Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
I did have two D700s, but I've just changed one to a D800 (mainly for studio work). I'm not looking for wedding work, but I'd be happy to do one with a D700 & D800. You need to adjust WB a lot due to the dramatic lighting changes in a wedding (which I appreciate you know), and I assume (the mother of all fuckups) a different body wouldn't make too much difference. Of course the lenses are important, but he already seems to be going for decent lenses. The main benefit of the D300 over the D90 is the extra buttons etc to make changing things quicker. They use the same sensor, and the D90 came out later didn't it? It's about £1150 / £1200 for a mint D700, so I'd upgrade to that level or better asap, and 2 * D300 would just delay that.

Ah, I thought you were going to say a dozen or so. I know the D200 was a good body, but that's quite a step up to the D3, so maybe that's why you gave up the D200 quickly :)

I recommended the D300 for budget as Im really into my lenses. Over the years ive gone from D2Xs, 20D, 40D, 1Ds MKII,, 5D. I could go on. My point was in regards to the dynamic range on each body was so different that I would always want to shoot with the same cameras. I dont really care too much which body I use but if someone is looking to build up a decent system then I was saying invest in the lenses and change the bodies as and when.

Love to see some of your studio work?

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
I have a Nikon D80 with an 18 - 105 lens which I bought off a mate quite cheap.
Although I've studied the manual, I'm still baffled by all the jargon and the swithches and knobs on the camera.
My motto used to be, "Put it on green and click".
As the popular consensus of opinion on here seems to be put it on P, I've done so. Then I click.
The automatic focus switches on the camera and lens are still on. I can't see what's different with the photos I've taken recently on this setting compared to the green.
Are there any recommended web sites where I can start to learn how to perhaps pick up some advice in laymans' language so I can take advantage of what I'm told is a pretty good camera?
Any advice would be great.
Your help is much appreciated.

Have a look at dpreview.com. Biggest photography forum around. If you can sift through the drivel then there is some really good advice. Bit like NSC.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Triggaaar;5001419 You could get a book like Understanding Exposure said:
Thanks everyone for your recomendations.
Triggaaar, I'll pm you if you're serious. I'm snowed under socially at the moment, so this will be in a few weeks. Thank you.

Fat Langers

Dec 27, 2007
Nice topic here!
I'm gonna pinch some of those tips too.
Got a Cannon D500 last year with a 18-55mm lens and a 75-300mm lens but still don't know how to use it all properly!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Im really into my lenses. Over the years ive gone from D2Xs, 20D, 40D, 1Ds MKII,, 5D. I could go on.
They're all digital, you must be young :)

My point was in regards to the dynamic range on each body was so different that I would always want to shoot with the same cameras. I dont really care too much which body I use but if someone is looking to build up a decent system then I was saying invest in the lenses and change the bodies as and when.
I definitely agree with the principle of investing in lenses first. My 80-200 is 20 years old :D But it sounds like Willow is getting good lenses, so I'm just trying to spend his next chunk of money. The choice between 2 * D300 or a D700 with a D90 as backup could be down to the way each tog works. Of course it's handy to have both bodies the same. I'd rather a 24-70 on the D700 and a nice price on the D90, with the 70-200 on standby, but each to their own.
Love to see some of your studio work?
I'll send you a pm.

Triggaaar, I'll pm you if you're serious. I'm snowed under socially at the moment, so this will be in a few weeks.
I'd be happy to meet up for a beer and we can either take people pictures, or meet at the Amex for some landscape fun.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I got fed up with lugging a camera and various lens around and sold up and bought a Fuji X100 fixed lens camera and love it...I do hav a p&s with a good zoom for video and the footie

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341132985.180964.jpg

Took this a few weeks ago. I honestly think its more about the person behind the camera than the camera it's self.

I remember reading a blog awhile ago, featuring shots taken on an iPhone. They were incredible!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I got fed up with lugging a camera and various lens around and sold up and bought a Fuji X100 fixed lens camera and love it...
Very nice. The market is moving towards compact system cameras, people don't need to be lugging full frame systems about.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Very nice. The market is moving towards compact system cameras, people don't need to be lugging full frame systems about.

Not strictly true. Among other things I shoot for stock libraries both here and in Europe, and none of them will take images produced by compact cameras. So for me and many others it is a case of lugging our full frame systems about. :cool:

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not strictly true. Among other things I shoot for stock libraries both here and in Europe, and none of them will take images produced by compact cameras.
I'm not talking about pros. I don't expect portrait or wedding togs to use these small systems, I'm talking about the general public, and I expect sales of these compact mirrorless systems will be higher than DSLRs soon.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Lovely position Smirko. Bit soft though ???

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Guys, i have just dropped my D600 which has a Sigma 18-200mm lens on it. When the lens is in auto mode, it will not focus, it just shakes all over the place. When I put it into manual focus, it is fine. Have I broken it for good, or can it be fixed? Due to this thread, I have started using manual everything, so it is not a big issue but a nice to have. I have left my Canon 18-55mm at home, so cannot swap lenses to try out at the moment as I am on holiday.

BTW, is the Sigma DC 18-200mm 1:3.5-6.3 any good? I bought it second hand before Xmas.

Cheers

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Just a bump and to clarify.. When the OS mode is on, the lens is very shaky and does not stop shaking when trying to focus. With OS off, auto focus and manual focus are ok. So, it is just the OS that is not working.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
When you are back from holiday, try another lense and see if that will auto focus. Once know if it's camera or lense take it to Park Cameras in Burgess Hill, they fixed a lense for me that wouldn't auto focus, although that was under warranty so didn't cost me anything. They should at least be able to advise what's wrong with it and how much it's likely to cost to fit.

If Park Cameras are too far away find a local independent camera shop to take it too.

My guess would be the drop has damaged the auto focus drive in the lense.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I'm going to Kenya in September and will be doing a weeks safari. I'm looking for something to replace my old Fuji S6500 as I've never really been happy with the results it gets.
Currently been looking at Panasonic - FZ150, Canon SX40, Sony DSC HX200 all around the £300 - £350 mark.
Anyone got any thoughts on whats best? I'm leaning towards the Canon at the moment.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Guys, i have just dropped my D600 which has a Sigma 18-200mm lens on it. When the lens is in auto mode, it will not focus, it just shakes all over the place. When I put it into manual focus, it is fine. Have I broken it for good, or can it be fixed? Due to this thread, I have started using manual everything, so it is not a big issue but a nice to have. I have left my Canon 18-55mm at home, so cannot swap lenses to try out at the moment as I am on holiday.

BTW, is the Sigma DC 18-200mm 1:3.5-6.3 any good? I bought it second hand before Xmas.

Cheers

600D, you mean?

I once dropped my 7D, with exactly the same lens, onto a concrete floor... just as I was about to board a helicopter for a trip around NYC. Grrr! Was very relieved that the lens took the brunt of the drop! (broke the mount; was fixable).

Anyway, it sounds like you've broken autofocus AND OS, so probably not worth fixing given the value of lens, but give Sigma a call. They're v helpful.

It's a decent beginner's lens. Not the best quality, but obv very convienient.

Recommend the Canon 50mm f1.8. And highly recommend the Canon 17-55mm.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
This thread seems to have lost its impetus?
Last night, I thought I'd try and take a few "light trails". My first attempt incidentally and I'm sure I'll get better.
This is one of my efforts.
It's much easier than I thought.
I believe I should include these details according to the photo mags;
Nikon D80. Nikkor 18-105 lens. 20 second exposure on f/24.

Attachments

• DSC_6141 Edit.JPG
    DSC_6141 Edit.JPG
    250.5 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here