Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If you can afford a little bit extra, go for a 760d or 700d, the improved performance at high ISO will really help when taking long range nature shots. Those two, whilst good for a lot of things, won't do the job for nature photography. Ideally you want a 70d but they are a bit more expensive.

http://www.digitalrev.com/product/canon-eos-760d-dslr-body/MTEwNDA2NA_A_A

I wish I had bought the Canon 700D instead of the Nikon D3200, not the 760D though. My mistake. Too late now.

Once stuck with Nikon it is too expensive to change. Personal use preference. The Nikon may actually suit the average user better? Although the Nikon was cheaper it worked put more expensive for me with the extra lens and flashguns etc.
It is 3 years old now and more modern cameras may be better.

Last edited:

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
attachment.php

Sun Voyager, Reykjavik

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
A couple I took at Tyne Cot last Friday, was asked to help with a Year 10 trip for the school I work at. Took these two and thought they'd look good in black and white. The Cross of Sacrifice is heavily cropped to remove a random piece of rubbish that was right in the middle of the original shot. We spent the whole day visiting various battlefields and cemeteries in the Ypres area, it was an incredibly moving day, more so for me as my Great Grandfather is buried at Tyne Cot so I also got to pay my respects at his grave as well.

25527806371_6a070d1289_z.jpg

24993763893_678d64dee8_z.jpg

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Beautiful bird, picture was taken in Holland.

Bird1_zpscu0w6sym.JPG

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Ended up with a Pentax K-S2 with a 35mm Prime lense (Pentax f/2.4).
Next on the shopping list is a Samyang 14mm Prime.

2 decent lenses covering every day photography plus a nice wide-angle lense for landscape.
Not particularly fussed with anything over 35mm just yet.

It's been an expensive afternoon. :wozza:

Just noticed this, and that you ended up with a 10mm prime.

I've no doubt they are lovely lenses, but I think 10mm is in the "extreme" category rather than "everyday". I love my Canon 10-18mm lens, but its use is rather limited - brilliant for interiors, exaggerated perspective and landscapes with foreground interest, but not just for "getting more of the scene in the frame". It will simply be too small to see.

Have you had a play with it yet? You may have inspired me to do more exploring with mine! Anyone else?

There's an interesting article here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/how-to-use-ultra-wide-lenses.htm

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Just noticed this, and that you ended up with a 10mm prime.

I've no doubt they are lovely lenses, but I think 10mm is in the "extreme" category rather than "everyday". I love my Canon 10-18mm lens, but its use is rather limited - brilliant for interiors, exaggerated perspective and landscapes with foreground interest, but not just for "getting more of the scene in the frame". It will simply be too small to see.

Have you had a play with it yet? You may have inspired me to do more exploring with mine! Anyone else?

There's an interesting article here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/how-to-use-ultra-wide-lenses.htm

Hey,
I'm just back from the Marina after taking out the camera for the first time.
I've got 2 lenses, a 35mm and 10mm (both prime lenses).

I'm not sure what camera you have, but the K-S2 isn't a Full Frame camera so my 10mm lens is essentially a 15mm cropped, so not as wide as a 10mm on a FF camera by any means!

There a couple of photo's below, taken today at the Marina.
Though my 10mm lens is a manual-focus only and it's my first ever time taking a photo on a proper camera, so don't judge too much!

Also, I've exported them as Jpeg's from Raw so the quality is much lower below, plus, after uploading, I've just noticed there must be a smudge on my lens. What a noob. :dunce:

Trek TL27x 10.jpg

Trek TL27x 11.jpg

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Hey,
I'm just back from the Marina after taking out the camera for the first time.
I've got 2 lenses, a 35mm and 10mm (both prime lenses).

I'm not sure what camera you have, but the K-S2 isn't a Full Frame camera so my 10mm lens is essentially a 15mm cropped, so not as wide as a 10mm on a FF camera by any means!

There a couple of photo's below, taken today at the Marina.
Though my 10mm lens is a manual-focus only and it's my first ever time taking a photo on a proper camera, so don't judge too much!

Also, I've exported them as Jpeg's from Raw so the quality is much lower below, plus, after uploading, I've just noticed there must be a smudge on my lens. What a noob. :dunce:

I have a Canon 70D, which is also a crop-sensor, making my 10mm equivalent to 16mm. I still find it extreme compare to my other lenses, which makes it a good challenge to find the right subject.

Your photos have a nice light and "airy" feel, that would look great printed REALLY big!

As regards Jpegs versus Raw, you'll probably find the picture quality appears higher when you export to Jpeg, because it will be sharpened. The unprocessed Raw data can look disappointing when you first look at it, but there much greater scope to play with it exposure, etc. The Raw image contain much more data than can be seen on an average PC/laptop screen.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I have a Canon 70D, which is also a crop-sensor, making my 10mm equivalent to 16mm. I still find it extreme compare to my other lenses, which makes it a good challenge to find the right subject.

Your photos have a nice light and "airy" feel, that would look great printed REALLY big!

As regards Jpegs versus Raw, you'll probably find the picture quality appears higher when you export to Jpeg, because it will be sharpened. The unprocessed Raw data can look disappointing when you first look at it, but there much greater scope to play with it exposure, etc. The Raw image contain much more data than can be seen on an average PC/laptop screen.

Ah thanks!
I'm almost completely new to this to be honest, so I've been doing a lot of reading but today was the first day I've been able to have a play around.
Loving the camera though.

About to head out towards the lagoon for some sunset snaps.

I've also bagged Lightroom and Photoshop so I'll have a quick play.

Particularly interested in Astrophotography which I think the 10mm will be immense for.
Just waiting for my tripod and I'll give it a go.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Can you elaborate?
Take a photo of a white piece of paper, and look for "smudges". Then try it with another lens. If you get a smudge in the same place on both shots, you've probably got some dust on the sensor.

The manual should tell you how to clean it - Google tells me your camera "is also equipped with a DR (Dust Removal) cleaning function that uses high-speed SR vibration to remove dust from the image sensor".

Be careful - don't just jump in with a brush or blower...

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I'm almost completely new to this to be honest, so I've been doing a lot of reading but today was the first day I've been able to have a play around.

Takes a while for it all to make sense - takes some shots, do more reading, and repeat for the rest of your life!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Take a photo of a white piece of paper, and look for "smudges". Then try it with another lens. If you get a smudge in the same place on both shots, you've probably got some dust on the sensor.

The manual should tell you how to clean it - Google tells me your camera "is also equipped with a DR (Dust Removal) cleaning function that uses high-speed SR vibration to remove dust from the image sensor".

Be careful - don't just jump in with a brush or blower...

Yes - definitely don't jump in. This (above) is the best way to see if it's on the sensor or the lens. But generally speaking, stuff on the lens is likely to end up as a blur rather than what's on your photos.

Turning it on and off a few times might do the trick, because the self-cleaning function is often enough. But the most reliable way is to use a rocket blower - google 'sensor cleaning' and you'll get loads of advice.

Don't touch the sensor with the blower - you could knacker it for ever. Never blow in to it yourself, any moisture droplets really have a bad effect.

And if it persists, it needs cleaning with solution, but this is something you have to be quite brave to do (it took me months to pluck up the courage the first time!).

And of course the best thing to do is be careful when changing lenses to minimise dust intake.

Have fun.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Nikon users.

Just had a look at the Nikon D5300 in Park Cameras. Nifty little camera with a very useful articulating screen. I think it has got GPS as well (but I don't know if this works properly?) The Nikon D7200 series as not got this. Lots of focus points like the D7200.

However, the Nikon D5300 hasn't got the Commander mode for remote (OTC) flash, or a built infocus motor which might be necessary for autofocus with third party lens.

So I'm still waiting for Nikon to provide a crop sensor camera that is the real biz.

Canon have still got the edge in functionality and lens availability. Losing ground with some of their latest models though.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Afternoon all,

Venturing into the world of photography as an absolute beginner and was wondering if you could advise on which of the below two camera's I should go for.
I'm looking at purchasing one of these, plus a 75-300mm lens for distant nature shots.

:cheers:

Canon EOS 1200D

Canon EOS 100D

What camera did you get?

Farting about what went wrong with the auto-focusing tonight, Apt to repeat recommendations for a newcomer to get bridge camera like a CanonSX60. this are just so much easier whilst still extending quite a lot of scope after you have learned by mistakes.

Trouble with my D3200 Nikon it is intellligent enough to guess the auto-focusing and that;'s OK until it guesses wrong, and then I have to look at the manual cause the jargon is not intuitive for me, to find out what of the multiple settings to put it on.

View attachment DSC_7937.JPG

The darn camera focused on the brick and flint rather than the lizard cause if I got closer the lizard would have scarpered. There is a way around this but it needs a lot of practice and I have to remember what is best (depends of what settings/lens etc.) And it takes ages to adjust and any lizard would have buggerd off before I did the adjustments. The bridge cameras are a bit simpler and it is eaiser to remember what to do.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
PS: Nikon D3200 (and probaly some other Nikons?) has not external auto-focus controls, which is quite a strong argument for getting as different camera. To change the method of auto-focusing it is necessary to go into the menu system and press lots of buttons which is infuriating to say the least.

For beginners the menu system might be easier if you can understand the jargon? Avoids remembering which button to press.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
What camera did you get?

Farting about what went wrong with the auto-focusing tonight, Apt to repeat recommendations for a newcomer to get bridge camera like a CanonSX60. this are just so much easier whilst still extending quite a lot of scope after you have learned by mistakes.

Trouble with my D3200 Nikon it is intellligent enough to guess the auto-focusing and that;'s OK until it guesses wrong, and then I have to look at the manual cause the jargon is not intuitive for me, to find out what of the multiple settings to put it on.

View attachment 73111

The darn camera focused on the brick and flint rather than the lizard cause if I got closer the lizard would have scarpered. There is a way around this but it needs a lot of practice and I have to remember what is best (depends of what settings/lens etc.) And it takes ages to adjust and any lizard would have buggerd off before I did the adjustments. The bridge cameras are a bit simpler and it is eaiser to remember what to do.

Sounds like you need to get used to the settings so you can make the changes quicker. The best way to take this is to Change the aperture to get a larger depth of field.

Alternatively, (and I'm sure I'm teaching you to suck eggs) only press your shoot button halfway to see what is in focus before taking the shot. If it's not what you want, take your finger off shoot and start again. The best way to help the camera focus where you want is to have your subject in the centre and try focus. Reframe the shot, keeping the shoot button half depressed until you are ready.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here