads of people seem to think is the answer to our striker problem, well our striker problem is getting someone to score 20 goals.

I reckon he'd get 10 in our current side. I think he'd do OK, and if we couldn't get anyone else then I'd be happy with him. But there are a lot of other strikers I'd rather.

Dec 29, 2011
In the last two games we've had two point blank headers CMS and Barnes have missed. Murray would have scored both of them.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not in this thread, no, but there have only been about 10 replies. Are you telling me that nobody thinks he will score 20 goals for us? Loads of people seem to think is the answer to our striker problem, well our striker problem is getting someone to score 20 goals.

I reckon he'd get 10 in our current side. I think he'd do OK, and if we couldn't get anyone else then I'd be happy with him. But there are a lot of other strikers I'd rather.

I think he could get 10-14, but would also contribute a massive amount to CMS/Barnes etc. Murray was a big reason for Barnes scoring 20+ in League One, watch them back, the amount of goals he hands him on a plate is impressive. It's a very basic one dimensional way to view Murray only on how many goals HE would score alone.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Murray did extremely well in our system throughout Gus' tenure...not only our last season. Only proper striker to have done excellently in our system I'd love him back

Nail. On. Head.

He knows how we play, so no "bedding in" period reqired and had a great partnership with Barnes.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Yes. It would a) shut a lot of people up and b) a lot of people would look stupid when it turns out he isn't the 20 goal a season Championship goal machine that they seem to have convinced themselves he is, despite him manging a mighty 6 goals last season.

"He's the perfect foil for CMS", they say. Well that may or may not be true, but what evidence is there to suggest that Gus would play the two of them together?

It's a valid point. I suspect he would work well with CMS but he could also throw a strop when his work isn't rewarded with a goal. That's if, as you state, they were actually paired together. FWIW, and I am not a huge fan of taking stats at face value, his career assists record is perhaps less impressive than you might assume:

Glenn Murray Bio, Stats, News - Football / Soccer - - ESPNFC

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I think he could get 10-14, but would also contribute a massive amount to CMS/Barnes etc. Murray was a big reason for Barnes scoring 20+ in League One, watch them back, the amount of goals he hands him on a plate is impressive. It's a very basic one dimensional way to view Murray only on how many goals HE would score alone.
Bloody hell. I'm shocked. I actually agree with something you have said :lol:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Bloody hell. I'm shocked. I actually agree with something you have said :lol:

In which case I totally change my mind.

Are you one of the people who's been saying "Gus'll be gone by *Insert nearest significant date*" for the last 3 years? I find those people funny.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
No.

We've moved on . He's gone backwards.

No, he hasn't. He may not have played many games last season but was very useful in some of the games he did play. Played a blinder at Old Trafford. He would massively improve our squad and would fit it with our style of play. If CMS is to be a success here, then Murray would be the man to bring out the best in him.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

I'm not only viewing him on goals alone. But the striker we need is a goalscorer. We need someone to score 20 goals, which we don't have at the moment. Murray would be OK, but he is not the striker to lead us to promotion. If we were to sign Murray, I still think we would need to sign another striker as well. I realise that completely contradicts the post I made about 2 hours ago, but I don't care.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm not only viewing him on goals alone. But the striker we need is a goalscorer. We need someone to score 20 goals, which we don't have at the moment. Murray would be OK, but he is not the striker to lead us to promotion. If we were to sign Murray, I still think we would need to sign another striker as well. I realise that completely contradicts the post I made about 2 hours ago, but I don't care.

Possibly.

I don't think we HAVE to have a 20+ goalscorer to go up. Been proved plenty of times that 2/3 players all scoring 15-odd will do it. With Murray, we would comfortably have the players to do that.

All ifs and buts though.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
No, he hasn't. He may not have played many games last season

38 seems a reasonable number to me. Only 5 less than Ashley Barnes, and 21 more than Vicente.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Possibly.

I don't think we HAVE to have a 20+ goalscorer to go up. Been proved plenty of times that 2/3 players all scoring 15-odd will do it. With Murray, we would comfortably have the players to do that.

All ifs and buts though.

Perhaps not. But I cant honestly see Murray scoring 15, CMS scoring 15 and Barnes scoring 15, can you? That would be one hell of a season if they did.

I just cant see Gus playing Murray and CMS together, can you? Not regularly, or for any length of time, anyway.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Mostly used as a sub. They don't know how to use him. Gus does

Peterborough fans would probably say the same about CMS.

Does anybody honestly think that Glenn Murray is anything more than a reasonable Championship striker? And if not, then why are we worrying ourselves about him? I'll say it again, if he hadn't played for us before, and we were being linked with him now, people on here would be up in arms. Let's not forget that Billy Paynter scored nearly 30 goals in a season in League 1 (yes I know it's not all about scoring goals).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here