I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Way out.

Attachments

• Way Out NSC.jpg
    Way Out NSC.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 181

Pondering on buying another camera (I still use my venerable Olympus SP - 700 from around 2006 quite a lot but have a couple of more recent ones as well). Since I have had a smartphone the GPS and ability to automatically upload via Wi-fi has made me lazy and, although my phone camera (Motorola G) is of ok quality for snaps and fine for work related photo I would like to a proper camera with these functions. Any thoughts please, £150 - £200 mark budget wise, preferablly with "on board" rechargeable battery pack. Nikon Coolpix S9700 seems to tick the boxes for this, any others that I should consider?
[h=1][/h][h=1][/h]

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Pondering on buying another camera (I still use my venerable Olympus SP - 700 from around 2006 quite a lot but have a couple of more recent ones as well). Since I have had a smartphone the GPS and ability to automatically upload via Wi-fi has made me lazy and, although my phone camera (Motorola G) is of ok quality for snaps and fine for work related photo I would like to a proper camera with these functions. Any thoughts please, £150 - £200 mark budget wise, preferablly with "on board" rechargeable battery pack. Nikon Coolpix S9700 seems to tick the boxes for this, any others that I should consider?
[h=1][/h][h=1][/h]

I would recommend a bridge camera. They don't fit in the pocket though. Make sure it has a macro setting, some don't (Canon SX40 doesn't).

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/top-10-best-ultra-zoom-bridge-digital-cameras-2014-16928

I have not tried this one but it seems OK in your budget:

http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/item/powershot-sx510-hs-5264

I have a Canon SX60 which is good but a bit expensive. A SX50 is just as good, possibly better.

Bridge camera won't do the owls pictures though. I have managed day flying swans.

It would struggle a bit with the Robin in the poor light of winter. All much better than the SP-700.

Bridge cameras just about do sunsets.

Sunset: https://www.flickr.com/photos/shoreham/16382904721/ Not as clear as the Pier picture, unfortunately. I think the pier pic was done with a DSLR? Got to be with a tripod? My pic was hand held, 1/125.

Last edited:

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
[h=1][/h][h=1][/h]

I used to own a nikon p510 bridge camera and it was fantastic. You could do full manual mode and adjust everything yourself. It had pretty much everything I wanted. I upgrade to a Slr after a while. I still have it and use it because it has a huge zoom.
You can get it on eBay for just under £100
It's worth look into, it is the older model as they have a new version out now the p530 but they start around £300

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I used to own a nikon p510 bridge camera and it was fantastic. You could do full manual mode and adjust everything yourself. It had pretty much everything I wanted. I upgrade to a Slr after a while. I still have it and use it because it has a huge zoom.
You can get it on eBay for just under £100
It's worth look into, it is the older model as they have a new version out now the p530 but they start around £300

Within budget:

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-PowerShot-SX510-HS-vs-Nikon-P510

I have a DSLR but I use the bridge camera more because it is smaller, easy to carry around and more versatile.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Nice shot and well spotted, unless you put the glove there yourself.

Given my first thumbsup regardless :thumbsup:
Thanks Shingle. It was the glove on the sign, put there by someone - not me, that drew my attention to it. Something said to me, "There's a photo.", because it was by Stanmer church yard, my mind said that it could have been someone from the past disagreeing with the sign and pointing in another direction? Perhaps someone climbing out of the sign? Anything's possible when you've got your artistic head on! I converted it to black and white to give it a spooky feeling.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I used this site for my latest lens. Can't find cheaper and no problems whatsoever.
http://www.expeditelectronics.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Nikon+Coolpix+P600+

I bought a grey import from a similar site. It took ages in arriving (anxiety) and then I thought it did not work properly, but the real answer was the camera and lens was a bit crappy as I pushed beyond its boundaries. That was mainly to do with the British weather being crap. MPB Photographic is OK for second-hand lens. No VAT paid (for good or bad).

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Nikon CoolPix P600 getting good reports and more importantly good pictures, better than my Canon SX60.

In fact, the pictures are so much better it is a bit alarming as I have put my money on a Canon.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here