Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Glastonbury Festival 2023 - the thread

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Elton put on a good show for his age but that was about it. A nostalgic moment, particularly for those there, but the War on Drugs and QOTSA were far better tonight and would have been my choices if I'd gone this year. Tumbleweed Connection is however a superb EJ album (I don't believe he played anything from it tonight).

Last edited:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
definitely. This was his Queen at Live Aid. An absolute masterclass.
A self serving show from an act that had very recently shown their complete disdain for the people of Africa having banked the large cheque for breaking the cultural boycott of Apartheid era South Africa?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
A self serving show from an act that had very recently shown their complete disdain for the people of Africa having banked the large cheque for breaking the cultural boycott of Apartheid era South Africa?
Erm, I meant the status in pop cultural legend of the performance itself, I don’t know much about the politics of that stuff. I just meant how people rave about that performance, is how people will look back on Elton John’s tonight.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I just knew he'd be brilliant, and he was. What a performer. That was absolutely epic.

This time last year I was raving about the Pet Shop Boys as they closed out Glasto, they were truly magnificent. I didn't think that could be topped, but EJ might just have inched it. I might have to get me a spangled Dodgers shirt in time for the next home game.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
"The crowd present are all ages, with the youngest singing even louder for one simple reason: Elton’s music is timeless and travels. Banger after banger comes, with never a lull.

Look at that setlist – it can’t be improved. As previously promised, the ending segment of the show saw “all hell break loose”. ‘Crocodile Rock’, massive. ‘Saturday Night’s Alright for Fighting’, feral. ‘I’m Still Standing’, the summit. ‘Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me’, dedicated to George Michael on what would have been his 60th birthday. We were spoiled tonight. Flares light the sky, friends hold one another and an epic firework finale sees us into a monumental closer of ‘Rocket Man’. His one stage move (rising from the piano, arms outstretched, and smiling) is all he needs. The songs and his heart do the rest. Everyone here is on his side. Go on Reg.

“I’m so happy to be here,” he says, profoundly touched. “I’m never gonna forget this.”

None of us will. Sir Elton left everything on the field. It was a Glasto set for the ages from a true all-time great. We’ll never see his kind again. So long, Rocketman – and thank you."

https://www.nme.com/reviews/live/elton-john-glastonbury-2023-review-setlist-photos-3461062

5* reviews from NME and The Guardian amongst others.

It was simply magnificent.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Elton’s performance was one for the ages. I was coping well with missing out until I saw that. Utter brilliance from beginning to end. I thought he’d be great but Reg exceeded my very high expectation. Even from the comfort of my friend’s sofa I had that Glastonbury moment feeling.
Missed the first third as was out, will catchup today..from what I saw you are bang on, amazing performance from a 76 year old....so many great songs, I hope Bernie Taupin was there to see his work performed so well to such a huge and audience?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I saw Elvis Costello & The Attractions, followed by Paul Weller in '94. I'm not sure a Saturday night could get much better. Wellers band then were superb.

U2 are too far up their own arse for Glastonbury.

KInks would be incredible, don't think it will ever happen.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I saw Elvis Costello & The Attractions, followed by Paul Weller in '94. I'm not sure a Saturday night could get much better. Wellers band then were superb.

I saw the Kinks in 1989 and they weren't great then. I'd shudder to think how they'd be now.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020

I was going to say AC/DC although unlikely they would reform they haven't ruled it out

Pink Floyd could be pursuaded to do a one off glasto gig and call it the last ever

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here