Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Giving up on the Albion (part 1)

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
I would never give up on the :albion2: as such but VAR and the general balls up being made of top flight football does make me want to give up on the Premier League.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
But you can have both.

I'm a ST at the Amex but don't go to away games due to cost, travel, and time.

What I do enjoy though is going to support my local non league side 'Shoreham' when they are at home and the Albion are not (or the fixture is moved to another day). It only costs a fiver, I can walk to the ground from where I live and detour via the pubs in town on the way home.

Yes, there are many things I dislike about the corporate game that exists at the top level, but the balance for me is going to local county league football when it fits in around the Albion. More people should try it as it's really enjoyable and a good antidote to all the overpriced prima donnas in the Premier League. You can have the best of both worlds.

smelly

May 23, 2004
Disillusioned but not giving up .

Revitalised by watching “we’re on our way” again last night.

Only three years ago but the togetherness and camaraderie of club players and fans seems like light years away.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
I've seen it all in fifty odd years of supporting my team, constant lower league football, a handful of minutes from going out of the league, a couple of seasons playing on the moon, a great many years sitting on scaffold at an athletics track, euphoria and despair, I've had the lot. Becoming a snowflake because we're not competing with a traditional english top six? Nope, not yet. I will be buried or cremated in a blue and white box but until that time......you can **** right off with this vitriol towards my team

Says it all. Look how far we've come since the club was on life-support and moments away from oblivion. Anyone thinking of baling out, please spare a thought for all those fans, many of whom are sadly no longer with us, whose loyalty and personal sacrifice has ensured that we still have a great old club to support. Don't throw it away.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Not so much the Albion as the Premier League. Yes we (they) voted for the PPV (well done Leicester City) but it really is just money money money. I understand that everything costs. You want to win so need the best and the best costs. But in a world where there are more people who want to go to football than seats available then the clubs can do as they wish.
It's drip drip with ever increasing prices. For me taking away the coach parking subsidy was a start. Luckily I've just hit 65 and ST prices have gone down, but I paid for mine in full but nothing back yet. We are a small club fighting to live with the big boys but we need to keep The Albion a small family friendly club.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We seem to be unanimous in our love and support of the Club/team, the irk appears to be directly related to the PL and its business model. When a business becomes bigger than the sport its bound to go tits up . . . MOtorsport is a good example, F1 went to shit years ago, the silly money and corporatisation has even got to historic motor racing which was once populated by die hard enthusuasts, They've all gone and the cars are all new. . . . I'm struggling for an analogy for football but I fear for the future of football.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I'm out.

As I posted on the PPV thread this whole situation is difficult for the fans and for the clubs, I get that. However, at the outset of the pandemic when players were bulking at pay deferments when ordinary people were losing their jobs stuck in my throat. As an owner of a business my first thought was to cover the pay of those that earn least and then we cut at ever increasing percentages above that. The amount that players donated didn't cut it with me, it was too little too late and, for most, too begrudgingly.

Like most on here I've had a season ticket for the past twenty years but this is my last year, I've enjoyed attending games, home and away, and will remain and consider myself a supporter of the Albion but with my lad now playing in SCFL and having gained a better understanding how little finance some of these clubs has led me to realise my money will benefit more in non-league football and they need my money more.

Before the flaming starts I realise the players don't need to give money or reduce their wages, even when much lower paid staff are being furloughed or laid off and I should be grateful for what they did do. I also recognise that many will feel it's wrong to give up a season ticket after so long but the truth is, I really don't care about the club in the way I have previously. I'll still get to a game occasionally and will always be looking at the latest score whilst I pay my £6 entrance fee and grab a beer whilst watching a game, home or away, in Sussex. I also know some SCFL clubs do have wealthy benefactors and pay their players, but not all do and many are hanging by a thread.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
For me it's a case of Premier League fatigue, not BHA fatigue.

I hope this phase is just another episode in the rollercoaster of following the Albion. We have a particular history of digging deep when tough times come along. This will be another test to rise above.

There is so much to be proud of in supporting our club, especially during the Covid situation. OK, they may not get it right 100% of the time.

However, it is the baggage associated with the PL that is eroding my feel good factor. I want us to dine at the top table, but not at any cost.

Put in perspective by having attended a few non-league games (Kings Lynn Town). A breath of fresh air - and a welcome reality check.

Apr 29, 2012
But you can have both.

I'm a ST at the Amex but don't go to away games due to cost, travel, and time.

What I do enjoy though is going to support my local non league side 'Shoreham' when they are at home and the Albion are not (or the fixture is moved to another day). It only costs a fiver, I can walk to the ground from where I live and detour via the pubs in town on the way home.

Yes, there are many things I dislike about the corporate game that exists at the top level, but the balance for me is going to local county league football when it fits in around the Albion. More people should try it as it's really enjoyable and a good antidote to all the overpriced prima donnas in the Premier League. You can have the best of both worlds.

This

I'll always be an Albion fan, it's in the blood - a simple as that..................but I have also, like southstandandy been going to Worthing FC games when the Albion are away or whatever, and thoroughly enjoy the experience because it's just such a contrast to the AMEX. Half the Worthing team are ex Albion youngsters in any event!

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I commented on the Lewes thread to say they would be my non-league team of choice, that's all. I see that as no different to having an NFL team to follow or a rugby club. It's different worlds entirely.

I am and always will be an Albion fan. I'm born and bred in Brighton and Albion are my team by default and always will be.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Disillusionment with what modern football has become, irresistible force.
Love of the Albion, pride in where we are, immovable object.
Decision:
Ignore the money go round and PPV, listen on the radio, go in the ballots, obviously take up my season ticket if things ever get back to normal,
play a part in the revival of my other local club, Southwick 1882 FC....
I could never give up on the Albion!

Last edited:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Disillusionment with what modern football has become, irresistible force.
Love of the Albion, pride in where we are, immovable object.
Decision:
Ignore the money go round and PPV, listen on the radio, go in the ballots, obviously take up my season ticket if things ever get back to normal,
play a part in the revival of my other local club, Southwick 1882 FC....
I could never give up on the Albion!

don't always agree with you, But spot on here!

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I've not "given up" as such. But I was very rarely going before lockdown (only went to 1 game last season and maybe 4 or 5 the season before). Reasons for that are a) the expense- I simply have much better and more important things to spend my money on and b) the time- I have a kid of which I am the main care giver- to go to a Brighton game means being away from him for a sizable chunk of the day, and I simply don't have much desire to do that on a regular basis.

I will still stream the occasional game but if I want to watch football in person it'll be non league

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
No because the social side of the Albion is one of the best things in my life. But if my friends and family decided to jack it in because they've become disillusioned with all the corporate bollocks that comes with being in the Premier League I'd happily join them.

They won't, of course.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

This is quite a deal breaker for me too. "Going to the football" is always so much more than the 90 minutes of the game for me. At various points in the last 46 years of my Albion supporting life, I have had various groups of friends I go with, and if any stopped going for some reason or other, I enjoyed it far less. In fact on a few occasions I found myself in a situation where I've had nobody to go with, and subsequently not bothered going myself. Personally find going to football on my own rather boring.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
This is quite a deal breaker for me too. "Going to the football" is always so much more than the 90 minutes of the game for me. At various points in the last 46 years of my Albion supporting life, I have had various groups of friends I go with, and if any stopped going for some reason or other, I enjoyed it far less. In fact on a few occasions I found myself in a situation where I've had nobody to go with, and subsequently not bothered going myself. Personally find going to football on my own rather boring.

Totally agree

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I haven't given up on the Albion, i couldn't. Happy to watch on tv, read news, forums etc The days of me parting with large sums of money is over. Going again will be extremity rare. To corporate now and i hate the Premier league and VAR.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here