Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Giving away goals at the end of games!!

May 9, 2008
Stanmore, London
Is it just me or is this not a bit of a worrying trend so far this season? How many points have we thrown away by not seeing games out until the final whistle?! Or even until half time for that matter. 8 points I think. So We could be joint 2nd!

Brighton 3-3 Cheltenham
Murray 45+2 :shootself
Gallinagh 90+4 :shootself
2 points dropped in my book. Goals conceded in half-time injury time and full-time injury time.

Northampton 2-2 Brighton
Akinfenwa 77 :shootself
Akinfenwa 90+6 :shootself
2 points dropped. 1 goal conceded in the last 13 minutes and 1 in injury time.

Yeovil 1-1 Brighton
Way 80 :shootself
Granted we had a player sent off but another goal conceded in the last 10 minutes. Walsall held out for 60 minutes with 9 men!!

Brighton 1-4 Scunthorpe
Hooper 45+3 :shootself
Another goal conceded in half-time injury time. Final result could have been very different if we went in at just 1 nil down.

Brighton 1-1 Bristol Rovers
Lambert (pen) 86 :shootself
Goal conceded in last 4 minutes.

Crewe 1-2 Brighton
Zola 85 :shootself
Nice to see us still pulling a win out of the bag here, but again another goal conceded in the last 5 minutes. :bowdown: :clap:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Good point, I was wondering the same yesterday although I didn't realise it's as bad as it is. Occasionally teams will concede late goals, but when it's happening week in week out you've got to think there's a problem that needs addressing somewhere.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We need an old head to lead the players who show their lack of experience.
Savage was screaming at the back four just before coming off to step up 10 yds but nobody took any notice. We could do with another Simon Morgan/Jason Dodd/ Guy Butters type player in the back four but not an injury plagued one. It would appear that Hawkins, although perhaps being experienced does not have the pressence of those mentioned.

We do not know how to kill off games.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Weirdly, last year we SCORED a LOAD of late goals.

Not sure why, but it needs to be worked on.

Weirdly, last year we SCORED a LOAD of late goals.

Not sure why, but it needs to be worked on.

Last season we conceded a LOAD of early goals, so we were often having to retrieve situations.
We also piled into teams yet too-often wasted chances and let sides off the hook.

This season we take our chances, but seem to struggle to prevent opposing teams from making and taking theirs.

Jimmy Grimble

We need an old head to lead the players who show their lack of experience.
Savage was screaming at the back four just before coming off to step up 10 yds but nobody took any notice. We could do with another Simon Morgan/Jason Dodd/ Guy Butters type player in the back four but not an injury plagued one. It would appear that Hawkins, although perhaps being experienced does not have the pressence of those mentioned.

We do not know how to kill off games.

I agree.

I also think our side isnt as fit as others in this division, every game I've been to the opposition look as though they are fully fit and plug away for the full 90 minutes, whereas, we tend to tire towards the end of the game, in particular Whing, Hawkins, Richards, Livermore and Forster, and it is indeed costing us. Perhaps Micky's pre-season wasnt quite as demanding as it should have been.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
From my "We're a first half team" thread:

According to http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/teams/BrightonAndHove.html we are ranked 11th in the League on our first half performances and 20th on our second half performances.

All bar a very few of our goals conceded have been in the last 15 minutes or the five minutes just before half time.

We have a consistent and demonstrable issue here - it seems we switch off just before half time and towards the end of the game.

Micky - I'm sure you will find an answer, but can it be soon please.

(Just to note - we're ranked 23rd on home form and 6th on away form! After nine league games last season we has scored two more points and had a +2 gd as opposed to -1 at the moment)

From my "We're a first half team" thread:

According to http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/teams/BrightonAndHove.html we are ranked 11th in the League on our first half performances and 20th on our second half performances.

All bar a very few of our goals conceded have been in the last 15 minutes or the five minutes just before half time.

We have a consistent and demonstrable issue here - it seems we switch off just before half time and towards the end of the game.

Micky - I'm sure you will find an answer, but can it be soon please.

(Just to note - we're ranked 23rd on home form and 6th on away form! After nine league games last season we has scored two more points and had a +2 gd as opposed to -1 at the moment)

To be fair, it's at those times in a match that oppositions 'up their game' and put a little more passion into getting a result - so we aren't just capitulating or dropping our guard. Albion are simply proving unable to repel attacks of intent, force or meaningful effort.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
It just goes to show that anyone who leaves the game before the final whistle is selling themselves short just for the sake of being at the front of the P&R queue. The late goal yesterday didn't look like loss of concentration, more like the sort of bad defending you could get any time in a defence that includes Colin 'dont panic' Hawkins. IMO if you were to drag Virgo in from the wing to centre half alongside Tommy Elphick then at least we'd have a solid and composed central pairing

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Personally I would point the finger at Hawkins. He looks tired towards the end of a game. Virgo and Elphick is a better combination or Lynch in the mix, not that that is going to happen.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
I think a new discipline should be introduced at the end of training each day when the players are tired. The first 11 have to keep the ball for 5 minutes while the rest of the squad try to get it off them, if they get the ball then the clock is reset and they start again. if it means them being there until midnight before they get it right then so be it but they will soon learn how to keep the ball and time waste

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here