General Photography thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Just getting into photography. I have a Canon 77D with a variety of lenses that came as a full kit.
I have added the nifty fifty 55mm 1.8 STM lens as well.
Very much a learner but happy to play around in P mode to try and understand different settings.

I hope to learn from a few of you guys along the way.
Here’s a couple of shots taken so far that I’m happy to have your CC on if you have time.
918c7b0e572518e92f95ec09bd2bf646.jpg

d9d27ed3d5f26ca321600856fff72cc5.jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Another stunner Jack! :thumbsup:

Particularly like the way you've kept the scabious flower head in shot, as the colours go great together.

We were fortunate enough to have a Privet Hawk Moth visit at work the other day. I took some pics on my phone, so will see if I can post them here sometime. Have some other butterfly and flower close ups too, but all on my phone, so nothing like as good as most the photos on this thread I'm afraid.

Thanks FM. This thread isn't competitive. Any photo is great. We like to see them all. Sometimes, people think their photos aren't good enough for here, but they very much are. It's as much the subject as all the technical stuff which is "supposed" to make a good photo. Please everyone, just bung all your photos on here! :thumbsup:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Just getting into photography. I have a Canon 77D with a variety of lenses that came as a full kit.
I have added the nifty fifty 55mm 1.8 STM lens as well.
Very much a learner but happy to play around in P mode to try and understand different settings.

I hope to learn from a few of you guys along the way.
Here’s a couple of shots taken so far that I’m happy to have your CC on if you have time.
918c7b0e572518e92f95ec09bd2bf646.jpg

d9d27ed3d5f26ca321600856fff72cc5.jpg

Good stuff. What you have typed, I typed almost word for word oh here many years' ago (except I have a different camera)! What seems all very incomprehensible now with A, S, P settings, ISO, etc etc will all seem so easy as you get going. Youtube has some brilliant photograpic tutorials. You'll soon understand most of your camera!!

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Good stuff. What you have typed, I typed almost word for word oh here many years' ago (except I have a different camera)! What seems all very incomprehensible now with A, S, P settings, ISO, etc etc will all seem so easy as you get going. Youtube has some brilliant photograpic tutorials. You'll soon understand most of your camera!!

Cheers....
YouTube has been invaluable so far, and I will certainly be playing around with different techniques as I learn from the guys on there. I have joined a few Facebook groups as well.
I’ve had an interest in photography for many years but now feel as I can afford to buy pretty decent lenses etc that it’s time I spent a few quid and explored this wonderfully creative hobby.
I hope to share a few photos as I get better as part of a journal within this thread.
I wouldn’t mind tagging along if there’s ever any group meetings to help me improve as well. Seeing others perspectives of composition would be another invaluable way to learn how to ‘see a shot’ so to speak.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Privet Hawk Moth. They are huge and stunning creatures! See it on my finger for scale.

20200710_123152-1.jpg

20200710_123314-1.jpg

I also took a short video of it on my finger as it started moving it's wings. But the wing beat was more like a wave than a flutter....really amazing to see. You can get a sense of the movement from the blur on the bottom corner of the left wing.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Also been having a play with close up flower shots on my phone. It doesn't have macro mode as such, I just put it on manual focus and get in as close as I can.

Water droplet on a Lupin. Cropped for effect, although I'm not sure if the cropping does it any favours :lol:

20200713_083540-1.jpg

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Morning all! I'm thinking of moving onwards (and upwards) from my entry level Canon 1100 which I use ALL the time. I want to go mirrorless, not bothered about FF.

It's got to be Sony or Fuji right? My current best guess is to go for an X-T2.

Do any of NSCs experts have an alternative suggestion?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Morning all! I'm thinking of moving onwards (and upwards) from my entry level Canon 1100 which I use ALL the time. I want to go mirrorless, not bothered about FF.

It's got to be Sony or Fuji right? My current best guess is to go for an X-T2.

Do any of NSCs experts have an alternative suggestion?

X-T2 is a great choice. Not that much different to X-T3 (I've owned both) and now v cheap.

Great, trusted place for s/h gear: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/other-brands.86/

Or Fuji refurb: https://shop.fujifilm.co.uk/digital-cameras/refurbished-digital-cameras

Also: https://www.facebook.com/groups/fuji.gear.uk/ (but some pricing seems OTT)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
A bit more playing around on my phone with close ups of flowers and insects whilst at work.

A Comma, Meadow Brown, White Tailed Bumble Bee and Green Bottle.

20200716_122016-1.jpg
20200715_085916-1.jpg
20200712_151606-1.jpg
20200713_145135-1.jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
A bit more playing around on my phone with close ups of flowers and insects whilst at work.

A Comma, Meadow Brown, White Tailed Bumble Bee and Green Bottle.

View attachment 126378
View attachment 126379
View attachment 126380
View attachment 126381

Although flies don't have a very good press, they are lovely things to photograph. They have amazing colours on their bodies which you can't really appreciate unless you see them close up in a photo as shown here.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Although flies don't have a very good press, they are lovely things to photograph. They have amazing colours on their bodies which you can't really appreciate unless you see them close up in a photo as shown here.

And valuable pollinators too. Same as wasps :thumbsup:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Attachments