Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glasses/Spectacles and face masks at football

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I've posted this in other threads but I realise it needs it's own special place.

Last night I spent the first 20 trying to sort out the constant fogging of my glasses and I see a number of people having similar issues.

1) I went for taking them off completely. I am not too blind so could still follow the game but it was challenge to identify every player.
2) Then I put them on just for when we were attacking, that worked okay. It was useful that our goal was easy to have time to do this!
3) Then after about 30 minutes of this juggling act I adjusted my snood (and mask on top), so that the snood was really high on my nose, the glasses wedged firmly on my nose to try and trap the air in. With the mask over the snood, this worked reasonably well.
4)Then I adjusted my glasses further down my nose and looked out from them a bit like a mad professor and this worked the best.

It was enough to watch the match after that in relative comfort although my nose is sore today from the wedging.

Anyone else fair better and have advice to add. I've investigated online and the above is pretty much the considered technique but I can't help but feel there is a better way?

ps) I can't wear contact lenses.

SNOOD!!!!!!!

According to the EPL they are not allowed, only surgical( ex millwall) masks and cotton home made jobbies!

Barber out

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I had the same fogging issues. Ashamed to say that I resorted to wearing the mask just below my nose (albeit I made sure to breathe out through my mouth, which was well covered). Unfortunately, as I was standing right behind the goal, several friends spotted me on TV and sent me piccies of my law-breaking. I'll definitely try the washing-up liquid solution.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
SNOOD!!!!!!!

According to the EPL they are not allowed, only surgical( ex millwall) masks and cotton home made jobbies!

Barber out

You can wear a snood, but you have to put a mask on top. You can’t wear a snood INSTEAD of a mask.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
To repeat the advice I gave on another thread (i think this was the comment that Tom Hark was referring to) -

Put one very small drop of washing up liquid into about an egg-cup full of water, mix it around, then dip a cloth / tissue in the liquid.
Wipe the cloth on the inside and outside of your glasses.
They will not steam up.
(Genuine, not a wind-up)

I guarantee it works :thumbsup:

Thank you. I shall be running experiments ahead of the Sheffield game.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Depends a little on the type of glasses but easiest method is to make sure the mask is close to the top of your nose and sit the glasses on top of the mask. They don’t fog then. Helps if you wear a mask with a wire strip to hug the nose.

Yes, a wire strip in the mask to press against the bridge of your nose, helps stop misting up.

Sussexscots

3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 3, 3, 3, 3 ,3 ,3 3 coach chuggers
Yes - this seems very odd. No need to wear mask when seated in a cafe, pub or restaurant but mandatory when seated OUTSIDE when socially distanced. I'm with you on this one.

But then we do need to remember that most of the "rules" have been made "on the hoof" with no logic or science behind them at all.

Exactly this. Demonstrations, packed beaches, shopping in London last weekend . Little physical distancing. Few masks. Outside. Test event. Beer on sale. Outside. No masks at seat.

2,000 people duly distanced. Masks . Logic?

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
If you follow the link on the club's email it says you need to wear a mask except when eating or drinking, or if you wish to remove it while sat in your seat.
If you just open the info on the club's website it says you must wear it at all times.
They need to get their message straight.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
You can wear a snood, but you have to put a mask on top. You can’t wear a snood INSTEAD of a mask.

Ahaaaaaaaa. I stand corrected.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If you follow the link on the club's email it says you need to wear a mask except when eating or drinking, or if you wish to remove it while sat in your seat.
If you just open the info on the club's website it says you must wear it at all times.
They need to get their message straight.

It said the same on the ticket info before the Saints game - I queried it at the fan’s forum and PB said the rules had changed (again) that day to be ‘masks unless eating or drinking’. It was an EPL - wide decision (the EFL haven’t gone down the same route). Agree website should really have been updated by now if it hasn’t.......

Can only think the EPL are being extra cautious with a view to showing how well things work so they can argue for increased numbers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This. I’m on the trial for the Novavax vaccine. Whilst it’s 50/50 vaccine/placebo I did have some mild side effects after the second jab so am fairly sure I had the vaccine.

Could also be the placebo effect? This can be real and/or imagined. By real I mean some people can have genuine reaction to having a inert substance injected into them.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
A little surgical tape run along the top of the mask and face stops any fogging of glasses whatsoever.

Being physically perfect and never having needed glasses, I don't know how I know this :wink: but I have told a number of people who have all reported 100% success rate.

Last edited:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I've posted this in other threads but I realise it needs it's own special place.

Last night I spent the first 20 trying to sort out the constant fogging of my glasses and I see a number of people having similar issues.

1) I went for taking them off completely. I am not too blind so could still follow the game but it was challenge to identify every player.
2) Then I put them on just for when we were attacking, that worked okay. It was useful that our goal was easy to have time to do this!
3) Then after about 30 minutes of this juggling act I adjusted my snood (and mask on top), so that the snood was really high on my nose, the glasses wedged firmly on my nose to try and trap the air in. With the mask over the snood, this worked reasonably well.
4)Then I adjusted my glasses further down my nose and looked out from them a bit like a mad professor and this worked the best.

It was enough to watch the match after that in relative comfort although my nose is sore today from the wedging.

Anyone else fair better and have advice to add. I've investigated online and the above is pretty much the considered technique but I can't help but feel there is a better way?

ps) I can't wear contact lenses.

https://www.wrkrmask.com/shop/p/spit-mask

Not cheap, but job done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here