[Music] Glastonbury Festival 2023 - the thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
"The crowd present are all ages, with the youngest singing even louder for one simple reason: Elton’s music is timeless and travels. Banger after banger comes, with never a lull.

Look at that setlist – it can’t be improved. As previously promised, the ending segment of the show saw “all hell break loose”. ‘Crocodile Rock’, massive. ‘Saturday Night’s Alright for Fighting’, feral. ‘I’m Still Standing’, the summit. ‘Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me’, dedicated to George Michael on what would have been his 60th birthday. We were spoiled tonight. Flares light the sky, friends hold one another and an epic firework finale sees us into a monumental closer of ‘Rocket Man’. His one stage move (rising from the piano, arms outstretched, and smiling) is all he needs. The songs and his heart do the rest. Everyone here is on his side. Go on Reg.

“I’m so happy to be here,” he says, profoundly touched. “I’m never gonna forget this.”

None of us will. Sir Elton left everything on the field. It was a Glasto set for the ages from a true all-time great. We’ll never see his kind again. So long, Rocketman – and thank you."

https://www.nme.com/reviews/live/elton-john-glastonbury-2023-review-setlist-photos-3461062

5* reviews from NME and The Guardian amongst others.

It was simply magnificent.
Beautifully put by NME. Still reeling from how perfect that was. What an incredible performance. Going to go back and rewatch it again. One of the great all time concerts, Glasto or otherwise.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
In addition to the 5* reviews above from NME and The Guardian:

Rolling Stone: “Elton John Delivers Perfect Farewell at Glastonbury: “If the set was truly the singer's last U.K. show, then he's gone out on the most almighty of highs”

The Independent (5*) - “The glitziest, most high-energy retirement party the world has ever seen”

i News (5*) - “A thrilling goodbye to a legend”

The Telegraph (5*) - “The greatest retirement party in pop history”

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Now that it's all died down, could someone precis why the trolls were hunting for Billy Nomates? I'm guessing it was something pathetic like the fact that she got a bit sweaty or didn't have a band.

Such as shame as she was one of my major highlights.
Basically this from mainly 6Music dad types, very odd

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I saw Elvis Costello & The Attractions, followed by Paul Weller in '94. I'm not sure a Saturday night could get much better. Wellers band then were superb.

U2 are too far up their own arse for Glastonbury.

KInks would be incredible, don't think it will ever happen.
If you like the Kinks, the fan club have a Kinks convention every year at the Boston Arms in London.

The Kast of Kinks play all the Kinks stuff and the year I went Ray Davies was loitering about in the wings, eventually coming on to do a couple of numbers with the band. Apparently he does this every year thou, probably to fluff his ego.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I was going to say AC/DC although unlikely they would reform they haven't ruled it out

Pink Floyd could be pursuaded to do a one off glasto gig and call it the last ever
Pink Floyd have thrown Waters under the bridge though...

boik

Basically this from mainly 6Music dad types, very odd
That's really disappointing as I guess by definition I fit into that category.

Some people are such shallow ****s. Mind you, there's been a fair few on here slagging off people for how they look. c.f. Chrssie Hynde, Debbie Harry, Elton. I guess they must all have supermodel looks themselves!

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Hynde looks like she's been around the block once or twice.
Me and Mrs Peteinblack both remarked that she looked better than she's ever done.

Plus she was clearly enjoying herself.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nope. Much more simple than that. It's because she's a woman.
...and does not present herself in a way they expect women to present themselves.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
We watched some of on TV last night - thought The Pretenders, Sparks (still going strong in their 70s), and the Manics were superb.

Whereas most headliners at festivals naturally do a greatest hits set, the Manics bucked the trend by actually playing a couple of lesser-played tracks off The Holy Bible - just a pity that the cameras virtually ignored bassist Nicky Wire.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
We watched some of on TV last night - thought The Pretenders, Sparks (still going strong in their 70s), and the Manics were superb.
I’m genuinely curious to know what people are looking for when describing a band as superb. Is that after making allowances? I’m not having a pop cos it’s all down to opinions but let’s take Sparks as an example.

I bought Kimono My House, etc back in the 70s and loved it and knew all the words. Listening to Sparks at Glasto on TV was great in terms of bringing back happy memories, singing along, etc, etc but I thought they actually sounded terrible.

Similarly I really enjoyed EJ but it wasn’t his best night in terms of vocals. But what a star!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports