Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glen Campbell

I believe in being respectful when people pass on and I expect he was a lovely fella with many friends and family going to miss him dearly. Because of this, it is with a heavy heart that I have to inform you his music was utter crap. Worse dirge imaginable.

Your have a perfect right to your spectacularly bad opinion

Glad I saw him at the Palladium only a few years back. A real legend

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905

One of the most sublime songs ever written combining a romantic yearning whilst undertaking monotonous solitary employment. Quite brilliant.

"And I need you more than want you, and I want you for all time."

"Most of today’s critical trends are breaking Campbell’s way. The notion that what’s in the middle of the road can be inviting and necessary, rather than inherently inferior to what’s edgy and on the edges, is increasingly accepted as common sense. Crossover country acts are nearly as likely to inspire serious critical discussion as eye rolling. More and more, it is understood that you can’t tell the story of American popular music without Glen Campbell"

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cu...-good-ol-boy-american-pop?mbid=social_twitter

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm no way a C&W fan (even though my dog died earlier this year), but there's a very good documentary on GC on the iPlayer on the left wing BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pwxs8

BBC4's music documentaries are brilliant. I've enjoyed their subjects over the years, such as John Denver, music I would normally have turned off. A far cry from my likes, but always a great insight and it broadened my listening tastes.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I believe in being respectful when people pass on and I expect he was a lovely fella with many friends and family going to miss him dearly. Because of this, it is with a heavy heart that I have to inform you his music was utter crap. Worse dirge imaginable.

Dirge? Witchita Linesman, Rhinestone Cowboy? Nah a dirge is Mull of Kintyre or Let it Be or even Hey Jude

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Dirge? Witchita Linesman, Rhinestone Cowboy? Nah a dirge is Mull of Kintyre or Let it Be or even Hey Jude

Easy to see the pattern - not a fan of McCartney?
There are many dirges in the annals of popular music. Probably the only thing more boring than listening to them is listing or discussing them..................

(N.B. Not all the songs listed above are dirges).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There are many dirges in the annals of popular music. Probably the only thing more boring than listening to them is listing or discussing them..................

(N.B. Not all the songs listed above are dirges).

All the McCartney ones are...

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I never worked out what a 'Rhinestone Cowboy' was. But I wanted to be one anyway.

The "Rhinestone Cowboy" is a fairly dangerous sexual act. Just prior to anal sex (preferably a with a man), the 'cowboy' will attach rhinestones to his dick (with some sort of skin-safe adhesive). Some of the rhinestones may dislodge during coitus, this is perfectly normal and will give the recipient the moniker "Rhinestone Cowgirl".

Urban dictionary.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here