Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Thanks Jack. It's a Minolta 80-200 on a Sony A77ii at 120mm. Settings were 1/1250@f6.3, 200ISO, with 'wide' focal area to capture the leading horse. The focus was important - I tried centre-point focus first as that's what I'm used to, and it missed the leading horse most times - but for football you can more often get away with centre-point and tracking.

I found the most critical thing was to fix the shutter speed, and then maybe aperture - and let ISO do what it wanted. These horses are so quick, anything under 1250 ended up a bit blurry. With the the sun as it was, and speed fixed, I was pleased at how few duff shots there were.

Happy boy.

Love those shots. Cracking stuff! Gotta ask: how much trial and error does it take to get that level of sharpness? I'm guessing years of knowing what you are doing is the answer. I wouldn't know where to start :bowdown:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
was going to add some flowers but thing it will only let me do one... i like the architecture of the flower so like to do them in isolation . Also do the sort of wall of colour if i can.

flower7.JPG

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
was going to add some flowers but thing it will only let me do one... i like the architecture of the flower so like to do them in isolation . Also do the sort of wall of colour if i can.

View attachment 137309

I like that. Black and white photos of flowers are definitely worth doing.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
IMG_20210603_094619.jpg

Absolutely stunning male cock chaffer came to visit at work today. Phone pic as always, so nothing special, unlike the cock chaffer.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
IMG_20210603_164746.jpg

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Anyone still use good old film?

I've got a Coronet 020 Box Camera that I believe my grandparents bought to take photos of my dad as a little kid in the 1930s. I remember using it myself a couple of times in the 1960s - it's a real pain to frame the subject, as it's all reversed!

I'm thinking about running a few rolls of 120 black-and-white film through it, and getting some contact prints, to match the originals. At the time it would probably have been 50asa film, and it has a fixed F14 aperture lens and a 1/20s shutter.

Any recommendations for film type, and where to get it processed and printed? (Via the post; I don't live in Sussex.)

datasheet_1912_datasheet_image1.gif

I was wandering along the beach yesterday in the sunshine and came across the magnificent photo display near the site of the late West pier. If I had to pick one as a favourite it would be the view of the Palace Pier, seemingly taken from inside a curling wave.

Any of you good folk responsible for any of those photos?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Love those shots. Cracking stuff! Gotta ask: how much trial and error does it take to get that level of sharpness? I'm guessing years of knowing what you are doing is the answer. I wouldn't know where to start :bowdown:

Many thanks.

Bit of everything really. Time, trial & error, picking the right weather, positioning, knowing your camera's capabilities and what it can't do - and so on. All that helps get things like focus / speed, and so on. But ultimately, some of the sharpness is purely down to kit - I couldn't have taken those photos last month with my other telephoto. And luck - don't forget that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports