George best deserved to die

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
TONY said:
At least 30 people were killed and 27 wounded when a car bomb exploded outside a hospital in a town south of Baghdad, officials say.
The bomb was detonated as two Iraqi police cars drew up near the general hospital in Mahmudiya, about 20km (12 miles) outside Baghdad.

A US military convoy passing by was also hit by the blast.

On Thursday evening a car bomb exploded in a busy market in Hilla, killing at least two people and injuring more.

At least 13 were injured in the blast, which occurred when a parked car exploded at about 1800 (1500 GMT) in the mainly Shia town, police said.

Civilian deaths

Mahmudiya is a mixed Sunni-Shia town in a region where insurgents have launched many attacks on US-led forces.

"At this time it appears that four of our soldiers were wounded but they are not life-threatening injuries," Sergeant David Abrams said of the US troops hurt in the attack.

Several Iraqi policemen were killed in the blast.

Women and children were also among the many civilian casualties, including at least one medic at the hospital's emergency centre.

"I was leaving the hospital with my one-and-a-half-year-old son in my arms when the explosion happened," Huda Ali told the AFP news agency.

"I was knocked down by the force of the blast and when I came to, my son was no longer in my arms. I found him among the dead."

The BBC's correspondent in Baghdad, Jim Muir, says that unlike many of the horrendous bomb attacks over the past week, the attack in Mahmudiya does not seem to have been aimed at the civilian population as such but at the Iraqi police.

Nonetheless, it is the civilians who have paid the bulk of the price, our correspondent says.

'Insurgents' last stand'

Laith Kubba, spokesman for Iraqi Prime Minister Ibrahim Jaafari, told reporters that insurgent attacks are likely to increase in the run-up to December's parliamentary elections.

He predicted that Muslim extremists and militants loyal to Saddam Hussein would make their last stand.

"Muslim extremists will be surrounded then wiped out," Mr Kubba said, although he conceded that it would not happen quickly.

In other developments, three US soldiers from Task Force Baghdad were killed in two separate attacks on military patrols in Baghdad on Wednesday, the US military said in a statement.

One soldier was killed in central Baghdad, while two others were killed in the south-west of the city.

An Iraqi soldier was also killed on Wednesday when a roadside bomb exploded in Khalidiya, near Falluja, police said.

isnt that daily news as well. something that we come to expect

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Maybe we should have reflect on someone who could have done so much and given so much and who had the world at his feet.....but blew his rich potential and died a sad and very ill man?

There are times when certain people become examples, unwitting martyrs underling some human folly.

It's anyone's guess, and we'll never actually know, but there may be an incredible talent - or several ordinary people - that takes some notice of this high profile and respected gifted genius of his trade, and the manner of his demise.
Perhaps someone will turn back from alcoholism in time, or vow to do something about their illness, and save themselves from an early death.

George Best RIP, his legend as a fantastic player is cemented in the history of football.
His foibles off the field are clearly down to alcohol, as is his early death.

Slowhand

Aug 24, 2005
Near Lewes
Some people will want to dishonour a memory for the sake of it. 'Look at me, I'm not one of the crowd!'.

There are a lot more people who thought George Best added to life's rich pattern than those who thought he detracted from it.

Many will post unimportant comment on here for all their life and still never be remembered!!

Those comments count for nothing, George Best probably inspired thousands to be footballers, others will inspire a few to be anonymous keyboard warriors.

I know who I would rather be!!!

RIP George Best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports