Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gerrard Confirmed as Villa Boss

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
They've reached £122 million just this window without even recouping a cent of it. The fourth highest net spend this window. We have the the lowest (or greatest profit as I like to think of it). Add in what they spent on Burn et al and they are very close to 150 mill if not more. They won't make a penny on Burn or Wood - they only bought them to weaken their rivals. Burn's already down to filling in for the injured Targett at left back.

https://www.sportingnews.com/uk/soc...ez-Richarlison-Jesus/l0rj2wd9arkzt7goqkkri6ps

They're putting in a structure that any sensible club would do. It's one that the likes of City and Spurs have also had for a long while. I'd be amazed if they were just winging it. When you're a despotic, murdering petro state you can pay for people who know things.

The antithesis of the pre-70s clubs where the chairman owned the club only to get a better seat at the Rotary Club dinner. You won't see any oil state owner doing the okey kokey and knee slides on the pitch wearing his Islamic over-sheet anytime soon. ???

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The antithesis of the pre-70s clubs where the chairman owned the club only to get a better seat at the Rotary Club dinner. You won't see any oil state owner doing the okey kokey and knee slides on the pitch wearing his Islamic over-sheet anytime soon. ???

:lolol:

Nor any players marrying Debbie from Accounting and putting "Steak and Chips" as their favourite meal and "Lager and Lime" as their favourite drink. Though today's yoof do seem keen on perms and tashes. The massive ****wits. Wait till they see themselves in 30 years time as a pound shop Terry McDermott covered in shit tattoos.

:moo:

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
I've never liked Villa, boring mid-table Prem club who think they're massive because they won some trophies in the 80s. Fact is their club is a mess, it's been a mess since they were fighting relegation season after season before finally going down.

I thought Gerrard was their savior to restore European Football? Now they're calling for his head after 4 games. The club has 0 patience and just want to throw money hoping to fix it.

They'll go down in the next 3 years.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
:lolol:

Nor any players marrying Debbie from Accounting and putting "Steak and Chips" as their favourite meal and "Lager and Lime" as their favourite drink. Though today's yoof do seem keen on perms and tashes. The massive ****wits. Wait till they see themselves in 30 years time as a pound shop Terry McDermott covered in shit tattoos.

:moo:

Ford Cortina ???

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Gerrard has an eye on the Liverpool job and my view was that he was trying to put a team together that would perform in the short term. Coutinho is a classic example and he was clearly after Suarez. Dish out a lengthy contract to get them to come and ideally he gets them on the edge of the European places and buggers off to Liverpool when Klopp strops off and Gerrard is perceived to be job well done at Villa. The next manager would be left with a load of old players on big fat contractson the downgrade. Not that Stevie G would care

As it happens, it seems he will be off by the international break and if that was the plan it isn't working. Letting a manager seemingly dictate the signings which have more self interest than long term planning won't end well for Villa either way. I have no inside Info but I'd put big money on it being a complete shit show behind the scenes long may it continue. I dread the day the rest cotton on to our approach.

Gerrard won’t become the Liverpool manager. Sentiment is almost irrelevant. Dalglish in 85 had a wonderful back room team to draw decades of experience from.

Anyway Klopp has committed to several more years, with Guardiola he’s streets ahead of the rest on man management, coaching and winning trophies.

Wishing your life away to be so sure everything goes wrong in 2026. Fenway Sports Group have run things pretty well so far, without injecting a single dollar to do a Newcastle/PSG. There’s nothing to suggest they’re going to start appointing idiots.

Who knows what the football landscape will look like when we’re 4 years older?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Our approach is uniquely tailored to our budget, senior management, fans and coach. It's not really replicable. Brentford are the closest and the next best well run club. That probably irks TB because I suspect he taught Benham a lot of what he knows but I can't see vast Middle Eastern states, Chinese oligarchs or American multi-team owners taking an apprenticeship at Star Lizard.

You are right that we have a fan base that is a lot more patient and grounded than the likes of the Villa fan base - who like Leeds - seem to think that success 40 odd years ago means they are a big club. They seem to think Pochettino will come and the big names will arrive just because they are Villa or Leeds. A problem that Forest fans don't seem to have been infested with and were successful just as recently. That said, these club that spunk money up the wall on shit players and fat contracts will surely come to their senses at some point. Some clubs have already

Arsenal have completely changed tack in recent years. Contracts for the likes of Ozil or William have dried up. Aubameyang was let go but they spent 50 million on Ben White who will probably be there for years. Newcastle are building from the bottom - and creating a structure - much to my surprise and annoyance. Surely someone will wake up at Villa or Everton HQ at some point even if their deluded fan bases don't?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Gerrard won’t become the Liverpool manager. Sentiment is almost irrelevant. Dalglish in 85 had a wonderful back room team to draw decades of experience from.

Anyway Klopp has committed to several more years, with Guardiola he’s streets ahead of the rest on man management, coaching and winning trophies.

Wishing your life away to be so sure everything goes wrong in 2026. Fenway Sports Group have run things pretty well so far, without injecting a single dollar to do a Newcastle/PSG. There’s nothing to suggest they’re going to start appointing idiots.

Who knows what the football landscape will look like when we’re 4 years older?

For the record, I don't think Gerrard will ever get the Liverpool job either but I do think that was what he was aiming for and was certainly part of his thought process. The fact it is going badly wrong at the moment is a source of amusement for us all.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
For the record, I don't think Gerrard will ever get the Liverpool job either but I do think that was what he was aiming for and was certainly part of his thought process. The fact it is going badly wrong at the moment is a source of amusement for us all.

You’re spot on, and LFC fans had wanted that.

This job has found him out, but he did a great job at Rangers when Celtic had at that time all the money. He naturally suffers from melancholy (like many souls), the pressure of being Liverpool manager would not be good for him.

I can’t stand Villa, so I’m happy to see this further dip in their 40 years of pain.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
B76649B7-A3CB-4949-8BEE-929C4A8746F7.png

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I'd say winning the UEFA Cup and thus qualifying for the UCL is probably our ceiling. Although Leicester have won the league and an FAC, and thus qualified for Euro competition twice in the past 7 years and I don't think they're that different from us.

The trouble is there are usually some seriously strong side in the latter stages of the Europa League. All the English winners in the past few decades have had Champions League experience and titles under their belts,. You'd be looking back to Ipswich in a totally different era for the last comparable club to lift the trophy (though a run like Middlesbrough and Fulham had to the Final would be fun!). As for Leicester, once they won the league, that spoilt it for the rest of us as the so-called Big Six were shaken out of their complacency. Structurally and financially they've done and continue to do everything they can to make sure it'll never happen again. Leicester's European appearances and FA Cup success came about after they won the title and could build from that position of strength.

Of course, I'll be absolutely delighted if I'm wrong and we're in the Champions League in a couple of years time!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Barber suggested on Talksport earlier that it'd be very difficult for any club, let alone Villa, to poach Potter due to his contract. Of course, not impossible, but PB didn't sound like a man concerned it'd happen any time soon.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
This is what Potter said about being a Villa fan as a kid as reported by Brian Owen in the Argus in 2020.
He was also a Birmingham fan too and didn't latch onto Villa until they won the European Cup in 1982. Its not exactly a lifelong love affair.
"“Most supporters will tell you, ‘Hold on, you can’t be Aston Villa AND Birmingham! You have got to be one or the other!’. But I think I pretty much was."
https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/18169773.graham-potter-loved-1982-euro-glory-likes-villa-blues/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here