Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

George Best

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Amazing talent who would have graced any era .

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
His genius should only ever be judged on the field of play, where he was unsurpassed. Quite simply, the most talented British footballer of all time. If you watched him in the flesh, as I did, you would gasp at his ability. He would be priceless today.
Who are we to judge him off the field and call him a flawed genius. We all have flaws. George gave more to football than most and the memories don't just linger, they burn and sear through you. Just a mention of his name and I smile. Used as a benchmark, very few have even come close. He is right up there in the rarified air of great footballers. Less than ten in history and he is one of them.
When my son was growing up and getting into football, I said to him that if he wanted to watch the complete player, he should study George Best. If he wanted to see how football should be played with freedom, with joy and with fearlessness, then Bestie was yer man.

Absolutely this.

To my mind the greatest player ever - comparisons on here with Jimmy Greaves are ridiculous. Maybe apart from his temperament (when he retaliated after getting kicked by thugs like Ron Harris or Norman Hunter) he did not have a single weakness in his game. He could dribble, tackle, head, was completely two footed and defended when he needed to.

The most tragic thing for me his was only in his early twenties when it all went wrong and was only 26 when he left United. He was badly advised and managed and had serious character flaws but to me the memories of his genius will always be there.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
His antics on Wogan (I think it was) revealed a character that made John Terry appear humble and generous spirited. If you want wayward self indulgent dick heads, give me Robin Friday any day. Here is how to celebrate taking the piss out of a goalkeeper:

View attachment 86834

Yes it was Wogan. According to GB's book Blessed, he was plide with alcohol in the BBC bar before the show

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I think he would be an excellent signing and I am unanimous in that.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
legend

us mere mortals dream of having a life like George

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here