Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Genres of music that just don’t do it for you

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'd like to try and challenge on hip-hop a little. You don't have soul or funk in your shit list, yet hip-hop is very varied musically and you can find plenty of hip-hop that musically is basically funk or soul. Surely you can see why some might like that sort of hip-hop?

Modern hip-hop that is definitely tuneful;

Mac Miller
Childish Gambino
Kendrick Lamar

Sure there's plenty others.

I appreciate genres of music can be quite wide-ranging, so I guess my opinion is based on a particular brand of hip-hop. Top of the list would be guys like Drake (hard to get away from him in Toronto), Kanye West, 50 Cent etc. I can understand what you're saying with Kendrick Lamar and Childish Gambino, I can kind of see why some people might like their songs.

I didn't put funk or soul because I really haven't listened to enough of it to form an opinion.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Quite a lot of what HWT likes leaves me cold tbh...I have tried and I always open his posts but seldom get beyond the first 30 seconds. I would be interested to see a time line showing how HWT's musical tastes evolved because as far as I can see we both liked quite similar things in our early years but we have arrived at quite different destinations today.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Quite a lot of what HWT likes leaves me cold tbh...I have tried and I always open his posts but seldom get beyond the first 30 seconds. I would be interested to see a time line showing how HWT's musical tastes evolved because as far as I can see we both liked quite similar things in our early years but we have arrived at quite different destinations today.

Same. Too much electronic and frankly random stuff for this old codger! Not a criticism but it has to be something with musical instruments that need a human to be playing to pique my interest. I have a real aversion to electronic music, variety in the beat being pretty important too.

Luckily we all like what we like and so it should be. There are bands and singers I like that friends and family can’t listen to.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I appreciate genres of music can be quite wide-ranging, so I guess my opinion is based on a particular brand of hip-hop. Top of the list would be guys like Drake (hard to get away from him in Toronto), Kanye West, 50 Cent etc. I can understand what you're saying with Kendrick Lamar and Childish Gambino, I can kind of see why some people might like their songs.

I didn't put funk or soul because I really haven't listened to enough of it to form an opinion.

I love hip hop and hate Drake and 50 cent. Depends what your thing is, I think if you listened to something as happy and poppy as De La Soul 3 Feet High... You'd have a problem finding no redeeming qualities. Similarly if you like punk you might like Public Enemy

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
A bit of every which way. I make sure to listen to each album at least 2-3 times through. Doing 5 albums a week. It's tricky, because some albums can take weeks to really grab you, however I'm seeing this as more of a forced education on the history of modern music, and with 1,001 albums to plough through, it's going to take me 3-4 years as it is!

I take long walks daily at the moment (part of a fitness push) and often listen to music then, so I can really focus on them without distraction. Then repeat listens I will have on as background during working, driving etc.

So I've taken the plunge this week and up to Sabu, boy are there some tough listening in there! I totally admire you if you are listening some of that 2-3 times each.
Some good stuff also, which I was surprised at but feeling a little "Jazzed" out, but agree with your comments on Thelonious Monk, also The Louvin Brothers didn't register on the pleasure scale.

Some of the albums would go down well if the scene were set, cocktail party whilst listening to Duke Ellington and have just finished Sabu, which I really enjoyed, would have been enhanced whilst sitting in the garden on a sunny day.

I'm adding a little footnote at the bottom of the page, a rating out of ten and the date listened, eventually when finished i'll pass it on to my daughter.

Miles Davis next .

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So I've taken the plunge this week and up to Sabu, boy are there some tough listening in there! I totally admire you if you are listening some of that 2-3 times each.
Some good stuff also, which I was surprised at but feeling a little "Jazzed" out, but agree with your comments on Thelonious Monk, also The Louvin Brothers didn't register on the pleasure scale.

Some of the albums would go down well if the scene were set, cocktail party whilst listening to Duke Ellington and have just finished Sabu, which I really enjoyed, would have been enhanced whilst sitting in the garden on a sunny day.

I'm adding a little footnote at the bottom of the page, a rating out of ten and the date listened, eventually when finished i'll pass it on to my daughter.

Miles Davis next .

Ah glad to have you on the journey - are you keeping notes electronically or manually?

Totally get what you’re saying about being jazzed out - have struggled at times too. I’ve slowed a bit do not that far ahead of you, on Ella Fitzgerald and the 4 after hers atm, just moving into the 60s now.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Ah glad to have you on the journey - are you keeping notes electronically or manually?

Totally get what you’re saying about being jazzed out - have struggled at times too. I’ve slowed a bit do not that far ahead of you, on Ella Fitzgerald and the 4 after hers atm, just moving into the 60s now.

Just making manual notes in the book at the bottom of the page, so eventually when I finish I’ll pass on to my daughter for a personal keep sake, and hopefully some musical education.
I’m looking forward to the 60’s , had a browse through and there are some great names in there that never had the urge to listen to.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Just making manual notes in the book at the bottom of the page, so eventually when I finish I’ll pass on to my daughter for a personal keep sake, and hopefully some musical education.
I’m looking forward to the 60’s , had a browse through and there are some great names in there that never had the urge to listen to.

I can’t wait for late 70s, so much stuff there I already love or am sure I will.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Hip hop and drum and bass. Absolute shite.

Always makes me chuckle when someone denigrates a whole genre of music because they don't like it.

And, in this case, double your money!

Out of interest Zebedee, what do you consider to be good music?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I can’t wait for late 70s, so much stuff there I already love or am sure I will.

So have just completed the 50's with The Dave Brubeck Quartet.

Some tough listening in there especially as I'm not a jazz fan, but there was some good highlights especially Ella Fitzgerald, when I saw how long the album was my heart sunk!

Highlights for me:

Louie Prima
Fats Domino
The Crickets
Sabu
Tito Puente
Little Richard
Ella Fitzgerald

Shitbin:

The Louvin Brothers
Thelonius Monk

Roll on the 60's !

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I can’t get on with Punk.

I liken it to an ingredient such as flour. Essential and wonderful in so many recipes or genres but so dull on it’s own lacking in any real depth or complexity.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So have just completed the 50's with The Dave Brubeck Quartet.

Some tough listening in there especially as I'm not a jazz fan, but there was some good highlights especially Ella Fitzgerald, when I saw how long the album was my heart sunk!

Highlights for me:

Louie Prima
Fats Domino
The Crickets
Sabu
Tito Puente
Little Richard
Ella Fitzgerald

Shitbin:

The Louvin Brothers
Thelonius Monk

Roll on the 60's !

You’ve overtaken me, I’ve been slack this week but getting back on it soon. I really enjoyed Sarah Vaughan’s voice also, but otherwise pretty much agree with your likes and dislikes. Found Little Richard a bit boring after 3-4 tracks though.

Thanks for the update, keep it up.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Rock
Most music where a guitar is prominent.

Pretty much where I'm at too. To me, so much rock just sounds 'noisy', even when the volume level is really really low :lol:

I find it really dull and lacking in imagination too, for the most part.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here