[Music] Give Me A Song That...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Where do I start? One of my things is music in a different language.

This is glorious!

The Nipplepeople are an occasional act from Croatia whose singer is famous for something else and always appears on stage in costume. This track is actually a cover of a Croatian pop song from the 60s (it has a fabulous 'Kia Ora' Cinema ad feel to it).

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Great category, but it's absolutely huge. I could have spent all day thinking about it, but I've got to do some work (and I think it may have just sent me on another fruitless search for reasonably priced Fania All Stars compilations). Instead I'll hark back to happy days of the late eighties recording sessions by this lot off of Peel and Kershaw shows and taking very poor guesses at the spellings of the song titles. That guitar sound. I've still not heard anything quite like it. It just flies.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I thought for about ten minutes about NOT posting this, as it's pretty obvious and I have quite a lot of non-English language tunes on various playlists and albums (Cerys is terrific for introducing such things). But I absolutely LOVE this to bits and have seen them live and danced to it. So apologies, but it IS this one.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I thought for about ten minutes about NOT posting this, as it's pretty obvious and I have quite a lot of non-English language tunes on various playlists and albums (Cerys is terrific for introducing such things). But I absolutely LOVE this to bits and have seen them live and danced to it. So apologies, but it IS this one.

I’ll second this

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Great category, but it's absolutely huge. I could have spent all day thinking about it, but I've got to do some work (and I think it may have just sent me on another fruitless search for reasonably priced Fania All Stars compilations). Instead I'll hark back to happy days of the late eighties recording sessions by this lot off of Peel and Kershaw shows and taking very poor guesses at the spellings of the song titles. That guitar sound. I've still not heard anything quite like it. It just flies.

Agreed on the category. I've been waiting for this after suffering so much tiresome US/UK Rock and Pop on here :wink:

I was a huge Kershaw fan, and also listened to Charlie Gillett on Radio London religiously too. There was also a DJ on Radio London at the time called Gerry Lycett (sp. ?) who ran a little segment in his show that he called 'sunshine guitar', and Bhundu Boys was exactly the type of artists that he'd play in the segment.

I'm going to have a think on this before posting, but it's not going to be easy as so much of the music I have and listen to is in a different language to English.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Ces maudites guitares électriques ! :lolol:

Amazing isn't it !

Same instrument. Broadly speaking, one continent makes it sunny and a joy to listen to, whilst two other continents thrash the living daylights out of it and make it unlistenable to the point of putting my teeth on edge :lol:

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
As others have written, this category has huge possibilities. However, as this forum is loosely connected to the beautiful game, I will add this banger from the wonderful Jorge Ben Jor.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Just for Stato, I considered going down the Oliver de Coque route, but to play to the question instead, I've decided to go for a proper African banger that is enjoyed by millions, with the majority not even understanding the language it's sung in.
There can't be a living African, since this tune was released, that hasn't heard this played at a party :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports