Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Glastonbury Festival 2023 - the thread

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I have been trying to work out how to respond to this post but am not sufficiently skilled, so I will have to use Nick Cave's words instead:

"As a songwriter and someone who believes songs possess extraordinary healing power, I am saddened by the thought that songs by arguably the greatest lyricist of his generation – songs like ‘This Charming Man’, ‘Reel Around the Fountain’ and ‘Last Night I Dreamed Somebody Loved Me’ – are consigned to the moral dustbin by those who feel they have been tainted by his current political posturing. I respect and understand why people respond in this way, but can’t help but feel it is of significant personal loss to them.

Perhaps it is better to simply let Morrissey have his views, challenge them when and wherever possible, but allow his music to live on, bearing in mind we are all conflicted individuals – messy, flawed and prone to lunacies. We should thank God that there are some among us that create works of beauty beyond anything most of us can barely imagine, even as some of those same people fall prey to regressive and dangerous belief systems."
I agree with the first bit of the first sentence. On the scale of fruit loop, Caves had more than his fair share of sunny delite, which puts him on the scale of MOrrissey, in spades. ( baddum tish)

Last edited:

luge

Dec 18, 2010
Agreed. The way he presses play on those cds is awesome
Fair bit more to it than that but get your point... I've been really disappointed with most of the live acts this year tho. Guns and Roses were dull, manics seemed off... wizkid below par.

There was some lad called Jacob in a technicolour dreamboat get up earlier who was impressive tho.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Weird at the Lana stage, seems they’ve cut her off so she’s leading the crowd through mime

Jimmy Grimble

Brilliant set from FBS. Could’ve been an epic kit reveal if they got him doing it there!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I have been trying to work out how to respond to this post but am not sufficiently skilled, so I will have to use Nick Cave's words instead:

"As a songwriter and someone who believes songs possess extraordinary healing power, I am saddened by the thought that songs by arguably the greatest lyricist of his generation – songs like ‘This Charming Man’, ‘Reel Around the Fountain’ and ‘Last Night I Dreamed Somebody Loved Me’ – are consigned to the moral dustbin by those who feel they have been tainted by his current political posturing. I respect and understand why people respond in this way, but can’t help but feel it is of significant personal loss to them.

Perhaps it is better to simply let Morrissey have his views, challenge them when and wherever possible, but allow his music to live on, bearing in mind we are all conflicted individuals – messy, flawed and prone to lunacies. We should thank God that there are some among us that create works of beauty beyond anything most of us can barely imagine, even as some of those same people fall prey to regressive and dangerous belief systems."
I personally think,I could be wrong, I’ve met him, had a drink with him back in the late 90s and do not think he’s racist, he championed Mexican issues in America, and his songs, such as Bengali in platforms, national front disco are about white folks insecurity , the media classed him as a racist back at Finsbury Park, he waved a Union Jack around, skinheads there to see Madness threw coins at him as he waved a Union Jack about, and he walked off stage, from that moment he was blighted by the media.
i was there and as we walked to Finsbury park skinheads and others were singing some very unsavoury songs, if you know the area, you can imagine.
several years later brit pop came, and the Union Jack was everywhere and cool !
Suddenly waving the Union Jack became cool, because the media said so.
Ever since then the media has portrayed him as racist, yes he’s controversial but have you ever heard him be racist ?
he challenges authority, the impact diversity has on both sides, that’s not racist.

just my opinion, on speaking to him, as I’ve said before I could be wrong, but I don’t think so.
I’ve known some very unsavoury characters in my life, he is not one.
contrary and controversial yes.

Last edited:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Leftfield followed by FBS - absolutely superb. Would've given anything to be at the Park stage tonight.

Both (esp FBS) also felt like a BHA love-in. The two lads that kept featuring during the FBS set - one in buckethat and this season shirt and one in 2002 shirt - I wonder if they post on here?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Took the mic off her at midnight, I assume a local authority condition.

Shame, half way through the set.

But she then spent time with the legions of loving fans :bowdown:😍
Does seem rather odd she has to stop but others can keep going TBH

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
The Albion always hugely disproportionately represented at Glastonbury - why is that!? Every year I think the same - always BHA flags everywhere even compared to the so-called Big Six clubs

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Dave Grohl guesting with a headliner at Glastonbury is becoming a bit like bands appearing on later and having Jools Holland play boogie woogie piano with them.

I've never liked G&R, but always thought that they were just very good at doing something I don't like. I've just caught the last half an hour and couldn't believe quite how bad they were.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here