Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glen Murray..........what are you taking?

larus

I think the main cause of our improved performances is Izquierdo. He's bloody brilliant. Added to that I think is the performances of Schelotto. He can attack with pace and also get back quicker than Bruno, which in turn means that Knocky can attack without having to worry about getting back as much.

Murray is also in great form, but I think a lot of that is due to the improved service he's getting.

This is it. 100% - since Izquierdo has got up to speed with the Premier League and Schelotto has shlotted in at RB, we are much more threatening going forward. The effect of this is Murray is not having to chase scraps and work on being a hold-up target man anymore. I know Gross is still the main provider to GM, but he's getting more space due to the real threat on the wings.

It's no coincidence that we've now scored 10 in our last 4 games too.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Think Izquierdo fully bedding in and showing his quality consistently is really opening things up and helping Muzza and Gross.

Those 3 together are good enough take apart most of the bottom half of the division.

This is why as well as I don't think Murray's performance levels have changed, I don't think Hughton's tactics have changed either – the players are just playing better. Tactics are still the same for me, we are just carrying more threat going forwards.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I was thinking about this, has he upped his game? Or has our full back - winger combinations and Gross just started threatening sides a lot more and providing far more clear cut chances?

My feeling is he hasn't upped his game at all, that he has been playing well, giving 100% all season, just that we are now threatening and creating a lot more, I think this was backed up by the stats showing chances created in 2018 compared to 2017. I don't know, I've seen a few people suggest it's since Leo and Locadia turned up, I think its more since Izqueirdo and Knockeart joined the party to be honest.

Looks like he is running and chasing the ball a lot more and making more of a general effort to me.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Looks like he is running and chasing the ball a lot more and making more of a general effort to me.

Seriously out of puff towards the end. There was one time when he was clear in on goal with only one defender to beat. Could have made the run and got hacked down and got hacked down by the last man for a straight red. That should have been the clear signal for CH to replace him with Locadia or Ulloa, both of whom would have provided fresh legs and who would both have been desperate to score. Bringing on either would have kept Arsenal on the back foot with subs to spare.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It's reminiscent of the 2015/16 season. We struggled for goals in the first half of the season then signed Knockaeart and Skalak in January and suddenly Hemed, thanks to the vastly improved service he was getting, started scoring as did the rest of the team.

Gross has been more or less great all season but Knockaeart seems to be getting to grips with the division as does Izquierdo with his role in the team. Defenders can't now double up on one player so all three are able to cut loose(or as loose as Hughton allows), creating more chances for Murray. And one thing among several that he can do very well is take chances. To horrifically misquote Field of Dreams: If you create it, Murray will take it.

Whether the signings of Ulloa and Locadia have given him a kick up the bum as well, only he knows. What it is though, is ****ing ace, that we can have a premier league winning striker and our club record signing sat on the bench. It's even better that they can both sit on the bench all game against Arsenal and it doesn't matter because the man in possession of the shirt is playing so well.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think it's mainly down to someone else. As Glenn himself said in a Sky interview after the game yesterday. When he was aked what he put his goalscoring feats down to, he replied . . . Pascal Gross.

I have to admit, that was a wonderful cross from Gross that led to his goal yesterday..

Yeah I agree, but our threat on the wide areas has given Gross so much more space recently, he's played well throughout, but now Izqueirdo and Knocky are properly giving full backs a hard time, Gross is finding himself in even more great positions, in turn putting it on a 6 pence for Glenn.

Like I said, don't think it has anything to do with our signings, think Glenn was working as hard as every, but he definitely has a spring in his step with our renewed quality in the final third.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's reminiscent of the 2015/16 season. We struggled for goals in the first half of the season then signed Knockaeart and Skalak in January and suddenly Hemed, thanks to the vastly improved service he was getting, started scoring as did the rest of the team.

Gross has been more or less great all season but Knockaeart seems to be getting to grips with the division as does Izquierdo with his role in the team. Defenders can't now double up on one player so all three are able to cut loose(or as loose as Hughton allows), creating more chances for Murray. And one thing among several that he can do very well is take chances. To horrifically misquote Field of Dreams: If you create it, Murray will take it.

Whether the signings of Ulloa and Locadia have given him a kick up the bum as well, only he knows. What it is though, is ****ing ace, that we can have a premier league winning striker and our club record signing sat on the bench. It's even better that they can both sit on the bench all game against Arsenal and it doesn't matter because the man in possession of the shirt is playing so well.

Great post.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This is why as well as I don't think Murray's performance levels have changed, I don't think Hughton's tactics have changed either – the players are just playing better. Tactics are still the same for me, we are just carrying more threat going forwards.
Agreed, except it's not just the players playing better, it's different players playing. Schelotto and Izzy start every game now and they're key to our change in form. Bong also works with them, so we attack as a team more than we were able to.

I agree that he chases the ball more, but not because he was lazy before, but because he has others doing it with him. You can't press on your own, you have to do it as a team, and Knocky isn't having to cover for Bruno any more.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

That's roughly how I see it, also adding the fact that Schelotto is fast enough to get back without Knocky having to worry so much.

Competition for places is great, it should help with training and can give the team that little bit extra. But right now I don't think we're seeing just a little bit extra, we're a lot better than we were at the start of the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here