Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] General question…

Super Sub

Aug 13, 2016
Excuse my ignorance but are the new strong referee yellow card rules being enforced both in the EPL and in Europe?
I ask because at this rate a lot more players will get short term bans this season and I really wouldn’t want a rule that is only applicable in the UK to affect our European chances.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Excuse my ignorance but are the new strong referee yellow card rules being enforced both in the EPL and in Europe?
I ask because at this rate a lot more players will get short term bans this season and I really wouldn’t want a rule that is only applicable in the UK to affect our European chances.
Domestic cautions/suspensions do not carry over to European competition, if that is what you are asking.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
They'll forget about it by October and the status quo will resume 🫠

But yeah, domestic bookings/sendings only apply in domestic competitions.
That’s my concern too. If they keep it up I am 100% behind it. The players will learn pretty quickly and it will add flow to games that teams like Villa are trying to take the momentum out of. Gross one was taking one for the team and Enciso’s was petulance. I am all for it, the refs just need to keep it going and not feel intimidated and bottle it at places like City and United if it means a second yellow for a home player.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
That’s my concern too. If they keep it up I am 100% behind it. The players will learn pretty quickly and it will add flow to games that teams like Villa are trying to take the momentum out of. Gross one was taking one for the team and Enciso’s was petulance. I am all for it, the refs just need to keep it going and not feel intimidated and bottle it at places like City and United if it means a second yellow for a home player.
I thought Enciso’s was harsh. He wasn’t kicking the ball away, it looked liked he was kicking it to where he was caught offside, so where the free kick should have been taken from

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I thought Encisco’s was harsh. He wasn’t kicking the ball away, it looked liked he was kicking it to where he was caught offside, so where the free kick should have been taken from
Likewise, it only went a few feet but I’m not convinced it wasn’t a bit of petulance.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I agree about the Enciso card, I thought he was rolling it back to where it should be taken, but he have the ref a chance to flex his yellow card, which he took.

And the early cards had an impact. At one point in the second half a wolves player went to kick that ball away and stopped just as his foot was about to make contact with the ball. He grinned sheepishly and jogged off.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I thought Enciso’s was harsh. He wasn’t kicking the ball away, it looked liked he was kicking it to where he was caught offside, so where the free kick should have been taken from
:lol:

I've just re-watched it, he was already further forward compared to the offside position when he knocked the ball ANOTHER 10m!

He was definitely kicking the ball away.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I agree about the Enciso card, I thought he was rolling it back to where it should be taken, but he have the ref a chance to flex his yellow card, which he took.

And the early cards had an impact. At one point in the second half a wolves player went to kick that ball away and stopped just as his foot was about to make contact with the ball. He grinned sheepishly and jogged off.

I think the players will learn very quickly - we were lucky yesterday that the bookings didn’t handicap us too much.
However, refs really need to be consistent with the new rules - eg: the one about not surrounding the ref was completely ignored by Fulham after they conceded that pen against Brentford. Admittedly it was very harsh, but the ref should have booked four of them if he was following the rules!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here