Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Glazers out !

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
They didn't pay a penny themselves - they borrowed against the club to buy it. A club that had no debt they then lumbered the the club with millions of debt for their own means.
I don't think that's quite right, they did have to front some money as part of the leveraged buy out. But it wouldn't have been much more than £100-£200m based on the purchase price. They've made that back by now easily, and will now get several billion when they sell.

Leverage is such a wonderful thing isn't it.

Labour leverage - employ other people to work on your behalf (make your time go further)
Capital leverage - use money / markets to make your money go further
Tech leverage - use technology to make your time/money go further (this has to be the best one! Build something once and keep selling it forever)
Etc

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Have to give it to the Glazers, buying Man U has been an amazing investment for them. £700m was it they paid?
They paid nowt of their own money. It was all loans leveraged against the value of the club. The net spend thing is gross mismanagement. Venture vulture capitalists. I’d protest them if it was my club. Old Trafford is falling down. The Glazers are not good. *happy to keep beating them though

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Glazer’s takeover of the club was an abomination.

But yes since then, they’ve obviously spent huge amounts of money. Not always very wisely, but I suppose football transfers are hit and miss. They’ve made what appear on their face, decent managerial appointments and signed players who should be quite good.

I loved seeing ETH interview after the Arsenal game. “We deserved the points, it was all the ref … blah blah blah”. Because that’s what we want, denial. We want big team arrogance, we want them to think they only need to turn up to sweep us aside.

Because make no mistake, we owe them. If Veltman wanted to kill Newcastle, what do they want to do to Man U? The Macca late pen game is nowhere near enough. We owe them much much more than that.
I know what you mean, but the way I would put it is they owe us.

From Whiteside to the Solskjær theft
Everywhere they go
Cheating ****s without no shame
United must go down
The shitters must go down

And in the meantime, happy for us to own them (on the pitch).

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
I don't think that's quite right, they did have to front some money as part of the leveraged buy out. But it wouldn't have been much more than £100-£200m based on the purchase price. They've made that back by now easily, and will now get several billion when they sell.

Leverage is such a wonderful thing isn't it.

Labour leverage - employ other people to work on your behalf (make your time go further)
Capital leverage - use money / markets to make your money go further
Tech leverage - use technology to make your time/money go further (this has to be the best one! Build something once and keep selling it forever)
Etc
And what's Dame Edna Leverage?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
IMG-20230907-WA0001.jpg

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
They didn't pay a penny themselves - they borrowed against the club to buy it. A club that had no debt they then lumbered the the club with millions of debt for their own means.
There were other backers of the deal, including JP Morgan.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I’m mainly here to sneer at their fans rather than defend the Glazers but isn’t that pretty similar to how we buy houses ? If Man U is going to list on the stock exchange then it will be traded like any other similar company. Their fans have plenty of other options to support a club more representative of their area eg FC Utd, Guildford City, Salford City etc etc
Yes, but our houses aren't trying to compete in the premier league and European football trying to win trophies.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Yes, but our houses aren't trying to compete in the premier league and European football trying to win trophies.
I think at some point you have to realise that life isn’t fair and unless you are born into wealth you either die poor or you find a way to make money.

It is shit but it isn’t going to change in our lifetime

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Glazer’s bought through a leveraged buyout, not uncommon in football eg Hicks and Gillette at Liverpool. Similarly they loaded interest on the club and took fees too.

The difference is that Manure have still outspent the football world on fees under their ownership.

Whinging Gary Neville blames the Glazer’s after every defeat, his ££££ obsession with transfer spending. But they’re the champions of spending.

They’ve failed due to bad manager choices, recruiting the wrong players on repeat and sticking with homegrown donkeys such as McTominay. Paying obscene money to players undeserving of that, then finding themselves stuck with those players for years.

Per CIES Football Observatory.
IMG_0538.png
IMG_0541.png

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
They spent about 150 million on Onana - shit, Antony - Shit and marteniz who is meh among others, but the board don't spend

They spend on crap and cat off load so they are stuck with them - See Maguire/Sancho so can't spend even more

Problem is the fans are pissed off everyone has money now and they don't have the pick of whoever they want

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
He's such a small man. Literally and figuratively.

What is it with Man Utd and picking up absolute wrong'uns?
They are so entitled it is ridiculous- even slabhead when he said he didn’t need to prove himself - bullshit you have to proper yourself every single game

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
From a moral standpoint you may be right. From a footballing one I'd love him to play. Absolutely showpony, complete waste of football boots.
Edited for you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here