Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gerrard Confirmed as Villa Boss

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I do wonder how difficult it must be to manage Rangers or Celtic though. Given the huge financial gap between those two and all the others, baring a disaster, it will always be one or the other which wins the title, so you only have to be slightly better than one other team to succeed.

Yep, the Monkey Tennis League will only ever be a two horse race.

I think Gerrard sets up ok for odd games (Villa seemed to have our number in both games last season) but there's no real long term plan, no real style of football and their squad, while expensively assembled, doesn't look suited to 5 subs allowed and the mid-winter break for the World Cup, where you need to have back ups in most positions and formations.

I'd add that Stevie G seems to be thoroughly unpleasant as a human being in my opinion.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

I think Gerrard sets up ok for odd games (Villa seemed to have our number in both games last season) but there's no real long term plan, no real style of football and their squad, while expensively assembled, doesn't look suited to 5 subs allowed and the mid-winter break for the World Cup, where you need to have back ups in most positions and formations.

I'd add that Stevie G seems to be thoroughly unpleasant as a human being in my opinion.

I agree with all of this apart from the final sentence. A friend of mine is in the Rangers squad (and was signed by Gerrard), and has nothing but good things to say about him as a person. Appreciate one glowing review doesn’t mean others with similar experience of him won’t think differently, but I thought it worthy of mention.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I agree with all of this apart from the final sentence. A friend of mine is in the Rangers squad (and was signed by Gerrard), and has nothing but good things to say about him as a person. Appreciate one glowing review doesn’t mean others with similar experience of him won’t think differently, but I thought it worthy of mention.

I've heard some stories that suggest the opposite, and from a very good source, but I certainly won't be posting them on here.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't think anyone should rush to judgement. Villa should stick with Gerrard. I'm sure it'll come good eventually. And Everton should stick with Lampard.

Or alternatively, Villa should dump Gerrard, poach Vieira, and Palace should go for Scottish Premiship winning Gerrard as their manager...

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
As someone else has said on here. Choose the chairman, not the club. I think we'll be fine.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There was an Athletic article a few weeks ago about the things that Premier League managers blame when their teams lose. They logged comments made by managers after every game to compile the list. Tuchel came top, making more excuses than anyone else, and Arteta was second. Tuchel blamed other factors (ie not himself) after 11 out of 19 defeats, including COVID, referees, individual players, fatigue and Chelsea's pitch.

What was interesting was that when Gerrard made excuses, he blamed his players 50% of the time. One of the things that seemed to make Sir Alex Ferguson so successful was that he never publicly criticised his players for what happened on the pitch. Consequently, they knew he had their backs and would run through brick walls for him. If Shtevie is perceived to be throwing his players under the bus when they lose, they'll soon decide they're not on his side when the chips are down. It lacks emotional intelligence- you never hear Potter slagging a player off. It's all about learning from disappointments in his book. Not slating them in the media to protect your own arse.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

….as long as you don’t challenge his music.

And a gold club refused him membership as they didn’t like him. He was seconded by Dalglish and Hansen. That’s some snub.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Well at least there's the odd alternative view to the sycophancy dished out to Gerrard. I agree with all of this, but have no input on the last sentence.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
There was an Athletic article a few weeks ago about the things that Premier League managers blame when their teams lose. They logged comments made by managers after every game to compile the list. Tuchel came top, making more excuses than anyone else, and Arteta was second. Tuchel blamed other factors (ie not himself) after 11 out of 19 defeats, including COVID, referees, individual players, fatigue and Chelsea's pitch.

What was interesting was that when Gerrard made excuses, he blamed his players 50% of the time. One of the things that seemed to make Sir Alex Ferguson so successful was that he never publicly criticised his players for what happened on the pitch. Consequently, they knew he had their backs and would run through brick walls for him. If Shtevie is perceived to be throwing his players under the bus when they lose, they'll soon decide they're not on his side when the chips are down. It lacks emotional intelligence- you never hear Potter slagging a player off. It's all about learning from disappointments in his book. Not slating them in the media to protect your own arse.

About the only humans I've heard Potter 'slag off' are the few idiots that booed him and Sarmiento on his debut the last time we outplayed Dirty yet didn't get the result we wanted.
I think he was pretty bold to identify how dreadful our home fans were for so much of last season. Thankfully, he now seems to have won them round.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Whatever your views on Stevie-G, he has Arsenal then Citeh next. A real challenge to avoid 20th position.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Perhaps Villa should have done more to keep hold of Beale who is now at QPR. Since he’s left Villa have been a poorer team.

When Gerrard was appointed, a mate of mine who supports both Villa and Rangers was more excited about the prospect of Beale. Semms he was the brains of the outfit.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's all the more funny because for years, large sections of the football media have had Shtevie lined up to take over from Klopp whenever he goes, regardless of any actual ability. They've fallen into the common trap of assuming that because he was a decent player, he will automatically be a great manager. Whereas I think in many cases that doesn't work out, because the ego that makes somebody a top player means they lack the ability to empathise with those less talented than themselves. If everything came easily to you as a player, can you easily understand what it's like for somebody who doubts themselves, or is in a panic about their next contract, or who can't pull themselves out of a slump in form?

Liverpool fans must be so glad Klopp signed a new contract.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
It's all the more funny because for years, large sections of the football media have had Shtevie lined up to take over from Klopp whenever he goes, regardless of any actual ability. They've fallen into the common trap of assuming that because he was a decent player, he will automatically be a great manager. Whereas I think in many cases that doesn't work out, because the ego that makes somebody a top player means they lack the ability to empathise with those less talented than themselves. If everything came easily to you as a player, can you easily understand what it's like for somebody who doubts themselves, or is in a panic about their next contract, or who can't pull themselves out of a slump in form?

There's a growing body of evidence, including our own GPott, to support this. The outlier is probably Pep. He was a wonderful player.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Yep, all of that. The other problem with former top players who become managers like Gerrard is that they haven’t done the hard yards and learnt their trade to deal with those situations you highlight. A year with Liverpool kids then walking into Rangers and Villa where he’s admitted he was totally reliant on the coaching of Beale - he’s not got the experience needed of managing the day to day of the job.

The reason why Potter is now so good is the years he had in the job before. I see a lot of people on here saying they want Bruno to succeed Potter whenever he goes - as much as I love Bruno there is no way I’d want him to take over for exactly the same reasons. I would want someone who’s been a head coach or manager for years before taking on a PL job.

I do think coaching in this country has moved on so much in recent years, almost catching up with Europe, that I think the days of the Lampard’s and Gerrard’s walking into jobs they’re not qualified for will end. Everyone will realise how shit they are compared to the likes of Potter, Frank, Cooper and other British and foreign coaches who have done the hard yards.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
NSC has some widespread hate for a number of English players(current or ex). Harry Kane is one of the current players the majority seems to hate while Gerrard is a past player that seems to get the same treatment. I know nothing of him as a person other than through second hand information or from interviews. Neither of those paint him in a particularly bad light.

I'm not massively bothered if he fails or succeeds as a manager but I think I'd rather he succeeded. The more successful English managers there are the better. Same goes for Lampard. Whether either of them will I have my doubts but I'm not going to put the boot into either, there are plenty of people willing to do that already.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here