[Music] Glastonbury Festival 2023 - the thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Grateful that the Beeb have put up the Christine & The Queens set, as I didn't catch all of it.

He played his new album in full. It's an art piece. A story.

It's challenging. But boy, he can dance and sing.

To acknowledge the elephant in the room. He performs most of the set topless, with tape on his breasts.

(I have never, ever written a sentence like that.)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Dave Grohl guesting with a headliner at Glastonbury is becoming a bit like bands appearing on later and having Jools Holland play boogie woogie piano with them.

I've never liked G&R, but always thought that they were just very good at doing something I don't like. I've just caught the last half an hour and couldn't believe quite how bad they were.
I agree with you on all points. For some reason, Alexis Petridis doesn't:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I was working last night, but given special dispensation to pop out and see Loyle Carner (I’m a driver for West Holts). That was a beautiful set by a truly lovely individual. Superb.

Before my shift The Last Dinner Party were fun, Working Men’s Club were also very good. Generation Sex was wonderfully nostalgic, Jones and Cook still create a unique sound.

Lovely to chat to @jackalbion at Woodsies. Hope he’s alive today!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

Alexis Petridis is wrong in almost everything he thinks about music. His writing drives me mad. He is just so desperate to position himself in opposition to other music journalism that he ends up sounding like the Burchill/Young/Parsons parodies that Lee and Herring did in the 'Ironic Review' sketches. Typical of him to try and crowbar in some half baked aftertiming about G&R, not Nirvana being responsible for the end of hair metal's dominance. Utter drivel. Guns'n'Roses didn't wear enough make up to be hair metal, but they did the 'rawk out', drugs and booze, ten minute guitar solos and sappy 'I'm sensitive really' ballads that Nirvana's emergence made a lot of people think was all a bit silly.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Brilliant set from FBS. Could’ve been an epic kit reveal if they got him doing it there!
I said that to the wife yesterday when catching up on the Royal Blood set. Sure they did a kit reveal before.
Off to see them and Muse today, be a treat if they did it today.
Dave Grohl guesting with a headliner at Glastonbury is becoming a bit like bands appearing on later and having Jools Holland play boogie woogie piano with them.

I've never liked G&R, but always thought that they were just very good at doing something I don't like. I've just caught the last half an hour and couldn't believe quite how bad they were.
Axl Rose made them seem bad with his Nan calling you in for tea voice and Sammy Lee/ Neil Warnock fusion look.

Slash was incredible.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I'll have to trust you guitar fans on Slash's performance. I don't really speak guitar hero. Brilliantly proficient he may have been, but to me, he just seemed to lumber from place to place and play long, dull solos that took any momentum from the songs. (It's me, not him. I'd say the same if it was Eddie Van Halen, Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, or even ( nobody tell @Kosh ) Ritchie Blackmore.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I was working last night, but given special dispensation to pop out and see Loyle Carner (I’m a driver for West Holts). That was a beautiful set by a truly lovely individual. Superb.

Before my shift The Last Dinner Party were fun, Working Men’s Club were also very good. Generation Sex was wonderfully nostalgic, Jones and Cook still create a unique sound.

Lovely to chat to @jackalbion at Woodsies. Hope he’s alive today!
Loyle Carner was great, so nice to see a big support out for him.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I'll have to trust you guitar fans on Slash's performance. I don't really speak guitar hero. Brilliantly proficient he may have been, but to me, he just seemed to lumber from place to place and play long, dull solos that took any momentum from the songs. (It's me, not him. I'd say the same if it was Eddie Van Halen, Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, or even ( nobody tell @Kosh ) Ritchie Blackmore.
Precisely my thoughts and vaguely qualified as I can knock out a few power chords.

Back in the day Slash was a great blues based feel player. Technically he was never in the same innovation/technique ball park as people live Satch, Vai or Malmsteen. However, those type of players are very Marmite and it's a fair argument that one well chosen note can be better than 100 sweep picked. Even in his prime I think Slash comes up short compared to Van Halen, Blackmore and could I add also add Gary Moore.

GnR for me are a band living off past glories. The likes of Metallica and Maiden are still relevant with new material and still filling out arenas and stadiums around the world.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
The Astley was brilliant. As others have said, had he sung with GnR then it would have been perfect. We found the recording from the day before where he did a set of Smiths covers with the Blossoms. Absolute magic.

Those of you there, put the factor 50 on today!
Just watched the Smiths set - brilliant, the highlight for me so far

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I enjoyed GnR (apart from Axl's vocals being a bit quiet) from a nostalgia perspective and it was a decent set. Slash is a decent guitar player and he's in the right band.
However, Generation Sex were the standout for me; They took the best half of each band to make something better than either, shame they didn't do it in '79

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

All opinions in art, or commercial hair metal, as in this case . . . I've always thought Alex Petridish was a bit of a tit in his writings.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I enjoyed the Guns set. I was expecting it to be dreadful and I was pleasantly surprised. Axl is clearly limited these days but the song choices helped him out and it was refreshing to see him not be a dick for a change, Angus Young clearly straightened him out. Each to their own and all that but if I was in the field I’d have loved that.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I enjoyed the Guns set. I was expecting it to be dreadful and I was pleasantly surprised. Axl is clearly limited these days but the song choices helped him out and it was refreshing to see him not be a dick for a change, Angus Young clearly straightened him out. Each to their own and all that but if I was in the field I’d have loved that.
I went to see AC/DC at the Olympic stadium with AR fronting them and to be fair he did them justice but bit of a let down last night for me.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I've never been to Glastonbury. So question for regulars, do all those flags and people sitting on others shoulders get in the way? I think that would seriously piss me off.
I wondered the same before I went. In short, no. The flags are a lot higher up than it looks on tele and the Pyramid is on a slope meaning you get a pretty good view regardless of where you are. People on shoulders as normal, only affects you if you’re unlucky enough get someone directly in front doing it for a long time, otherwise it’s fleeting.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m looking forward to watching the GnR set later today. I saw him front AC/DC…..that was an extraordinary gig.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Well, I agree re Slash but even (how dare he!) mentioning him in the same context as Ritchie… well, it’s a leather glove removing, face slapping, crossbows at dawn kind of a moment.

Slash (pah) when compared with this, simply incendiary by comparison:

Slash has never and will never play with that much aggression, dexterity and (in spite of the speed) scorching beauty.

And, yes Blackmore understood, more understated raw simplicity (at times) and light and shade dynamics WAY more than Slash… who wasn’t even the best guitarist in peak era GnR, but BOY was he the LOUDEST.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If you want to see pure joy, go on social media and check out the BSL feed for GnR and Foo Fighters.

The ladies air guitaring to slash is possibly the greatest thing I have ever seen.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports