Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Get rid of the play offs!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
One off game: Loser of A) v winner of B) on Wednesday. Winner then has to play Wembley final? One game in the morning, then quick helicopter ride to Wembley for 3:00pm kick off, yep, should work fine.........................................

CLEARLY I wasn't saying play Wembley on Wednesday, it was just that I just didn't put a day in for it. But I'd have thought the second Sunday after the Wednesday semi would have been the one.

I still think this is the best suggestion to the play-offs.It's perfect and should be put forward to the F.A
Mine differs slightly from this because there is a lot of waiting around that has to be done by the 3rd placed team, which actually puts them at a disadvantage. This often happens in Premiership rugby where the winner of the regular season has suffered from lack of game time waiting for the play-offs to produce a final opponent for them.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Play-offs are fine as they are. Brilliant idea and a great way of prolonging interest until the last matches.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
The Play Offs are the best thing the Football League have come up with.

I love them the way they are, it keeps the season going all the way to the final games.

Sure we got 15 more points than Sheff Weds it means nothing now.

Im more annoyed that everytime we make them we seems to be missing several key players

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
have e-mailed the Football League on this very subject. Fail to see how a team finishing 15 points behind us could go up. Appreciate we all know the rules, but think I'm right in saying this scenario hasn't happened before (open to correction). My suggestion is that the third from bottom team in all four leagues should play the third team from the bottom in the league above. Of course this would mean the Football League would miss out on the finances, but in the end would be fairer for us supporters.......never happen, though !!
You haven't really, have you?! If you really have, then why didn't you email the league 2 or 3 seasons ago when we finished 6th and 4th?

hack

Feb 24, 2009
Play-offs are a great way of keeping the season alive, and even finishing third I think they're fine. Everyone knew at the start of the season what the rules were.

But I do think the semi finals should be one leg, at the home of the higher-finishing team.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The playoffs are largely a good thing IMO, but I do think there should be some advantage within the playoffs to the teams finishing higher in the league.

The advantage is that the higher placed team plays the second game at home. It is unusual for third place to be 15 points ahead.

The only thing other thing that could be changed is that if over the two games it ends in a draw, then the advantage goes to the highest placed team, rather than extra time and penalties.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
You haven't really, have you?! If you really have, then why didn't you email the league 2 or 3 seasons ago when we finished 6th and 4th?

because of the reason above...if you read it properly, the points gap between us and Wednesday, also the suggestion re the restructuring off the whole system

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
The Welsh Premier ( oh yes) have play offs with one leg! I kid you not. The side with the highest points play the one leg at their place so there is a play off which is biased to the side who had most points. A good idea and everyone is happy?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
We need to all stand up and do something to get rid off the play off system it is not a fair system and was probably invented just to sell more tickets. The top 3 should go up to the premier league it is that simple !

Codswallop - it's a terrific way to end the season. Just because it doesn't favour us this year, doesn't mean it a crap system.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here