Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gigs at The AMEX

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The gig-holding aspect of the Amex does appear to be somewhat underused. Dare say there are some residual LDC-imposed restrictions that the club are still bound by, but, really, these should robustly challenged and kicked into touch. There's a big Summertime marketing opportunity being missed there, with or without SASTA deigning to provide their crummy services.

Transport seems to be a problem for gigs though. If I recall correctly, instead of putting on more trains Southern bizarrely decided to shut the station for gigs. Or maybe I'm confusing this with the Beachdown thing in Stamner Park?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Transport seems to be a problem for gigs though. If I recall correctly, instead of putting on more trains Southern bizarrely decided to shut the station for gigs. Or maybe I'm confusing this with the Beachdown thing in Stamner Park?

If memory serves, SASTA shut Falmer station at 10pm for the FBS gig, even tho it was due to finish at 11pm. In theory, the post-match scrum should not have been much worse than for an Albion midweek match, but the scrum would have been made up of one-off visitors who would have been maybe less inclined to form an orderly queue than the Albion midweek punters. My daughter and her mates went to FBS and just walked back into town, I don't think they regarded it as any great hardship.

S

smileyweb

Scheduling will have played a big part. The Cure are in America this month and Australia start of next. Turf at the Amex also needs relaying, so window for opportunity for The Amex to host gigs is extremely narrow.

The pitch isn't turfed, it's dug up and reseeded / grown from scratch every close season - making that window even smaller.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
The Amex? FFS. Is nowhere safe from the narrow-eyed sex-pest?

Ryan-Giggs-ryan-giggs-12792153-298-298.jpg

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Given the weather this "summer" the ground staff are going to come in for enough flak next season as they'll be struggling to get the pitch prepared. They might be glad of some sort of cure but not the one you're talking about!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The pitch isn't turfed, it's dug up and reseeded / grown from scratch every close season - making that window even smaller.

The pitch isn't dug up.

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
Well the pitch looked fine a couple of weeks ago when I was at the Amex. They even had groups of middle aged men playing on it .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If . My daughter and her mates went to FBS and just walked back into town, I don't think they regarded it as any great hardship.

Maybe for a FBS crowd, in fact I walked back as well, but it would be different for other more mainstream acts and their audience. It must be a consideration for promoters?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here