Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
For a start very high earners tend to be ... in jobs where if they leave there isn't necessarily a vacancy to fill.
I've heard a lot of Tory nonsense over the years but that is close to grabbing the bourbon...

How on earth can that be true? People being paid big wages are mostly doing jobs that don't actually need doing?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I wouldn't be so sure about that. For a start very high earners tend to be entrepreneurs or in jobs where if they leave there isn't necessarily a vacancy to fill. And you might want to take a look at what happened when France squeezed their very highest earners. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/dec/31/france-drops-75percent-supertax,

I'm not sure the elderly would appreciate your Marxist zeal either. The vast majority of them will be voting Tory.

I know exactly where you are coming from and don't disagree with some of it. But it doesn't have to be my beliefs as well as those people and thankfully it isn't.

I am very aware of the tax systems and it's workings, not only in the UK but ''worldwide''.. Newspapers might tell you they will leave but in reality not as many in reality really do. The newspapers highlight the high profile ones. The big one highlighted in the 70s was Rod Stewart but he would have left anyhow. And we partly get him and others on the ''Tax Witholding'' Legislation when they tour in the UK

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've heard a lot of Tory nonsense over the years but that is close to grabbing the bourbon...

How on earth can that be true? People being paid big wages are mostly doing jobs that don't actually need doing?

Film stars, industrialists, Russian billionaires, property tycoons, internet tycoons, oil magnates etc etc etc. EXACTLY the kind of people who left France when they imposed their onerous taxes on the very rich. And when these people leave there won't necessarily be anyone to fill the gap.

I'm not trying to be funny here but I would have thought that even a cursory understanding of who make up the very wealthiest in the UK was needed before you start calling for them all to be taxed heavily.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I wouldn't be so sure about that. For a start very high earners tend to be entrepreneurs or in jobs where if they leave there isn't necessarily a vacancy to fill. And you might want to take a look at what happened when France squeezed their very highest earners. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/dec/31/france-drops-75percent-supertax,

I'm not sure the elderly would appreciate your Marxist zeal either. The vast majority of them will be voting Tory.

They still have it at 50% I think. They also have an annual Wealth Tax. France's tax burden as a percentage of GDP is 47.9% compared to our own at 34.4%, Germany 40.6%.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

No, more like they are the owner and can run their business from overseas. But like JC, you wouldn't understand how economics work now would you?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

to add to Buzzer's list, CxO's and most senior managers in most international companies could relocate to other offices and carry on from there. with technology today a small business can do this too. at the moment a lot relocate here (see the French), wouldn't take much for them to chose elsewhere if pushed too much. good riddance of course, because we dont want these people earning, and spending, so much here right? point is if even half the top 1% left, the remaining 99.5% would have to pick up the missing ~10% tax revenue, and suffer a deterioration to GDP. thats why i like the rich, because they pay for things.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
to add to Buzzer's list, CxO's and most senior managers in most international companies could relocate to other offices and carry on from there. with technology today a small business can do this too. at the moment a lot relocate here (see the French), wouldn't take much for them to chose elsewhere if pushed too much. good riddance of course, because we dont want these people earning, and spending, so much here right? point is if even half the top 1% left, the remaining 99.5% would have to pick up the missing ~10% tax revenue, and suffer a deterioration to GDP. thats why i like the rich, because they pay for things.

A bit like Brexit then?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Film stars, industrialists, Russian billionaires, property tycoons, internet tycoons, oil magnates etc etc etc. EXACTLY the kind of people who left France when they imposed their onerous taxes on the very rich. And when these people leave there won't necessarily be anyone to fill the gap.

I'm not trying to be funny here but I would have thought that even a cursory understanding of who make up the very wealthiest in the UK was needed before you start calling for them all to be taxed heavily.
I'm very happy taxing the very wealthiest a few extra percent. They can afford it and I don't want my country to be a tax haven.

If some of them leave then that will be a price worth paying to make us a better country with better values and systems - and compensated for financially by a few percent more tax paid by those other wealthy (£80K+) individuals who do not leave.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They still have it at 50% I think. They also have an annual Wealth Tax.
Yep, so when Beckham played there, instead of paying half of his salary in tax, he paid nothing at all. Nice one France.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Education-01.png

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
No wonder the Tories love tution fees, stop people from going to Uni or they'll turn into the Liberal elite. Far better to keep them in some internet warehouse on zero hours contracts

Tuition fees were first introduced across the entire United Kingdom in September 1998 under the Labour government

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I see it was all going so well for Amber Rudd at The Police Federation, having a go at Corbyn and Abbott etc, talking a good game about law and order, then a Police Officer goes and asks her what policy of law and order cuts 20,000 police officers. Careful officer, she might call you a pleb.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here